Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

PandaPawPaw

03553397460.jpg

Is the main image of BL a bad photoshop? It looks really awkward and what's going on with his trainer laces?

• Like 3

Josh Baker
5 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

03553397460.jpg

Is the main image of BL a bad photoshop? It looks really awkward and what's going on with his trainer laces?

Yes it is- always found this Japanese poster incredibly awkward but had an awkward film to work with.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
16 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Looks like a combination of G.O.D images, of Bruce Lee barefooted in the Game of Death suit, with a bad photoshop of some trainers added on.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

Anyone seen Final Game of Death yet? 

Yes. I watched it on Wednesday night. It's absolutely superb and the quality is stunning.

The new intro credit sequence blew me away and gets you right in the mood for what's about to follow.

It tops any edit of the footage that has come before it. Whether it be Artport, A Warrior's Journey or the god awful crap-ness that was Redux.

• Like 7

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, fabhui said:

Yes. I watched it on Wednesday night. It's absolutely superb and the quality is stunning.

The new intro credit sequence blew me away and gets you right in the mood for what's about to follow.

It tops any edit of the footage that has come before it. Whether it be Artport, A Warrior's Journey or the god awful crap-ness that was Redux.

I watched all three this week in preperation.

Warrior's Journey - dated in that it's not 16:9 enhanced, with the subtitles for the Cantonese dialogue hidden if you use the zoom on your TV. John Little's Bruce impression is better than in Enter the Drgon, Kareem sounds half asleep, and Ji Han-jae mangles the English language in ways you wouldn't think possible. Dan Inosanto's non-participation (possibly due to his split with Shannon Lee's re-branding of Jeet Kune Do?) results in him not being clearly seen in the opening credits! Some very nice music.

Artport - Bey Logan adds to his crimes with a cringey Elmer Fuddish impersonation of Bruce, and the editing is awful, with lots of shots of the actors waiting for their cues. Some excellent music though, including a funky rock version of John Barry's Game of Death theme.

Redux - I like the idea of using John Barry's Game of Death score (great music deserves great footage) but the missing dialogue (mostly Kareem's) and annoying switching back-and-forth between Bruce Lee and Chris Kent for the fight sounds gets really annoying.

• Like 4

Coliseum1972
On 7/5/2023 at 4:49 PM, DragonClaws said:

Looks like a combination of G.O.D images, of Bruce Lee barefooted in the Game of Death suit, with a bad photoshop of some trainers added on.

in the Way japanese brochure (backalley scene : theyve photoshopped Lee barechested and Coliseum in the background , its the scene where Nelsson gets hit

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 2

PandaPawPaw
12 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

This hand on the screen all along the first clip is soooooo annoying !!

Hell yeah! That annoys the hell out of me!

What is even the point of it?

• Buddha Bless You 1

C_oqJyAWsAA15-c.jpg

So that's the pagoda BL was going to use in GOD but why does Kareem's floor have stairs going up as that would lead to nothing surely. A mistake by the set designer?

• Like 3

CastleOfDeath

I don't think so, the last stairs probably lead to a tiny room with a mirror, that's what I always thought even before the original movie came out (as by 1975, most of the film intent was already printed in many magazines).

Clouse just ruined the whole thing when he wanted to do an american film instead of an HK film, which GOD always was.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CastleOfDeath said:

I don't think so, the last stairs probably lead to a tiny room with a mirror, that's what I always thought even before the original movie came out (as by 1975, most of the film intent was already printed in many magazines).

Clouse just ruined the whole thing when he wanted to do an american film instead of an HK film, which GOD always was.

Game of Death was not, and was never meant to be a typical HK film. That was one if the reasons Raymond Chow and Bruce had conflict about the script in that it wasn't a revenge driven movie. Clouse's film is vastly underrated. 

• Like 2

CastleOfDeath

Of course the original had ambition, but if, as I think, the 77 GOD was the first half-hour of GOD2, which was going to lead to the pagoda footage, then it just was a typical HK movie.

It's obvious Clouse just wiped it all (just reusing some ideas like the funeral footage), and made an american film instead.

Remember though, most of the fights in the film are directed by Samo Hung during late reshoots. So Clouse, really, has nothing on that film, all the worse stuff is his fault.

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
3 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

So in GOD '78, who is John (Billy McGill)?

The only character I can think of is Bob Wall's friend at the match.

It's actually the Kareem double seen in two scenes.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

Now that I have had chance to view the Arrow edit in the Final (?) Game of Death, I wonder what will happen regarding Alan  Canvan's Redux 2.0? Is this in a rights limbo now? Has Arrow's version consigned it to a "lost films" category for good? I had good hopes for it as it featured John Barry's original music cues and was supposed to be leaner and faster. There were parts of Arrows version that I liked, including the legndary "log fight" but it still moves slowly liike the Artport edit and the voice for Bruce Lee was totally wrong. A good try all round but I suspect that Redux 2,0 will turn out to be the better version.

• Like 2