Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

The following images are well known among fans, were they taken by the Golden Harvest photographer's?. Who were responsible for the few behind the scene stills, that are available to the public now. Or were they taken by the Japanese visitor's, who came to meet the cast and crew at Golden Harvest studios?.

I also wonder if any of the other photographs the Japanese visitors took, still exist today?.

GameofDeath192.jpg

GameofDeath193.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Is it a new movie or a game  ?

It a video game, they used some Game of Death imagery having Bruce Lee in the jumpsuit fighting a much larger opponent.

• Like 3

Kareem Abdul Jabbar in a still from the 1972 Game of Death promotional film.

https://cache.moviestillsdb.com/i/500x/oup30aj2/game-of-death-lg.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

Bruce Lee Historian Steve Kerridge claims the following image is a fake? and that Chieh Yuen wasn't doubled by Whang In-Sik?. Even if its a fake, I still think he may have doubled Chieh Yeun during the Ji Han-Jae fight. Theres a number of times, they conceal his chracters face from the camera, for a few throws and dives. Which they rarely did when an actors actually doing the stunt themsevles.

GameofDeath195.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 9

On 6/15/2018 at 8:45 PM, Phantom Dreamer said:

Game of Death uncut

I watched this in full back in November. Due to the lack of editing and seeing the same moves again and again in alternating takes it's one of the most unusual things I've ever watched but still it was amazing to see. (It might sound a bit crazy but still, I wouldn't mind seeing some of my other favourite movies like it.)

I think I'd rather see a higher resolution version of this rather than another edit of The Game of Death.

Despite what people say about Bruce Lee, I noticed it looks undercranked at times.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

One Armed Boxer
On 1/22/2022 at 12:07 AM, DragonClaws said:

Bruce Lee Historian Steve Kerridge claims the following image is a fake? and that Chieh Yuen wasn't doubled by Whang In-Sik?. Even if its a fake, I still think he may have doubled Chieh Yeun during the Ji Han-Jae fight. Theres a number of times, they conceal his chracters face from the camera, for a few throws and dives. Which they rarely did when an actors actually doing the stunt themsevles.

He's since admitted that he was wrong. While the knowledge of these 'experts' is to be respected, that's the fundamental problem when they state their opinions as fact, as Kerridge did here regarding the photo being a fake, then needing to backtrack on himself when his claim was challenged and it turned out to be real.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

Despite what people say about Bruce Lee, I noticed it looks undercranked at times.

Roy Horan revealed Bruce's trickery in the September 1983 issue of Inside Kung Fu: "Most directors and fight choreographers in the Far East shoot their Kung Fu sequences at 21 to 22 f.p.s. It shouldn’t surprise you to know that most of Bruce Lee’s action sequences were shot between 20 and 22 f.p.s. to speed up the action, but then again that’s show business!"

• Like 5

On 1/28/2022 at 4:55 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

He's since admitted that he was wrong. While the knowledge of these 'experts' is to be respected, that's the fundamental problem when they state their opinions as fact, as Kerridge did here regarding the photo being a fake, then needing to backtrack on himself when his claim was challenged and it turned out to be real.

I wasn't aware of this @One Armed Boxer, must be further images from that day.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:38 PM, Cognoscente said:

Roy Horan revealed Bruce's trickery in the September 1983 issue of Inside Kung Fu: "Most directors and fight choreographers in the Far East shoot their Kung Fu sequences at 21 to 22 f.p.s. It shouldn’t surprise you to know that most of Bruce Lee’s action sequences were shot between 20 and 22 f.p.s. to speed up the action, but then again that’s show business!"

Fight scenes have been speeded up since the time of silent movies. The first time I became aware of fight scenes getting speeded up, was from watching bar room brawls in old Westerns. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Check out the comments in the link, and credit to our own @mpm74 for challenging the claim that it was a fake!

Ive seen a picture online, where someone pointed out it was Whang In-Sik being flipped, in another more common Game of Death still. They had an arrow pointing to him, on a photo. It's not a rare shot, and its been shared online before. I just can't recall who posted this?. This was a few years ago, it may have been on the Bruce Lee Lives forum?. Thats how I first became aware of this information.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thehangman said:

I never liked the scene with the broken vase and kareem looks poorly edited or unfinished

I don't think Bruce Lee filmed the insert shot, where he was going to use Yuen Wah to help complete that sequence?.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I don't think Bruce Lee filmed the insert shot, where he was going to use Yuen Wah to help complete that sequence?.

Yeah Robert Clouse never filmed the insert for some reason

• Like 2