Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

Killer Meteor
On 2/9/2022 at 9:41 AM, Cognoscente said:

Perhaps that's why Yuen Wah stopped working for Golden Harvest in 1977 until 1984.

I doubt it. He was on Shaws for a while.

• Like 2

Omni Dragon
3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Anyone getting Billy Lo vibes, from this 1978 picture of singers who had undergone plastic surgery. In order to look like the late Rock N Roll singer Elvis Presley.

source- https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/plastic-surgery-rock-tour-danny-o-day-1267743/

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/bandages-AP21315717521661.jpg?w=1024

Getting Billy Lo as well as The Invisible Man vibes.

vlcsnap-2022-03-03-23h04m40s998.png.58a282e2056142f8bebd55b396ce620d.png

1100923465_TheInvisibleMan.jpg.ba38b3a66445f230943c41e22c738d4a.jpg

• Like 3

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

Getting Billy Lo as well as The Invisible Man vibes.

LOL Billy Lo doesnt get plastic surgery, instead he turns into the invisible man in order to fight Dr Land's syndicate.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

I always thought this movie was released in the U.K under its Game of Death II title?.

GameofDeath99.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I always thought this movie was released in the U.K under its Game of Death II title?.

GameofDeath99.jpg

I can see if you were just a casual fan you would think that that was the actual Bruce Lee.

• Like 4

PandaPawPaw

Didn't the title get changed at the time of the HKL release from Tower of Death to GOD2 due to the 9/11 attacks?

• Like 3

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Didn't the title get changed at the time of the HKL release from Tower of Death to GOD2 due to the 9/11 attacks?

Thats right, if the release had come out earlier it would have had the Tower of Death title. The Arnold Schwarzenegger movie Collateral Dmage underwent changes for the same reason. Due to the sotry being about a firefighter, who loses his family in a terrorist attack. It was held back, and some changes where made to the final theatrical cut.

10 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

I can see if you were just a casual fan you would think that that was the actual Bruce Lee.

Especially in an era when the internet wasn't around and audiences didnt have access to as much information.

• Like 3

Omni Dragon
23 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

14 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

The BBFC website has it listed as 'Tower Of Death' for cinema ('Classification Date 17/03/1983'). There's also mentions of 2 trailers distributed by Medusa, who owned HKL at the time, one under the 'Tower Of Death' title coincidentally classified the day after 9/11, the BBFC uses the day/month/year date format, so it reads as '12/09/2001' and later another trailer classified on the '12/10/2001' under 'Game Of Death 2'.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/game-of-death-2-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc0zmdu1nzc:

1668403163_Screenshot2022-03-07at23-21-00GameOfDeath2.thumb.png.731e87931f91a6e37814d1c179512756.png

As far as I know all the official UK VHS tapes were under the title 'Game of Death II'.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/game-of-death-ii-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc0zmdu1odu:

1070476242_Screenshot2022-03-07at22-48-41GameOfDeathII.png.22720e9d571569a937d894f13c1c8228.png

887113127_GODII.jpg.850430366feb9647cc41c223c43b4b02.jpg  515492008_GameII.jpg.3ba027736d0a316a1cd43cec7c7903fd.jpg

• Like 3

Omni Dragon
3 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

£60 for a VHS!? Wowzer! :o 

Assuming it's from 1988, adjusting for inflation it works out at around £170 in today's money.

• Like 3

It's almost blasphemous how much the covers for GOD 2 used photos from Enter the Dragon, considering Bruce shot no original footage for the project 

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
7 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

Assuming it's from 1988, adjusting for inflation it works out at around £170 in today's money.

£60 would have been the price that Video Shops would have paid for it. That's the rental (not for resale tape) big box and one of the later sell thru issues.

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347
4 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

It's almost blasphemous how much the covers for GOD 2 used photos from Enter the Dragon, considering Bruce shot no original footage for the project 

Oh, get over yourself...

Killer Meteor
On 3/6/2022 at 10:58 PM, DragonClaws said:

GameofDeath99.jpg

I suspect this was the HK version.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 3/7/2022 at 3:51 PM, Omni Dragon said:

The BBFC website has it listed as 'Tower Of Death' for cinema ('Classification Date 17/03/1983'). There's also mentions of 2 trailers distributed by Medusa, who owned HKL at the time, one under the 'Tower Of Death' title coincidentally classified the day after 9/11, the BBFC uses the day/month/year date format, so it reads as '12/09/2001' and later another trailer classified on the '12/10/2001' under 'Game Of Death 2'.

On 3/7/2022 at 3:51 PM, Omni Dragon said:

As far as I know all the official UK VHS tapes were under the title 'Game of Death II'.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/game-of-death-ii-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc0zmdu1odu:

Ironically this Tribute movie was never censored by the BBFC, despite hacking his movies apart. It was always known as Game of Death 2 on Video in the U.K. It was really easy to find on VHS when I just start collecting videos. There were so many different versions knocking around in rental stores, video markets and shops. It was also sold with all the Bruce Lee VHS box-sets that always seemed to be coming out. I picked it up on a budget label for less than five pounds.

I found the following Game of Death 2 related promotional material online, its not taken from anything I own.

GameofDeath100.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

tomgray2404
18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Truth Revealed lol. There's barely an ounce of truth in this crap. It's got to be the most repugnant interview ever given by a friend/ associate of Bruce Lee EVER:

• Bob Wall was never in the original GOD
  • Bob Wall did not knock out Sammo Hung multiple times
  • Kim Tae-Chung had better technique on his worse day than Wall ever had
  • Language instructor? For what? To speak English?
  • No evidence that locker room sequence was reshot
  • No evidence of Warner Bros. EVER giving Wall a deal. Sounds like jealousy because Jim Kelly got one
  • Wall was world champion during the embryonic stages of POINT SCORING karate AKA Who cares?

Apart from all that, probably pretty accurate. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tomgray2404 said:

Truth Revealed lol. There's barely an ounce of truth in this crap. It's got to be the most repugnant interview ever given by a friend/ associate of Bruce Lee EVER:

• Bob Wall was never in the original GOD
  • Bob Wall did not knock out Sammo Hung multiple times
  • Kim Tae-Chung had better technique on his worse day than Wall ever had
  • Language instructor? For what? To speak English?
  • No evidence that locker room sequence was reshot
  • No evidence of Warner Bros. EVER giving Wall a deal. Sounds like jealousy because Jim Kelly got one
  • Wall was world champion during the embryonic stages of POINT SCORING karate AKA Who cares?

Apart from all that, probably pretty accurate. 

I remember seeing a set photo of the locker room fight where Kim Tai Chung is kicking Bob Wall into a door, Kim's outfit is brown instead of blue, his hair is longer, and he's doing a different kick to the one we see in the finished film- so it is concievable that that fight was re-shot- we do know Sammo added the Greenhouse Fight as he thought the film didnt rise up to HK fight standards, so he might've reshot the locker room fight as well.

With respect to the fact the man has recently passed, the rest of the statements by Wall you pointed out seem to be lies.

• Like 3

Omni Dragon
On 3/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

£60 would have been the price that Video Shops would have paid for it. That's the rental (not for resale tape) big box and one of the later sell thru issues.

£60, still seems a lot. Where video shop versions more expensive than consumer versions?

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
7 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

£60, still seems a lot. Where video shop versions more expensive than consumer versions?

Yes. When video shops first opened in the UK (1981?) there were some video tapes you could buy , mainly from the distributors. A friend of mine bought Enter the Dragon (uncut), The Exorcist (then- Not withdrawn) and Freebie and the Bean. All cost £39.95 each from Warners. They were Rental or Retail. The more popular the film the higher price it cost. Video shops knew they would make their money back in the amount of rentals they would have for a title (usually £1-2 a night per film).

• Like 4

tomgray2404
19 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

I remember seeing a set photo of the locker room fight where Kim Tai Chung is kicking Bob Wall into a door, Kim's outfit is brown instead of blue, his hair is longer, and he's doing a different kick to the one we see in the finished film- so it is concievable that that fight was re-shot- we do know Sammo added the Greenhouse Fight as he thought the film didnt rise up to HK fight standards, so he might've reshot the locker room fight as well.

With respect to the fact the man has recently passed, the rest of the statements by Wall you pointed out seem to be lies.

I've never seen the alternate Wall-Kim shot you speak of, but please post it if you come across it again.

I try to be a straight shooter when it comes to people. I was never a fan of Bob Wall for a multitude of reasons. With that said, I wasn't happy to see him go.

You should never speak ill of the dead, but it's worth remembering that Bob Wall talked a barrage of shit about Bruce Lee just two years after he'd passed. That interview - maybe Black Belt? - was sickening. So much for Lee being his best friend in the world?

Once Wall realized that there was financial compensation for bigging Lee up, he changed his tune entirely.

Garbage!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tomgray2404 said:

I've never seen the alternate Wall-Kim shot you speak of, but please post it if you come across it again.

I try to be a straight shooter when it comes to people. I was never a fan of Bob Wall for a multitude of reasons. With that said, I wasn't happy to see him go.

You should never speak ill of the dead, but it's worth remembering that Bob Wall talked a barrage of shit about Bruce Lee just two years after he'd passed. That interview - maybe Black Belt? - was sickening. So much for Lee being his best friend in the world?

Once Wall realized that there was financial compensation for bigging Lee up, he changed his tune entirely.

Garbage!

This is the photo I was referring to- notice how he is wearing Bruce's Brown ETD outfit instead of the blue one, and the lockers are positioned differently than in the final film- could be a promo pic, but it doesnt make sense to me they'd go out of their way to change so much of the set and change Kim's costume just for a promo pic. I think this is from an earlier version of the fight.

Screenshot 2022-03-11 175415.png

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1