Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

1 hour ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Now that I have had chance to view the Arrow edit in the Final (?) Game of Death, I wonder what will happen regarding Alan  Canvan's Redux 2.0? Is this in a rights limbo now? Has Arrow's version consigned it to a "lost films" category for good? I had good hopes for it as it featured John Barry's original music cues and was supposed to be leaner and faster. There were parts of Arrows version that I liked, including the legndary "log fight" but it still moves slowly liike the Artport edit and the voice for Bruce Lee was totally wrong. A good try all round but I suspect that Redux 2,0 will turn out to be the better version.

Caravan is probably redoing his version using Arrows footage.

33 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Could be but I have the feeling he was politely asked to stop production on it so Arrow could release their own version. I could be wrong but him being in the special thanks section insinuates that to me. If I'm wrong I'm sure he'll come back and launch a tirade about how wrong I am and how Bruce Lee's spirit is speaking through his brain waves or whatever.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

Could be but I have the feeling he was politely asked to stop production on it so Arrow could release their own version. I could be wrong but him being in the special thanks section insinuates that to me. If I'm wrong I'm sure he'll come back and launch a tirade about how wrong I am and how Bruce Lee's spirit is speaking through his brain waves or whatever.

I was curious if you know how Caravan was able to release his first version of GOD using Artports footage. Isn't there like a rights issue or something.

Not accusing him of anything but I don't get how it's possible as he clearly didn't get the rights to it.

4 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I was curious if you know how Caravan was able to release his first version of GOD using Artports footage. Isn't there like a rights issue or something.

Not accusing him of anything but I don't get how it's possible as he clearly didn't get the rights to it.

He got permission from Criterion as far as I know, he knew one of the producers from the boxset.

• Like 1

CastleOfDeath

There's a Redux 3.0 coming where Caravant will dub all the actors in GOD, and face replace Bruce Lee with his own face.

• Haha 2

Gung Fu Movie Guy

Any fan boy can do their own version of 'GOD' now that Arrow have released all the footage. 20 years ago I might have had a crack at it myself. I thought Redux was terrible. I've seen all the other efforts before it. For me the Arrow edit is the best one by far. Only thing I didn't like was the voice acting. That was awful. 

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

So I just saw Redux. We all have our own opinions and I liked it better. Pity the 'log sequence' wasn't available. It did move faster.

CastleOfDeath

The problem with Redux is that it's edited from the perspective of today.

Not, at any point in 1972, would GH, or Bruce, or anyone have edited the material that fast. Why because it was 1973 not 2023 and Michael Bay did not exist then.

It might please someone watching it today, but it's just fan edit wank. The final GOD is the final version and final word on the subject. 

• Like 3

Ok I've just got back from seeing ETD at the cinema, and I'm just spitballing here.

Even though Bruce is the main character in ETD it is an ensemble piece. Do you think the public wouldve excepted another ensemble film as a way to integrate some or all of the GOD footage, whether it be a Sequel to ETD, or an original film?

8 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Ok I've just got back from seeing ETD at the cinema, and I'm just spitballing here.

Even though Bruce is the main character in ETD it is an ensemble piece. Do you think the public wouldve excepted another ensemble film as a way to integrate some or all of the GOD footage, whether it be a Sequel to ETD, or an original film?

I doubt they would of cared. Just seeing more or another film with BL would of been more than enough.

ETD showed he could be 'the man' so if he had lived then he'd probably not want to be apart of an ensemble so soon plus he became a box office draw so his movies would of sold on just his name alone and would of given studios the confidence in him.

On 8/25/2023 at 5:22 AM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Now that I have had chance to view the Arrow edit in the Final (?) Game of Death, I wonder what will happen regarding Alan  Canvan's Redux 2.0? Is this in a rights limbo now? Has Arrow's version consigned it to a "lost films" category for good? I had good hopes for it as it featured John Barry's original music cues and was supposed to be leaner and faster. There were parts of Arrows version that I liked, including the legndary "log fight" but it still moves slowly liike the Artport edit and the voice for Bruce Lee was totally wrong. A good try all round but I suspect that Redux 2,0 will turn out to be the better version.

From what I hear, it will be released in tandem with or as part of his Game of Death documentary. No idea on the release date.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 9:07 PM, Josh Baker said:

Its guys like you that perpetuate stories like the missing samurai floor in Game of Death. A compulsive need  for conjecture?

On 8/27/2023 at 5:53 AM, CastleOfDeath said:

Give a dog a bone.

Or maybe give you one? You seem in dire need mate.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:31 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

Putz.

8 hours ago, CliveReston said:

Its guys like you that perpetuate stories like the missing samurai floor in Game of Death. A compulsive need  for conjecture?

I've never perpetrated conspiracy theories about Game of Death. Stop being combative and rude with people for no reason at all.

8 hours ago, CliveReston said:

Or maybe give you one? You seem in dire need mate.

You need a thicker skin

Edited by Josh Baker
  • Like 2

Moderation Team

Okay, that's enough.

A lot of you don't like Alan Canvan's work. Everyone's heard now. It's been expressed over and over and over. This is an "appreciation thread" not a "bashing thread". As has been said before, all respectful opinions are welcome. We don't want to delete people's posts as that's not the climate we want here, but if this continues we will. And if there's nothing left to say here other than insults this thread will be closed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm working on a GOD drawing and wanted to know if the following details are correct or need fixing?

5th Floor.

Temple of the Unknown.

Guardian: Kareen Abdul-Jabbar.

Style: Unknown.

4th Floor.

Temple of Gold or Temple of the Dragon?

Guardian: Ji Han-Jae.

Style: Hapkido.

3th Floor.

Temple of the Tiger.

Guardian: Dan Inosanto.

Style: Escrima.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I'm working on a GOD drawing and wanted to know if the following details are correct or need fixing?

5th Floor.

Temple of the Unknown.

Guardian: Kareen Abdul-Jabbar.

Style: Unknown.

4th Floor.

Temple of Gold or Temple of the Dragon?

Guardian: Ji Han-Jae.

Style: Hapkido.

3th Floor.

Temple of the Tiger.

Guardian: Dan Inosanto.

Style: Escrima.

Thats correct

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, greenbamboo said:

The top floor is tiny so that would be the treasure and therefore Kareem would be moved to the 4th floor.

File:Korea-Boeun-Beopjusa Palsangjeon 1782-06.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Yeah I always thought Taky Kimura would be on the ground floor and Hwang In Sik would be outdoors with the other Stuntman from the outdoor footage in the original plan. 

• Like 1

If you think about it, wasn't it a waste of time for BL and Co to even go in the Pagoda as they or BL at least go back down with nothing above Kareem's floor? I would of preferred something above floor 5 even if it was just treasure/mirror/teddy bear.

• Like 1