Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

On 11/7/2018 at 7:40 PM, DragonClaws said:

According to Author/Martial Artist Mattew Polly, during his appearance on the Clones Cast show, the one dedicated to the 1978, version of Game Of Death. Bruce Lee's jumpsuit design in GOD, was inspired by the ski wear, he wore with Roman Polansi, during their 1960's trip to Sweden?.

A group of ladies, model some vintage Ski gear, the black suit in the middle has a familiar simple design.

Link- https://thesnowmag.com/vintage-ski/

Vintage-Bogner-Blog.jpg

Now a recent post over at the BL Lives forum by Alan Canvan, reminded me of rumour/idea that was going round BL discussion forums year's ago.

This is a theory that makes more sense to me. If you think GOD was going to be this big multi layered film, this fan theory probably wont float.

Is this why he had the black stripes on his nunchaku and tracksuit?, representing the stripes of a tiger?.

b839f54c20623f55fd168f389e9f7c96.jpg

I don’t really have any theories on the jump suit or nunchucks,I do think people do try to read to much into things,maybe they just looked good at the time.If you look at all the people in the pagoda scenes each of there costumes have there own look,James Tien jeans and shirt ,Kareem shirt and shorts,I think these may have been there own clothes and they just choose to wear them during filming.I do like how Bruce/Kim tai Chung got his gear in the 78 game of death though I thought that worked well.

Edited by sym8
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sym8 said:

I don’t really have any theories on the jump suit or nunchucks,I do think people do try to read to much into things,maybe they just looked good at the time.

Cool, I think his character being a pro-fighter in the un-fnnished film, maybe the jumpsuit, would have been similar to his Yellow Faced Tiger compitition gear?. Maybe just a pair of yellow trousers, with the yellow stripe down them?.

Similar to how the Bily Lo character looks, in this slight variation of the 1978 theatrical poster.

gameofdeathfront-700x700.jpg

1 hour ago, sym8 said:

If you look at all the people in the pagoda scenes each of there costumes have there own look,James Tien jeans and shirt ,Kareem shirt and shorts,I think these may have been there own clothes and they just choose to wear them during filming.I do like how Bruce/Kim tai Chung got his gear in the 78 game of death though I thought that worked well.

Good point, what they did film, certainly looks very 70's, due to the fashion styles on display. more so than WOTD maybe?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

I know there’s been many Bruceplotaion takes on Game of death but i would like to see a big production remake based on his original story(or of what we at least know).Dont know who they would get to play the lead(maybe Donnie yen)but as long as we don’t have wire filled unbelievable stuff I think it could be interesting.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, sym8 said:

I know there’s been many Bruceplotaion takes on Game of death but i would like to see a big production remake based on his original story(or of what we at least know).Dont know who they would get to play the lead(maybe Donnie yen)but as long as we don’t have wire filled unbelievable stuff I think it could be interesting.

Sounds like a cool idea @sym8, I think Donnie Yen could put his own unique stamp on BL's old ideas.

On 11/11/2018 at 3:57 PM, sym8 said:

If you look at all the people in the pagoda scenes each of there costumes have there own look,James Tien jeans and shirt ,Kareem shirt and shorts,I think these may have been there own clothes and they just choose to wear them during filming

BL1392.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, sym8 said:

Maybe these would have been the clothes he would have used in the scenes before we get to the pagoda sequences 

Good possibility, or at least something in that vain, you wouldn't want to get alloped in the face, with those high heeled boots.

Is he wearing the same outfit below?, in the Golden Harvest car park photo-shoot?.

Maybe these shots were taken the same day, as some of the exterior filming?

Bruce-Lee-bruce-lee-27638621-564-800.jpg

r4P67u5.jpg

111291-bruce-lee877584.jpg

• Like 3

Escrima sticks vs Nunchaku, out in the New Territories with top U.S student Dan Inosanto, rehearsing for the pogoda fight?. Or were they filming an unseen sequence, BL shot for his un-finished project?. Note Lee's not wearing the brown suit, so this shoot or rehearsal, must have taken place on a different day, to the Karateka shots, with stuntmen, Yuen Wah, Peter Chan, Wu Gnan and Lam Ching-Ying?.

BL2153.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

On 11/12/2018 at 3:54 PM, sym8 said:

I don't think I'll ever be satisfied seeing someone else playing the characters Bruce Lee or anyone else originated. If it's to be done, I would rather see it done as an anime. Something on the more realistic side and not over-stylized or over the top.

• Like 4

On 11/13/2018 at 3:25 AM, DragonClaws said:

Good possibility, or at least something in that vain, you wouldn't want to get alloped in the face, with those high heeled boots.

Is he wearing the same outfit below?, in the Golden Harvest car park photo-shoot?.

Maybe these shots were taken the same day, as some of the exterior filming?

Bruce-Lee-bruce-lee-27638621-564-800.jpg

r4P67u5.jpg

111291-bruce-lee877584.jpg

Looks like a match to me. I'm thinking the photos of Lee with the Mercedes were probably taken the same day and in the same place as the GOD photos in the New Territories...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shaolivevil said:

. I'm thinking the photos of Lee with the Mercedes were probably taken the same day and in the same place as the GOD photos in the New Territories... 

The shots with the car were taken at Golden Harvest, in the car-park there. You can see some of the buildings in the back-ground of the shots. You would see more of the studios, if the images hadnt been cropped.

• Like 1

Deviant Art is a name associated with a lot of creative online BL art-work, here's some more of the artists G.O.D themed work's.

Source - https://www.deviantart.com/madpenciler/art/bruce-lee-god-suit-2012-295466923

bruce_lee_by_jiangming-d335j37.jpg

bruce_lee_god_suit_2012_by_madpenciler-d

Another unqiue interpretation of the Hai Tien character, this time by aother artist Rick Marin. Interesting to see how different artist's put there own slant/ideas on the same subject matter.

Source - https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/rickmarin/bruce-lee

69405_rickmarin_bruce-lee.jpg?f126159026

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Bruce Lee pushed himself hard when making any movie, but the more success he had, the more pressure he felt to, top what he did before.

Here is an outake from the footage he filmed, where's he fluffed a nunchaku kata, even a man of his superb ability, was only human.

5f48a8a23df5c4b9540ff5b1f4b66ba1--death.

4e69b0bc08db571e5bbbab12d19f5a27.jpg

• Like 2

Deleted scene, from the 1978 film, directed by Robert Clouse.

(L-R) Hugh O'Brien, Dean Jagger, Bob Wall, Me Novak, Dan Inosanto.

MV5BN2I0OTFjMWQtYzk4Yy00YmQ5LTg5ZTEtYzYw

• Like 1

Bob Wall takes down Sammo Hung, in a scene from the 1978 Robert Clouse Directed film.

original-film-title-game-of-death-englis

Golden Harvest hired a motorbike stunt team from Australia, for this stunt heavy, warehouse set action sequence.

Alternative ending, featuring Collen Camp, Gig Young, and one of the BL doubles.

Kim Tai-Chung, as Billy Lo, battles Dr Lands syndicate.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2018 at 12:25 AM, DragonClaws said:

Deleted scene, from the 1978 film, directed by Robert Clouse.

(L-R) Hugh O'Brien, Dean Jagger, Bob Wall, Me Novak, Dan Inosanto.

MV5BN2I0OTFjMWQtYzk4Yy00YmQ5LTg5ZTEtYzYw

Hmmm... looks like it's the same scene that was filmed, only with "stick" being shirtless. I'm turned on.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mpm74 said:

Hmmm... looks like it's the same scene that was filmed, only with "stick" being shirtless. I'm turned on.

Probably a rehersal before the camera rolled

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mpm74 said:

4 hours ago, shukocarl said:

Probably a rehersal before the camera rolled

Well spotted, and Bob Wall's going for the man in black look.

There's supposed to be a deleted scene, of the crooks all playing monopoly? lol.

• Like 1