Why Do you make Custom DVDs'?

NoKUNGFUforYU

NoKUNGFUforYU

Please Chime in, but I will give my reasons-

1.Saw a lot of the Shaw brothers and Golden Harvest at the theaters in Wide Screen in Chinatown, clean new prints, so, seeing the run of the mill is not as exciting.

2.Some great movies missed the Kung fu boom. When I was very young, I read that Bruce Lee had said that Mandarin films "were a long armed hcassle." Basically everyone else's movies sucked but his (he was a master of self promotion) Hence the interest in Cathay. For a major studio's work to go almost completely overlooked while ultra cheap bashers are treated like classics (Meng Fei....) seems like a travesty.

3. Celestial overlooked a few films, so, there's that.

4.New and really clean prints coming out of China, Taiwan and Hong Kong that they are not obligated to put English subs on. I read somewhere that it was a law, or something that there had to be English translations. Can anyone confirm?

5.Sometimes the movies are so camp, I just make something funny up, being a frustrated screenwriter. When I was a little kid one of my favorite movies was "What's up Tiger Lily?" and there was a show, Fractured Flickers that messed with the Captions for Silent Movies. It all started with Redress, no one wanted to sub it, so I made something up. Then a fellow who spoke German translated it and I have both versions. Funnily enough, another German guy said that my subs were fine the way they were, because Germans were notorious for winging the dialogue back in the 70's, so who cares!

6. I can't wait for "legit" companies to come out with restored versions. Because some are never going to happen.

7.Hopefully I can find some of the missing films on 16mm or 35mm or Betamax, and share them with everyone.

Anyway, go ahead, give your reasons.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I`m too lazy to make customs. But, there are a few titles that I might make an exception for; The Bride with White Hair is one. But, there probably is no need to make customs of Shaw Brothers films now that we have been getting true HD blu-rays coming out. Those remasters look amazing! 

3 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

4.New and really clean prints coming out of China, Taiwan and Hong Kong that they are not obligated to put English subs on. I read somewhere that it was a law, or something that there had to be English translations. Can anyone confirm?

I also read that,but I don't remember where, and when you look at some Cathay or non released Shaws' or even Taiwanese movies' posters on hkmdb, they are mostly mentioned as being English subbed, which annoys me a lo when I see that they are released on dvd in Chinese only ...when they are released !

11 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

When I was very young, I read that Bruce Lee had said that Mandarin films "were a long armed hcassle." Basically everyone else's movies sucked but his (he was a master of self promotion) Hence the interest in Cathay.

Recently posted an interview that Bruce Lee did with the South China Post in 1971, he didnt say all Asian films were bad. His said MOST of them were, which was pretty true at the time. He was also right when he said a lot of the actors all fought the same. The guy wanted to improve the industry as a whole, he experienced it from the inside. The Big Boss was one low budget movie, he'd worked U.S T.V shows that had bigger budgets.

I've done customs for my private collection. I'll usually just sync a dub or commentary track to make a more complete version of a movie. Seeing a movie frame by frame can make you appreciate different aspects of a film.  It can also drive you crazy.

Is there a place where people showcase there custom work? Just wondering what other people work on.

NoKUNGFUforYU

There are private torrent sites, but your stuff will get copied and resold by FLK and others. You can do youtube, but then there are copyright claims by people that don't actually have a legitimate claim, but they do have a set of lawyers that have youtube believing it. For example, someone claims they have the rights to Cathay's martial arts collection. MM2 bought Cathay, so that's bullshit. It's probably George Tan or some other dirtbag. You should post what you have and sell them. If you have worked on improving the product, you should benefit. If it's just a straight copy of something currently sold by a legit distributor like Celestial or Fortune Star or Shout, that's an entirely different story. I don't consider those companies that take public domain stuff (Kung Fu the Invisible Fist, etc) and make a DVD as "legit". I try to do DVD's of things that are rare and out of print, kind of like Jamal, at an incredibly lower level, LOL!

27 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

There are private torrent sites, but your stuff will get copied and resold by FLK and others.

So someone puts in all the hard work, offers it to fans for free, then some one copies it and puts a price tag on it. Never created a custom DVD in my life, but I understand a lot of work goes into it, when its done right. Too many scammers involved in this genre online, sadly. Read about people copying Michael Worths instagram posts of rare pictures, and flogging those on EBAY. The one's who lose out are the genuine fans, because things like that put people off sharing stuff online. I dont understand the mentally that, oh if someone puts something online for free, then I'm free to do as I lik with it. The lack of people paying for old school Martial Arts movies, has driven people to create, what most movie labels wont. It's those same people, that ri[ off others work and make a profit off it.

6 hours ago, Little Deer said:

Is there a place where people showcase there custom work? Just wondering what other people work on

Hong Kong Rescue have a thread to show of their work, sure anyone here could start their own, for their own Custom work.

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, teako170 said:

Did Jamal throw in the towel? He was on a roll for a while. 

Yeah I believe he retired from the scene.

Don't create anything that you don't want stolen. 

If I`m going to the trouble of making my own and spending the money for the software and taking the time, then, that is for me. I won't be sharing for free for everyone to do with it what they please. But, since I am not the "rights" owner then I have no legal right to sell it anyways. So, it is funny when people do go to that trouble, upload it then act shocked when a company like FLK (or others) take their hard work and make a profit off it. No credit, nothing. Though, a company like Hong Kong Rescue operate in a grey area, I do understand why one might turn to them. But, it becomes a problem when people go out and support them and not the legit rights owners; though, I can also understand why people don't always. I understand the pros and cons of both sides of the argument. But, it really hurts everyone when we get quality releases and people rip those to torrent sites to share with everyone or try to sell their own boots of those releases. That, in my opinion, is just plain old stealing; there is no excuse! :smile

NoKUNGFUforYU
2 hours ago, reason108 said:

Don't create anything that you don't want stolen. 

If I`m going to the trouble of making my own and spending the money for the software and taking the time, then, that is for me. I won't be sharing for free for everyone to do with it what they please. But, since I am not the "rights" owner then I have no legal right to sell it anyways. So, it is funny when people do go to that trouble, upload it then act shocked when a company like FLK (or others) take their hard work and make a profit off it. No credit, nothing. Though, a company like Hong Kong Rescue operate in a grey area, I do understand why one might turn to them. But, it becomes a problem when people go out and support them and not the legit rights owners; though, I can also understand why people don't always. I understand the pros and cons of both sides of the argument. But, it really hurts everyone when we get quality releases and people rip those to torrent sites to share with everyone or try to sell their own boots of those releases. That, in my opinion, is just plain old stealing; there is no excuse! :smile

I agree. But some of these old school movies are "owned" by people that did not pay the studios, actors, families or production staff. They just went to an entertainment law firm and put together some paperwork so they could claim stuff in the public domain that they did nothing to improve, etc. 

Little Deer
11 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Little Deer, what customs have you done?

I have a bunch of unfinished projects I seem to bounce between. I was working on a clean up of Shaolin vs Lama, but with talks of a new scan coming out I've put it on hold.  I recently finished a recut of the 18 Bronzemen.  Using the Japanese bluray I restored it to the US dubbed version I grew up with. 

19 hours ago, teako170 said:

Did Jamal throw in the towel? He was on a roll for a while. 

Over 2 years ago. He stopped at the end of 2015 I think.

TheFlyingPanda

Good Thread.

I've never done custom projects, except to fix aspect ratios or combine special features for my own collection. Even though I understand the fundamentals and studied film editing, motion graphics, authoring and special effects, I leave it to the devoted. I do indeed make my own custom covers, disc faces prints and remaster posters. Some movie covers just don't cut it... so I remake them. It's fun and I'm a full time artist so this is right at home for me. Some martial arts film covers are so bad I would like to just Illustrate a new one. Sometimes I cant find a good condition poster, so I clean it up myself and fix it, sometimes redraw parts too.  

Little Deer
14 hours ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

Even though I understand the fundamentals and studied film editing, motion graphics, authoring and special effects, I leave it to the devoted. 

What! It sounds like you should totally be making customs. I'm just figuring things out as I go and probably not very well. I was really inspired by Harmy's despecialized Star Wars project. It's something I do in my spare time, even though I probably lack the technical ability. 

TheFlyingPanda
6 hours ago, Little Deer said:

What! It sounds like you should totally be making customs.

Ha ha, I've thought about it, but I love illustration too much and can only split a bit of time.(though I love martial arts too) But if I had the capability of getting 35mm, or 16mm scans I could most likely remaster the pictures.

NoKUNGFUforYU
3 hours ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

Ha ha, I've thought about it, but I love illustration too much and can only split a bit of time.(though I love martial arts too) But if I had the capability of getting 35mm, or 16mm scans I could most likely remaster the pictures.

Guess who I will need help from when and if I can get those two Cathay movies...........at least one is 16 mm and the other is Betamax and will need color restoration to an extent......

TheFlyingPanda
2 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Guess who I will need help from when and if I can get those two Cathay movies...........at least one is 16 mm and the other is Betamax and will need color restoration to an extent......

You know were to find me my friend. :monk_meditating: I can also do poster and Image restoration too.  For the love of some of these films I would do frame by frame :laugh. let me get my hands on a Ninja in the deadly trap..

TheKungFuRobber

As you know, I have a lot of customs in the back burner right now. The two main ones I'm focusing on right now are 'Fatal Needles Fatal Fists' and 'Ninja in the Deadly Trap', but have future plans to restore other movies such as 'Ninja Terminator', 'Miss, Please Be Patient', 'Ma Su Chen's Greatest Revenge', 'Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger' and 'Bandits, Prostitutes and Silver' down the line as they are also excellent movies with some really shit releases.

EDIT: The Houndslowteam release of Miss, Please Be Patient is NOT shit. It's an excellently put together release which the Houndslowteam put their heart and soul into. I'm just making a NEW release as there is now a HD streaming version available from the KOFA.

These days i just can't watch these old martial arts movies in full screen P&S, so a lot of these customs being widescreen is a godsend to me.

TheKungFuRobber

Pan/Scan REALLY doesn't bother me sometimes, as many of these movies are but lost. Mantis Fists and Tiger Claws of Shaolin is an example of an EXCELLENT movie where the only version availible is Pan Scan.

yeah but the problem is most of the home-made widescreen print look like shit.

take for exemple Mystery of Chess Boxing, the Tai Seng fullscreen print looks awesome while the widescreen one is blurry as hell.... I honestly prefer the fullscreen :)

Archived