Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

I didn't realize there was so many "Game of Death" movies floating around. Got me to thinking that it would be cool if they remade "Game of Death" using Bruce Lee's original ideas and plot(With a different star and not go the Bruceplotation root). Does a script of his original intent exist, or did he die before one could be written? 

@DarthKato, he wrote lot of notes, and made many sketches regarding this project. A small amount of this has been released to the public. The Estate might have more material in their archives?. Duel with The Devils directed by Lin Pai, starring Angela Mao & Tan Tao Liang. Is yet another 1970's Hong Kong Game of Death inspired movie. The hero of the movie, has to fight his way up a pogoda in the finale.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

@DarthKato, he wrote lot of notes, and made many sketches regarding this project. A small amount of this has been released to the public. The Estate might have more material in their archives?. Duel with The Devils directed by Lin Pai, starring Angela Mao & Tan Tao Liang. Is yet another 1970's Hong Kong Game of Death inspired movie. The hero of the movie, has to fight his way up a pogoda in the finale.

I would love for more information to be released. If a full script ever appeared, I think that might motivate someone to do a remake. I just really think its a story that needs to be told, even if the likelihood is fairly low. 

• Like 2

eledoremassis02

I was just thinking how I'm surprised there is no real documentary just about making Game of Death. Closest I can think of is Bruce Lee in G.O.D.

We have Warriors Journey but it's basically a standard BL documentary leading up to new footage. A full on Documentary with crew, cast, notes and footage would of truly been something.

• Like 3

On 7/17/2021 at 4:21 PM, eledoremassis02 said:

I was just thinking how I'm surprised there is no real documentary just about making Game of Death. Closest I can think of is Bruce Lee in G.O.D.

We have Warriors Journey but it's basically a standard BL documentary leading up to new footage. A full on Documentary with crew, cast, notes and footage would of truly been something.

I’d have loved to have seen a full on 78 GOD documentary,I know there are a few BTS snippets but a full on doc would have been great.I bet there are some stories to tell.

Edited by sym8
  • Like 3

shukocarl1441996347

I think...and let me say this only MY opinion, that Game of Death has been done to death (no pun!). We've had fake Game of Death films, Real Game of Death films (78, WJ,BL in GOD), fan edits (I did one with Makone's help) and now we have the Redux edit (which I haven't seen) but people still want more!

It's been over 20yrs since the footage was presented - what more can be possibly done with it? All this talk of a remake or re-assembly with cgi won't make what we have seen any better. It is what it is. The participants have spoken (except the late Chieh Yuen and the reclusive James Tien) about the film and as we approach the 50th anniversary of it's filming(next year) it seems to me that there isn't anything we don't know (and the 'log sequence' probably lasted less than 30 seconds)....

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 7/20/2021 at 2:36 PM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

The participants have spoken (except the late Chieh Yuen and the reclusive James Tien) about the film and as we approach the 50th anniversary of it's filming(next year) it seems to me that there isn't anything we don't know (and the 'log sequence' probably lasted less than 30 seconds)....

Whats interesting is, Whang In Sik says he filmed scenes in some interviews. Which we know about with the footage thats out there. Yet in anohter other interview from BL:Conversation's he said he wasnt present when they were filming?. If the Bob Baker letters were held back for so long, what other content has been held back?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Whats interesting is, Whang In Sik says he filmed scenes in some interviews. Which we know about with the footage thats out there. Yet in other interview he said he wasnt present when they were filming. If the Bob Baker letters were held back for so long, what other content has been held back?.

I think Whang in Sik is referring to doubling for Chieh Yuan and the outdoor footage when he says he filmed scenes, so I'm not sure theres really a great mystery there. 

Wed worked out already that his fight with Bruce was probably going to be shot on location in Korea which obviously never happened. 

Its plausible theres more footage but I doubt anymore with Whang In Sik.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
1 hour ago, Josh Baker said:

I think Whang in Sik is referring to doubling for Chieh Yuan and the outdoor footage when he says he filmed scenes, so I'm not sure there's really a great mystery there. 

Wed worked out already that his fight with Bruce was probably going to be shot on location in Korea which obviously never happened. 

Its plausible there's more footage but I doubt anymore with Whang In Sik.

I agree Josh. A lot of people involved with Bruce Lee remember things differently. It's 50 years ago! I'm of the age that I can remember things from 50 years ago but day to day events? Forget it. Sometimes I'm wrong (not often, mind!) about things that I was absolutely sure I did/saw. People recollect differently...ask Bob Wall for instance or just it's plain bullshit to sell something. If there is footage out there I think it's going to be mere seconds and it's dissolving away in a rusty film can somewhere. Nobody's in a rush to find it - look at the infamous lost Big Boss scenes. They were in some prints back in 1971 but who can say if they've not decayed to nothing? A lot written about Game of Death has been rumour, misinformation and crap. Everyone should be grateful we have what we have  and move on.

• Like 4

DragonClaws

Author John Little disccusses Game of Death(1972), & A Warrior's Journey, among other topics. The G.O.D section is around 50-Minute into the pod-cast.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

From issue #94 of New Martial Hero.

I think the bottom pictures are from the Game of Death(1978) Premire in America?. When Brandon Lee put together the Bruce Lee display, showcasing  films props and items from Bruce Lees life. The local mayor declared it Bruce Lee day.

• Like 3

Cognoscente

In a 1983 issue of Kung Fu Monthly which can be seen on eBay, Bob Wall said: "Raymond Chow told me that he had to use the material somehow, both because of public demand and to prevent the G.O.D. idea being exploited. We went through at least a dozen different storylines which is why it took us so long to get the film made. One had Bruce fighting his way to the fourth or fifth floor and being killed and then had me, as his teacher, fighting my way to the top. I refused this as did Chuck Norris, because we felt that it was a negative way of using the material."

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
On 8/8/2021 at 8:43 PM, Cognoscente said:

In a 1983 issue of Kung Fu Monthly which can be seen on eBay, Bob Wall said: "Raymond Chow told me that he had to use the material somehow, both because of public demand and to prevent the G.O.D. idea being exploited. We went through at least a dozen different storylines which is why it took us so long to get the film made. One had Bruce fighting his way to the fourth or fifth floor and being killed and then had me, as his teacher, fighting my way to the top. I refused this as did Chuck Norris, because we felt that it was a negative way of using the material."

LMAO!! Wall loves to tell fairy tales.

• Like 5

I wanted to convey the movement of Bruce Lee as he fights with a villain and ascends each floor to finally fights with the boss of the all villains.

Each villain is portrayed as a scorpion, panther, and hornet–the head of the villains is a cobra as its
body curling around the pagoda.

Certainly the game aspect is also important. I added Chinese mahjong tiles, cards, chess pieces, coins
and a dice.

- Yohey Horishita

GODposter2.gif

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

I like the Teaser trailer, for Alan Canvan's Redux 2.0. Looking forward to viewing the version with Chris Kent's voice work. Viewing the extended pogoda fight scenes. With John Barry's score, makes me wish that director Robert Clouse, had presented the footage like this back in 1978.

• Like 2