Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

tomgray2404
1 hour ago, Josh Baker said:

This is the photo I was referring to- notice how he is wearing Bruce's Brown ETD outfit instead of the blue one, and the lockers are positioned differently than in the final film- could be a promo pic, but it doesnt make sense to me they'd go out of their way to change so much of the set and change Kim's costume just for a promo pic. I think this is from an earlier version of the fight.

Screenshot 2022-03-11 175415.png

Yeah, I think old Bob might have told the truth with this one. Sammo's "pow powder" is all over Wall's hands and chest. You wouldn't use that for promo pics. Now our goal is to get a hold of the alternate fight scene.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomgray2404 said:

Yeah, I think old Bob might have told the truth with this one. Sammo's "pow powder" is all over Wall's hands and chest. You wouldn't use that for promo pics. Now our goal is to get a hold of the alternate fight scene.

I wouldnt be surprised if it has been lost in the Golden Harvest archives. My question is what deleted/archive footage would they have used for Lee's close up in this version of the scene? Nothing in ETD or the deleted ETD scenes matches what happens in this fight scene.

• Like 2

tomgray2404
4 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

I wouldnt be surprised if it has been lost in the Golden Harvest archives. My question is what deleted/archive footage would they have used for Lee's close up in this version of the scene? Nothing in ETD or the deleted ETD scenes matches what happens in this fight scene.

Maybe someone had the idea of adding Lee closeups in this fight and that forced the reshoot?

• Like 3

Cognoscente

Makes sense. In the interview that @mpm74 conducted, Wall said: "I left there in October of '77, and they called me back in December saying you have to reshoot the fight scenes."

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Thanks to @Alan C, for including a link to this thread/forum in his in depth CityonFire.Com interview. About the up-coming Game of Death Re-Dux 2.0.

Adapted by Alan Canvan: A Conversation with ‘Game of Death Redux’ Filmmaker

Link- https://cityonfire.com/adapted-by-alan-canvan-a-conversation-with-game-of-death-redux-filmmaker-bruce-lee-criterion-blu-ray-dvd/

JB: The Trailer for Game of Death Redux. Can you explain the voice over?

AC: Some assumed that it was a trailer narrator, but it’s really the American mercenary who befriends Bruce’s character prior to the mission. This role was going to be played by Bob Baker. The V.O. is Kincaid speaking to Hai Tien the night before they leave for the temple. You’re the first to ask me about this, Jeff, so kudos for giving me the opportunity to clarify.

GameofDeath158.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Jesse Smooth

This is ghetto AF, but I had to customize these. Some blotches were covered by black paint. The original color is in the background shoe. 
image.thumb.jpeg.9459c157875fa3030a69ef0f858161f5.jpeg

Yes, I had to get new shoelaces.

image.thumb.jpeg.c55eb5b8e502c231f35465bcc1418539.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2bd1d06a238398e8e0e5bc382e766e00.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I always wondered what Bruce was trying to do with the vase scene. It looks really awkward.

Kareem's character was trying to impale him on the vase and then Bruce flips over and kicks him in the head, he never actually filmed the flip for whatever reason.

It was just an extra bit of jeopardy in the middle of the fight I think.

• Like 4

On 4/6/2022 at 10:04 AM, Jesse Smooth said:

This is ghetto AF, but I had to customize these. Some blotches were covered by black paint. The original color is in the background shoe. 
image.thumb.jpeg.9459c157875fa3030a69ef0f858161f5.jpeg

Yes, I had to get new shoelaces.

image.thumb.jpeg.c55eb5b8e502c231f35465bcc1418539.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2bd1d06a238398e8e0e5bc382e766e00.jpeg

That's very cool! It's like an inverse version of the GoD suit. Which makes sense because it's for the feet and not for the body.

• Like 4

PandaPawPaw
4 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Kareem's character was trying to impale him on the vase and then Bruce flips over and kicks him in the head, he never actually filmed the flip for whatever reason.

It was just an extra bit of jeopardy in the middle of the fight I think.

Yeah but even then it still makes no sense. If he flips over he'd land on Kareem's back. Also raising himself onto his arms would of made it easier for Kareem to push his head down I think (Yeah I'm over thinking it but it makes no sense damn it! :tongueout)

17 minutes ago, Kevin Chan said:

That's very cool! It's like an inverse version of the GoD suit. Which makes sense because it's for the feet and not for the body.

It reminds me of Evil Ryu. It could be an alternative attire for Bruce if there was a GOD game. He ends up being one of the floor guardians or something. :o

• Like 4

DragonClaws

John Little will be presenitng a 20th anniversary screening of A Warriors Journey in the U.K later this year. For more details, see the below poster.

https://scontent.flba3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/280264365_304853845158993_4543364008316403438_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=rWORYB98-GQAX-gUMb7&_nc_ht=scontent.flba3-1.fna&oh=00_AT_PEJClb1GqpW5t7r6mGT5EOVsdqPD46Ac_Ccv9vwoHEw&oe=6294680B

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Bruce Lee vs Dan Innosanto Le Jeu de la Mort (1978) VF René Chateau (Scan 35mm Grindhouse Japonais)

• Like 3

Cognoscente

I remember when Channel 4 aired the Hong Kong version of Game of Death in 1999. It was weird to see the finale without the Hapkido and Escrima floors.

In 1970, Bruce purchased a panther skin as well as a tiger one. It would have been cool if the panther was displayed on Kareem's floor as if to symbolize that he is one of the Black Panthers.

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 4

Cognoscente

Sammo, Nora and Angela were interviewed in the June '78 issue of Roadhouse which advertises the Hell out of GOD.

Angela Mao and Sammo Hung were published in the June 1978 issue of the movie magazine Roadshow.jpg

77412708_2437186989869536_4892247764831830016_n.jpg

76759941_2436479049940330_3836825118810570752_n.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4

DragonClaws

With the exception of the log sequence, is there any more footage missing from Dan Inosanto's Pogoda Hall in Game of Death 72?.

• Like 2

Inosanto said in a interview that Tiens stick was longer and kept getting shorter.

I have watched the scene numerous times and I can’t see any bits of stick on the floor but that’s what Dan said.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
Just now, makone said:

Inosanto said in a interview that Tiens stick was longer and kept getting shorter.

I have watched the scene numerous times and I can’t see any bits of stick on the floor but that’s what Dan said.

Yeah 'veseen that video interview, I think he's confusing James Tien with Chieh Yuen?. James Weapon looks like a short club, and it doesnt appear to have been broken in any way. Unless  Tien's character arrived on the floor with two weapons from the level below?. Hai Tien comes up with the bamboo and nunchaku, everyo arrives this floor with at least one weapon.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
Just now, Cognoscente said:

Bruce Lee in overalls reminds me of there being a Bruce Lee historian named John Overall.

Choreographing the opening of the Dan Inosanto fight?.

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
2 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Bruce Lee in overalls reminds me of there being a Bruce Lee historian named John Overall.

197646772_1653416408179365_7852931801289390187_n.jpg

170515994_1601489096705430_6740800650988405451_n.jpg

You mean Dungarees...surely? :-)

• Like 2