Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Hai Tien(Bruce Lee) fights for his life, against a mysterious fighter(Kareem Abdul Jabba), in the climax of GOD.

BL1341.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

http://storage.canalblog.com/79/97/399135/48131366_p.jpg

Unicorn and BL, in the New Teritories, during filming for GOD.

Unicorn Chan & His role in the GOD

Most fans know that life long friend to Bruce Lee, Unicorn Chan, was set to have a role in Game of Death. There are many pictures of him on the set at Golden Harvest, and on location in Hong Kong's New Teritories. Around the same time, Unicorn Fist was released, with the secretly filmed BL footage inserted into the film(Did more Lee footage appear in the original Hong Kong theatrical release)?. This must have soured their relationship, can anyone confirm if Lee still planned to cast Unicorn in Game of Death, or would he have re-cast him?. After the whole legeal dispute?.

Unicorn Chan can be spotted next to the Japanese Business men, who got a sneek peek of the GOD set.

Lee, Chih Yuen, and Wu Ngan can also be spotted.

56118274.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Phantom Dreamer

Bruce Thomas's biography Fighting Spirit emphasized that Unicorn Chan was not featured in any Game of Death footage. Whether or not he would eventually be cast is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
16 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Bruce Thomas's biography Fighting Spirit emphasized that Unicorn Chan was not featured in any Game of Death footage.

That wasnt a bad biogrpahy when it first came out. Yeah he never filmed any footage, but wasnt he supposed to be part of the team, that goes to the Island?.

• Like 2

Phantom Dreamer
9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

That wasnt a bad biogrpahy when it first came out. Yeah he never filmed any footage, but wasnt he supposed to be part of the team, that goes to the Island?.

He could have been, but there were probably dozens of actors back then better suited, but Bruce was loyal to his friends, even those directly or indirectly associated with a lawsuit.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, shukocarl said:

I thought it was titled MEIN LETZER KAMPF (My Last Fight?) in Germany.

Never knew about the alternative german a.k.a @shukocarl. Maybe the lobby card I posted was from a later re-release?.

Here's a German VHS release, with the title you mentioned.

game-of-death-german-movie-cover.jpg

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Turkish lobby card, featuirng Hug O Brian, Colleen Camp, and a Kareem Abdul Jabbar body double.

The second lobby card, features the real KAJ, as he appeared in the original 1972 film.

391307319419_1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

sifu iron perm
11 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Turkish lobby card, featuirng Hug O Brian, Colleen Camp, and a Kareem Abdul Jabbar body double.

The second lobby card, features the real KAJ, as he appeared in the original 1972 film.

391307319419_1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

i wish the GOD cinema release featured Kareem in the gallabiyah (the blue dress he is wearing).

• Like 1

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, sifu iron perm said:

i wish the GOD cinema release featured Kareem in the gallabiyah (the blue dress he is wearing).

Yeah for some reason they ditched it, but they couldnt get Kareem to come back, not sure if they even tried to get Ji Han-Jae?.

Wonder if Lee filed more footage with Kareem in 72?.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Yeah for some reason they ditched it, but they couldnt get Kareem to come back, not sure if they even tried to get Ji Han-Jae?.

Wonder if Lee filed more footage with Kareem in 72?.

I don't know how much you can read into this, but Alex Ben Block's book on Bruce back then said that he just decided not to finish Game of Death as there were better projects coming up from international producers with big bucks. If you look at the film another way, it seems to be a vanity piece, where Bruce spouts of JKD slogans and whips up all the other classical styles. He may have thought it was a little over the heads of most people and wanted to be the first international Asian James Bond instead. I mean if he had not died and cranked out a few dozen martial arts flicks, we probably wouldn't be worried about this, as while it is weird fighting Jabbar, the only really great fight in the bunch is fighting Inosantos.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
7 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I don't know how much you can read into this, but Alex Ben Block's book on Bruce back then said that he just decided not to finish Game of Death as there were better projects coming up from international producers with big bucks. If you look at the film another way, it seems to be a vanity piece, where Bruce spouts of JKD slogans and whips up all the other classical styles. He may have thought it was a little over the heads of most people and wanted to be the first international Asian James Bond instead. I mean if he had not died and cranked out a few dozen martial arts flicks, we probably wouldn't be worried about this, as while it is weird fighting Jabbar, the only really great fight in the bunch is fighting Inosantos.

The whole mystery around the movie, really helps with the enigma and interest the movie still attracts. Often wondered if he filmed multiple version of those three fights?. Not with different setting or choreography, but gradually improving them.With the use of different angles etc. He didnt appear to create that much, in a period of time in which he would have made two Hong Kong movies. When you consider how long it took them to film other flicks of the era, inlcuding the few he made.

I'e never read Alex Ben Block's book, I appreciate the feedback too.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Behind the scenes still, from the 1978 movie version.

Featuring Kim Tai Chung in the Billy Lo costume.

KimTaChungGOD78.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
On 6/10/2018 at 2:16 AM, shukocarl said:

I thought it was titled MEIN LETZER KAMPF (My Last Fight?) in Germany.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Colleen Camp, in Hong Kong, posing for a promotional image, that would later appear on some lobby cards for the 1978 version.

ColeenCamp1.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

Facing third floor guardian Ji Han Jae, would this footage have appeared in the final cut?.

bb013c09c3133ce7f6ffb114f63d0941--the-ga

• Like 1

DragonClaws

I don't think Kareem Abdul Jabbar's character, would have looked as menacing in a flowery one peice?.

1ffaeed0ab1d79929bdb1954fec24934--the-ga

While I cant imagine Kareem performing a kick wearing one of these, maybe if they had modified the design he could have?.

You get much better sense of the mans height here, which is lost in the film, and I think he looks better here, than in those short's.

8145ca1425fb7c96aa063ababdec4803--brice-

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Anyone name the guy with his back to the camera, Golden Harvest employee or guest?.

45d9ffc04d815ebe774e3e0b61aff6e5.jpg

Lee choreographs the Kareem Abdul Jabbar showdown, in the bottom right hand image.

1813870e4ca013316383286b9e2099c6.png

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Just a very small sample, of some original GOD notes, written by the late Mr Lee himself.

(Content Removed)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1