Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

9 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

It would have been difficult to resume filming with James Tien in 1976. Here he is in the September '76 issue of Golden Movie News (#54).

1976 54 GMN.jpg

Why was that? All he need was a bit of a haircut haha

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

He was getting a little bit fat - something that was mentioned in Michael Kaye's '70s magazine (Clash).

Haha I doubt having to finish Bruce Lee's last film would motivate him to go down to the gym- to be honest I didnt notice anything until you mentioned it I think he looks fine

• Like 2

Cognoscente

Maybe it really is just the hair. If you compare the way that Wu Ngan looks in the GOD screen tests versus the HK funeral footage, he looks like he de-aged. Longer hair made him look older and out-of-shape whereas he had a youthful vitality about him when he had shorter hair.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

Maybe it really is just the hair. If you compare the way that Wu Ngan looks in the GOD screen tests versus the HK funeral footage, he looks like he de-aged. Longer hair made him look older and out-of-shape whereas he had a youthful vitality about him when he had shorter hair.

I think if the production had gone another way and decided to use Bruce's original storyline I think James wouldve come back. 

It's just too high profile of a gig to turn down and wouldve given him the opportunity to have a large role in an English language film that would be seen by a worldwide audience, not just a HK one.

There wouldve been certain conditions, such as a hefty payday and second billing behind Bruce in the Asian markets, but I think he wouldve come back to finish his scenes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

Then there's the issue of Chieh Yuen...

Well Chieh Yuan was alive for most of 1977 so I assume he wouldve come back as well if hed shot it in the summer 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

Someone needs to ask Andre Morgan why Chieh didn't come back.

I wish I could but Andre wouldnt respond to me on LinkedIn haha

• Like 1

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

The problem is that GH backed themselves into a corner where they had to find Hollywood stars to flesh out the running time instead of making the most of the Bruce Lee footage that they had.

Having three brand new Bruce Lee fight scenes, was enough to sell a whole new movie back in the late 70's. Even now if someone found three brand new Bruce Lee fights in the vaults now, they could sell it however they wanted to. They didnt need to use anymore footage. Audiences wanted more new Bruce Lee movies becuase he made so few while he was alive. Had Bruce Lee left behind more films, would they have bothered to try release a movie he never completed?.

Jackie Chan never completed Fearless Hyena 2, but fans dont seem all that bothered about how it would have turned out?. Is that becuase he made so many movies, that it became less of a big deal to audiences?.

• Like 3

Cognoscente
2 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Had Bruce Lee left behind more films, would they have bothered to try release a movie he never completed?.

Jackie Chan never completed Fearless Hyena 2, but fans don't seem all that bothered about how it would have turned out. Is that because he made so many movies, that it became less of a big deal to audiences?

Seeing as how Raymond Chow was so greedy, I would say the sky would have been the limit for him.

If Jackie got killed by Triads during the making of Fearless Hyena 2, we would have got a completed movie.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I found the original...

10974354_364601777060811_8019103182039873769_o.jpg

Good work, I tried a few times over the years but never found it.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 6/16/2021 at 3:15 PM, Cognoscente said:

It would have been difficult to resume filming with James Tien in 1976. Here he is in the September '76 issue of Golden Movie News (#54).

1976 54 GMN.jpg

Wonder what he's looking at?

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 6/16/2021 at 3:28 PM, Cognoscente said:

He was getting a little bit fat - something that was mentioned in Michael Kaye's '70s magazine (Clash).

Is that Michael Kaye the English dubber?

• Like 1

Could someone tell me what the missing line from the GoD footage was? It was included in Game of Death Redux but I cant remember what it was. Cheers!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Could someone tell me what the missing line from the GoD footage was? It was included in Game of Death Redux but I cant remember what it was. Cheers!

its a challenge 

• Like 2