Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

GOD-sketch.jpeg

513292672_84c41f7bee_b.jpg

Did Bruce make a mistake in his original sketch where the guards would of been outside the pagoda and not on the bottom floor as his sketch show 6 floors when the actual Pagoda only has five?

• Like 1

Just now, PandaPawPaw said:

Did Bruce make a mistake in his original sketch where the guards would of been outside the pagoda and not on the bottom floor as his sketch show 6 floors when the actual Pagoda only has five?

Maybe they planned to add a sixth floor using special optical effects using the Korean location?.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:54 AM, PandaPawPaw said:

This video give more context and makes sense of the BTS footage of GOD.

That footage (with sound) is probably my favorite "off screen" footage of Bruce Lee, I just wish someone could give us a cleaned up, more "watchable" version of it. Do we know with any certainty who filmed it and/or has the original film? Is a better picture quality version even a possibility?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Bruce said:

That footage (with sound) is probably my favorite "off screen" footage of Bruce Lee, I just wish someone could give us a cleaned up, more "watchable" version of it. Do we know with any certainty who filmed it and/or has the original film? Is a better picture quality version even a possibility?

I heard Robert Lee had the original but gave it back to the estate.

I think it was a private showing (by who I don't know) but someone recorded it on the sly.

I was hoping it was going to be on the ARROW set but sadly not. :(

• Like 2

Did a quick search and got lucky and found the text form from Wiki - 行发禾嘉 - 品出和協.

品出和協 is A Concord Production I think.

220px-Concord_production_inc.jpg

1200px-Concord_Production_Logo.svg.png

Googled 行发禾嘉 but that's giving me - Xingfa Hejia which I have no idea what that is...................

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

fb0e1ed0-fbfa-4090-959a-01993615fd08.jpg

What's the toothy thing behind Kareem?

Inosanto.png.24b09ff5c44f80d72e3211b8cd7d1680.png

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

2 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

Inosanto.png.24b09ff5c44f80d72e3211b8cd7d1680.png

I thought it was that but I didn't remember it having teeth. Why is this the first time I noticed the teeth!? :o

Thanks. :D

• Like 2

I thought it was that but I didn't remember it having teeth. Why is this the first time I noticed the teeth!? :o

Temple of The Tiger, the tigers teeth.

• Like 1

GoldenHarvestConcordLogos.jpg.29c48aede17dd0dff33b967db87c5444.jpg

My attempt at recreating the old GH and Concord logos. I changed the Chinese font style on the Concord logo to make it a bit more snazzy.

I think they turned out pretty good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Are there any external photos of the GOD set? I'm curious to see how it looked as I've only seen onset photos.

There might be more photos from Bruce Lee's trip to Korea?, where he was taken pictures of the pogoda etc. I dont think GH would have built a replica for the exterior shots, when they planned to use real on location shots from Korea?.

11 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

There might be more photos from Bruce Lee's trip to Korea?, where he was taken pictures of the pogoda etc. I dont think GH would have built a replica for the exterior shots, when they planned to use real on location shots from Korea?.

Sorry I meant the actual stage/set they built for the guardian fights/floors not the Pagoda itself. I'm just curious how it looked on the outside before entering the set.

Kinda like this -

BERLIN_Set_Model_01.jpg

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 1

Sorry I meant the actual stage/set they built for the guardian fights/floors not the Pagoda itself. I'm just curious how it looked on the outside before entering the set.

It was built inside the Golden Harvest soundstages, so if you had gone off set. All you would have seen is the concrete walls of the sound stages. There might be more pictures yet unseen, that reveal more of the BTS stuff and how the set looked from different angles. I’m guessing that due to the limited space and size of the soundstages, the pagoda walls would have been added to the inner walls?. Each set would have had three walls, with one section missing to enable the film crew to capture the scenes. They filmed one level, then re-arranged the set added some different props etc, and shot the next segment. They didn’t have three separate sets, set up all at the same time. If they had filmed this on an American budget, they could have done this.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

It was built inside the Golden Harvest soundstages, so if you had gone off set. All you would have seen is the concrete walls of the sound stages. There might be more pictures yet unseen, that reveal more of the BTS stuff and how the set looked from different angles. I’m guessing that due to the limited space and size of the soundstages, the pagoda walls would have been added to the inner walls?. Each set would have had three walls, with one section missing to enable the film crew to capture the scenes. They filmed one level, then re-arranged the set added some different props etc, and shot the next segment. They didn’t have three separate sets, set up all at the same time. If they had filmed this on an American budget, they could have done this.

Yeah I know about the soundstages and rearrangement of the set etc. I was just curious to see how big/high the set was as the main part would of been off the floor as it had stairs going down unless the going down bit was specially arrange just for that one scene.

Him going down at the end shows how deep height wise the set was.

Just me being curious though, no biggie. :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Him going down at the end shows how deep height wise the set was.

At least the height of the sound stage walls, Im not sure how high the walls were?. Kareems seven foot at least, and he didnt look all that cramped on his set. There's a lot of space between his head and the top of the set.

• Like 1

Is Kareem's style actually Mantis and not Unknown? I saw it listed on WIKI but that can't be trusted and I thought that was the 2nd floor style. :wondering

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 1

Is Kareem's style actually Mantis and not Unknown? I saw it listed on WIKI but that can't be trusted and I thought that was the 2nd floor style. :wondering

There are picture of him posing in this style, maybe they ditched this idea later on?. There are shots of Kareem topless fighitng Hai Tien. From the promoitional film, did they re-shoot the figh in a different way when Kareem returned to Hong Kong?.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

There are picture of him posing in this style, maybe they ditched this idea later on?. There are shots of Kareem topless fighitng Hai Tien. From the promoitional film, did they re-shoot the figh in a different way when Kareem returned to Hong Kong?.

Yeah I thought of this picture right away.

tumblr_ohpzdzwTsn1syv3zao1_1280.jpg

Yeah I feel lots of changes probably happened but BL original sketch just said 'unknown'. Maybe they were testing to see how it looked?

• Like 3

9407944579_126a984999_o.jpg.31dd78132db4561b8a02dfa7ab53bdf8.jpg

I think this picture (of a different movie) gives a better idea of how big the set would of been.

golden-harvest-chairman-raymond-chow-on-

Like you say @DragonClaws there probably wasn't much space outside the set as it was very big.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Yeah I feel lots of changes probably happened but BL original sketch just said 'unknown'. Maybe they were testing to see how it looked?

3 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Like you say @DragonClaws there probably wasn't much space outside the set as it was very big.

Kareem is playing the ultimate opponent, and one who doesn’t have any set style of fighting. Relying purely on his brute size and strength to overcome his opponents. If they had given him the Mantis style, then it changes the whole context of their fight. The fight would have been more similar to the one of the previous two floors. Where Hai Tien adapts and changes his style, based on the fighting style of his foes. When facing Kareem character, his not able to copy or mimic his style. He’s facing a seven-foot man who is unlike any of his other opponents in the film. You get the sense; he's literally fighting for his life in the last fight. After swaggering his way through the previous levels. His facial reaction at the start of the face-off pretty much sums it all up.

• Like 3