The Blood of Wolves - cops vs yakuza (2018)

whitesnake

If you like old-style yakuza films, The Blood of Wolves, a new movie from Japanese director Kazuya Shiraishi, will be released in Japan on May 12, 2018.  The film is "set in 1988 in Hiroshima, Japan, prior to the enactment of the anti-organized crime law.  A rumor exists that Detective Shogo Ogami (Koji Yakusho) has ties with the yakuza.  He is partnered with Detective Shuichi Hioka (Tori Matsuzaka) and the investigate a missing person case involving a financial company employee.  Conflicts between opposing yakuza groups become more serious."  Koji Yakusho co-starred in Tampopo, Memoirs of a Geisha, and in the upcoming Chinese-language action drama, Wings Over Everest.  Tori Matsuzaka played Ken in the 2013 live action Gatchaman movie.  Cast also includes Shido Nakamura (Red Cliff II), Yoko Maki (The Grudge), and Yosuke Eguchi (Rurouni Kenshin trilogy).  From https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film783829.html - "An urban noir by Kazuya Shiraishi about cops and gangsters in 1988 Hiroshima, based on a bestselling novel by Yuko Yuzuki.  Director of the 2013 dark thriller 'The Devil's Path,' which was widely screened abroad, Shiraishi has channeled Kinji Fukasaku's classic yakuza series 'Battles Without Honor or Humanity,' also set in Hiroshima."  Some more news at http://filmcombatsyndicate.blogspot.com/2018/02/yakuza-crime-thriller-blood-of-wolves.html

Trailer here - 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tori Matsuzaka also played the Red Ranger in Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, ShinobiRed. He also did a hilariously wonderful Bruce Lee tribute in a commercial for Lotte's Acuo Gum

Trailer with english subs. I watched this a while back and I'm by no means any authority in terms of Yakuza movies but I've thoroughly enjoyed this one. Nice story about corruption and power. Also some good twists and turns among the way. Not too heavy on action but still, recommended!

Archived