The Legend of the Unfinished Fu: The Lowdown on 25 Incomplete Martial Arts Flicks

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

For my latest feature over at cityonfire, I decided to delve into the tragic world of martial arts flicks that, for whatever reason, didn't end up being completed.  From contractual fall outs, through to Shaw Brothers directors being held at gun point in Amsterdam, hopefully there's something for everyone!  Check out the full feature via the link below - 

http://cityonfire.com/the-legend-of-the-unfinished-fu-the-lowdown-on-25-incomplete-fu-flicks/

unfinishedFU.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, like 85% of these movies, I forgot were even supposed to be made. I really wished that the "real" Kickboxer 5 would have been made. I was so waiting for that rather than what we got. As for Bruce Lee: Father of Jeet Kune Do, let us indeed hope Michael Worth asks Bruce Li about this. The stills look pretty decent!

7 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

I really wished that the "real" Kickboxer 5 would have been made. I was so waiting for that rather than what we got.

Its tragic what has happend to Albert Pyun, shame he didnt have anyone close to him who could have taken over the project.

Interesting read. Another movie that popped into my head was "Bui Doi Cho Lon" by the Nguyen Brothers. While it did finish production it never got to see the light of day. Despite surfacing later as a unfinished version on the Net. I still hope they will remake this or somehow release it one day. As I've enjoyed the aforementioned version tremendously.

ShaOW!linDude
1 hour ago, laagi said:

Another movie that popped into my head was "Bui Doi Cho Lon" by the Nguyen Brothers. While it did finish production it never got to see the light of day.

OAB cited this at the beginning of the article as an example of a film with its principle cinematography completed but was never released, thus excluding it from his list. He's specifically targeting movies that began but never concluded filming for various reasons.

13 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

Wow, like 85% of these movies, I forgot were even supposed to be made. I really wished that the "real" Kickboxer 5 would have been made. I was so waiting for that rather than what we got. As for Bruce Lee: Father of Jeet Kune Do, let us indeed hope Michael Worth asks Bruce Li about this. The stills look pretty decent!

Can someone post those Father of JKD stills again? I must have missed them :-(

2 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

OAB cited this at the beginning of the article as an example of a film with its principle cinematography completed but was never released, thus excluding it from his list. He's specifically targeting movies that began but never concluded filming for various reasons.

You got me there buddy :blush Just skipped right to the ranking...

So we have Wong Yue, to blame for us never getting a Hwang Jang Lee directed Shaw Brothers production.

with Hwang recalling in a 2014 interview that Wong Yue “didn’t focus on making the film, he was out of control. He did whatever he wanted. I was upset and so I wanted to change the actor, but they didn’t let me. And so I didn’t want to carry on and cancelled the project…”

When he says he was out of control, did he mean? was his ego got too big or was his work ethic poor?, could he have been getting drunk with women?, instead of turning up on set on time.

One Armed Boxer
On 2/27/2018 at 1:04 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

There's also 'Whirlwind Kick" with David Chiang. If you've ever seen David Chiang try to kick, you can see why it was dropped, LOL!

Ha!  @NoKUNGFUforYU, apart from Chiang's lamentable kicking skills, do you know the real reason why this one didn't complete filming?  The entry for it over at hkmdb has it listed as a 1977 production, and seems like it would have been his 4th movie in the directors chair as well as starring.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Little is mentioned besides the film being stalled. I have to wonder if it just wasn't that good, as we both know that Shaw's hated wasting film. It may never have gotten to past the planning stage. Or, it morphed into Shaolin Handlock, "Christ, he really can't kick- I know, he can get a guy in a chokehold, David can handle that!" :)

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Are we going to see a follow to your excellent article @One Armed Boxer, or are there no more in-complete films to cover?.

Unlike the movies listed in the feature, for now this piece is considered complete.

Archived