Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

For those who havent sen the Cantonese version, from the 1978 film.

(Link Expired)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Hector Martinez – Urban Kung Fu “Game of Death” Edition

Link- https://nostalgiaking.com/2017/08/28/hector-martinez-urban-kung-fu-game-of-death-edition/

Ok, this is no knock on the above pod-cast, but I've never totally bought the idea GOD was going to be this BIG philosophical film, like Silent Flute was intended to be. I've not doubt BL, was trying to do something different, but just how deep/mult-layered it would have been?, who knows?. Maybe it would have had a more Super natural/Sci-Fi elements to it, with Kareems character?. The dalogue Lee did film, shows he was going for something much deeper than his previous movies, which lets face it, wasnt very hard to do. It's just the dialogue he did leaves us behind, for the un-finnished film, is pretty hokey stuff, when compared with his work with Sterling Silliphant on the Silent Flute scripts.

BL1833.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Excerpt from this article by Gary LamLink- https://zh-cn.facebook.com/garylamwingchunoc/posts/634751479924284

Sifu Wong once spoke to me of an occasion when he and Lee began to discuss their favourite topic early one evening, retiring to the hallway while their wives sat with their children watching the television.

At 7.00am the next morning they were still there, having talked, trained and tested their martial theories right through the night!

Lee was keen to involve Wong in his movies, offering him a part in "Game of Death", specifically the role that was later to be played by basketball star Kareem Abdul Jabbar, that of Lee's final opponent at the top of the "Tower of Death" at the end of the film.

"My character was to have beaten Bruce," Wong told Bey Logan in a 1986 interview for Britain's 'COMBAT' magazine, "...but he would still have managed to kill me! I told him that I didn't want to go and die in my first movie!" Wong also added that, "...(besides) I wasn't in dire financial straits at the time, so I didn't have to do the film (just) to make money."

However, Lee wasn't one to give up easily and, when shooting "Enter the Dragon" in Hong Kong, he invited Wong to come "on location" to discuss the fight scenes.

Guilin-at-night-3-1024x680.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

According to Author/Martial Artist Mattew Polly, during his appearance on the Clones Cast show, the one dedicated to the 1978, version of Game Of Death. Bruce Lee's jumpsuit design in GOD, was inspired by the ski wear, he wore with Roman Polansi, during their 1960's trip to Sweden?.

A group of ladies, model some vintage Ski gear, the black suit in the middle has a familiar simple design.

Link- https://thesnowmag.com/vintage-ski/

Vintage-Bogner-Blog.jpg

My father chose the yellow-and-black tracksuit that he wore in Game of Death to represent his idea of “the style of no style.” In that movie, he fights on different levels of a pagoda, and on each level he encounters a different master of a specific style and they’re each wearing a distinct uniform and using distinct weaponry. He wanted to wear something that didn’t signal that he was affiliated with any particular style — he was instead representing himself and his own style. - Shannon Lee

Link- https://medium.com/items/talking-about-bruce-lees-iconic-tracksuit-with-shannon-lee-d764875b1552

Now a recent post over at the BL Lives forum by Alan Canvan, reminded me of rumour/idea that was going round BL discussion forums year's ago.

This is a theory that makes more sense to me. If you think GOD was going to be this big multi layered film, this fan theory probably wont float.

The color of the tracksuit and sneakers was chosen for a much simpler and more theatrical reason: the Hai Tien character's fighting nickname was " yellow faced tiger". His fighting gear matched the colors of a tiger. - Alan Canvan BL Lives Forum

Is this why he had the black stripes on his nunchaku and tracksuit?, representing the stripes of a tiger?.

b839f54c20623f55fd168f389e9f7c96.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Should Golden Harvest have brought Kim Tai Chung back as Bobby Lo, for one more Gameof Death?. The film was made ainly for the Japanese market, where the 78 version of G.O.D, where it brought in more money, than all of Bruce Lee's actual films, cobined.

• Like 1