Why Do you make Custom DVDs'?

NoKUNGFUforYU

TheKungFuRobber

I have to agree with kevinz, the Tai Seng prints were mastered from laser disc's and broadcast tapes made by Ocean Shores, which were high quality full screen telecine versions. With a little color correction these look absolutely beautiful despite being presented as 1:33.1 rather than their original scope. I also like to collect the PAL versions as they have a much higher resolution and can be properly converted back to progressive cinema frame rate with very little work, and letterbox PAL movies can be converted to native 16:9 with virtually no loss in picture quality if done properly. I tend to slightly window box my films as well when mastering the MPEG2 stream to compenate for the overscan produced by TVs. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Little Deer
8 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Mantis Fists and Tiger Claws of Shaolin is an example of an EXCELLENT movie where the only version availible is Pan Scan.

Mantis Fist and Tiger Claws of Shaolin is one of the movies I've been working on. I usually have three or four projects running at once. It's not the best for productivity but I don't want to burn out and jumping between projects keeps it fresh for me.  I love Fatal Needles vs Fatal Fists I'm really happy you're giving it some love. 

No matter how you dress it up 1:33:1 ratio from 2:35:1 means you are missing a massive amount of the original composition.its a personal opinion,I struggle to enjoy full screen Kung Fu flicks.

NoKUNGFUforYU

There's a bunch of remastered stuff coming faster than you can count. Mostly from Taiwan. What I like about that is that that's pretty much the stuff I have trouble with watching as well. I usually find myself flicking on they Shaw brothers or Golden Harvest movie over and over instead of looking at some of the Taiwanese films that I have laying around. Probably the only exception is some of those hoker Cathay movies but those have been digitally restored so even though the picture isn't full screen the rest of the image is pristine.

TheKungFuRobber
11 hours ago, saltysam said:

No matter how you dress it up 1:33:1 ratio from 2:35:1 means you are missing a massive amount of the original composition.its a personal opinion,I struggle to enjoy full screen Kung Fu flicks.

Roughly 45% of the frame is lost when going to 1:33.1 from 2:35.1, to put things into perspective. I prefer original scope wherever possible too, it's just a shame that often times the only original aspect ratio versions are very badly damaged.

Half of the remastered stuff coming out, that people are customising, is from TV or a webrip so it's no wonder it only has Chinese subs.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Mostly from VOD. I imagine it is something like Netflix, fairly cheap content, but not worth investing into DVD's. Basically, it is probably public domain stuff, from what I can tell. These are usually not the first titles I would think of as being highly in demand. Some of the companies that made some of these only made one or two films then disappeared.

2 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Mostly from VOD. I imagine it is something like Netflix, fairly cheap content, but not worth investing into DVD's. Basically, it is probably public domain stuff, from what I can tell. These are usually not the first titles I would think of as being highly in demand. Some of the companies that made some of these only made one or two films then disappeared.

That makes sense. 

I make custom DVDs if/when there's an opportunity for me to improve on, or rectify an official release. It's usually just minor projects that I do for myself, but it's rewarding to see them come together.

Shaolin vs Tai Chi (remastered):

s00Rytvl_t.jpg 7WxBEjwr_t.jpg

Is there any site were people are posting custom of those ? obviously not at ADC.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I am going to do customs of these and post here. I am selling them for cheap, but the idea of posting them on ADC and having them immediately stolen and resold by FLK has no appeal anymore.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Oh yes, if I post this, bang, up it goes to his site. No credit, etc. I prefer the term custom in the case of a video that was never released in the remastered format with subs. A lot of so called "legit releases" are just people copying stuff and setting up a corporation and then selling it, with no permission from the film makers, etc. I really appreciate the work of Celestial, Shout, HK Legends and all of that. I am trying to cover the stuff that has fallen through the cracks, like Jamal had in the past. On the flip side, Angela Mao isn't getting residual checks, is she?

23 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I am going to do customs of these and post here. I am selling them for cheap, but the idea of posting them on ADC and having them immediately stolen and resold by FLK has no appeal anymore.

Please do!

TheFlyingPanda

Also as far as customs are concerned, does anyone else find themselves (also) customizing their movie cases and disc art? Some releases have horrible quality cover art... I even re-burn, split or update newer copies of disks just to upgrade the artwork. I've even thrown away some of the covers That came with DVD purchases. I'ts almost like some companies don't even try. 

IMG_2399.JPGIMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG examples. 

DragonClaws
56 minutes ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

I'ts almost like some companies don't even try. 

I dont think 90% of the ones that release Asian films are, you posted some nice looking examples of your work.

TheFlyingPanda

Here is another casing and disc cover art    Customization done for my BD Dragons Forever.BB5C7A76-5B5D-47A9-8284-7AC67A799EF7.jpeg

2F704771-6AD1-4E8D-8CB5-99B6FBB0312A.jpeg

On 9/14/2019 at 3:04 PM, DragonClaws said:

Any up-dates on the custom related projects mentioned in the previous posts?.

Same. I'm curious too if any of them were completed and available? :BL-IDontKnow:

Archived