Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

A few posts back I asked about a G.O.D related comic book image. I think it may come from the following source?, thanks to Shang Chi who posted this content over the the Bruce Lee Lives Forum.

Link- https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/very-rare-1980-game-of-death-manga-adaptation-2008-t4678.html

More Game of Death related theories, content, and news to come in this thread in 2021.

Bruce_Gameofdeadh_ps.jpg

Image source- https://posterspy.com/posters/game-of-death-bruce-lee-tribute/

• Like 4

There's some footage in the below video, that starts around 5-minutes 23-sec mark. That shows some Martial Artists kicking a shield, among other things. Was this filmed at Bruce Lee's cumberland road house?, during one of the many visits from the Golden Harvest stunt guys?.

• Like 3

Tightened up, re-color timed and re-scored version (using John Barry's score) of the Ji Han Jae fight from Game of Death.

This is still a work in progress for the full edit but is approximately what I am going for.

-Apologies in advance for my probably WOEFUL Cantonese pronounciation when it comes to dubbing Chieh Yuan's voice: for audio editing reasons I re-dubbed James Tien's and Chieh Yuan's characters: Tien in English and Yuan in Cantonese.

-Fight sound effects from the original 1978 Cantonese Sound Mix- embellished with some sound effects from elsewhere in that version (greenhouse fight)

-Re-colour timed to match the colour timing of Game of Death (1978)

• Like 5

shukocarl1441996347
On 1/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, DragonClaws said:

The Curses, the Fates, the Races, the Fakes, the Faces, the Names of "The Game of Death"; or, The Game of Death

By Tony Tulathimutte

Link- https://theamericanreader.com/the-curses-the-fates-the-races-the-fakes-the-faces-the-names-of-the-game-of-death-or-the-game-of-death/

c130fe2a95e0ee15c9655f5df60fc11d.jpg

Good article but at times even he can't  distinguish the "acting " double -Chen Yao Po with the "fighting" double Kim Tae Jong -sort of falling for the ruses he points out?

• Like 4

On 1/17/2021 at 2:16 PM, Josh Baker said:

-Re-colour timed to match the colour timing of Game of Death (1978)

I wonder how the footage looked originally?, before they darkened it slightly for the 1978 version.

On 1/17/2021 at 3:50 PM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Good article but at times even he can't  distinguish the "acting " double -Chen Yao Po with the "fighting" double Kim Tae Jong -sort of falling for the ruses he points out?

Good points, it must get confusing for some people with the fact they used three different doubles. For those who are not as familiar with the movie as we are.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Mike Leeder

End of an era....

Damn you Billy Lo , all that martial mischief that you caused has led to the closing of Dr Land's lair, the Red Pepper  Restaurant for at least 6 months or so..... hopefully once Covid calms down and the restrictions are eased we may once more get to enjoy its trademark Szechuan dishes

EvtypX7VgAYBvmj.jpg

• Like 2

Mike Leeder

strangely it wasn't actually a many storied pagoda shaped building inside that's rooftop resembled Golden Harvest's!   and never got to see a Hapkido, Arnis or Master of the Unknown fighter lurking in the upper levels

Hopefully once covid calms down it might re-open, long shot but its good food and a good little haunt

• Like 3

DragonClaws

IMG_20190708_0002.jpg

According to the above notes originally posted on the forum by @leon00. There would have been six character's heading to the Korean island?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 2:30 AM, Mike Leeder said:

strangely it wasn't actually a many storied pagoda shaped building inside that's rooftop resembled Golden Harvest's!   and never got to see a Hapkido, Arnis or Master of the Unknown fighter lurking in the upper levels

Hopefully once covid calms down it might re-open, long shot but its good food and a good little haunt

Mike, is there any reference within the restaurant to GOD? A life size cardboard Billy Lo cut out at the entrance, A Dr Land hot sauce or Steiner special fried rice for example :evilgrin

On 3/12/2021 at 2:30 AM, Mike Leeder said:

• Like 2

Mike Leeder

they used to have a few pics and a letter from Golden harvest ref the location being used

No Bruce inspired menu items.... although funnily enough i just visited a Young & Dangerous themed cafe that just opened in HK that was really running with the references

Edited by Mike Leeder
  • Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Coliseum1972

They dont always make tributes , for example no such thing in austrian castle were ww2 movie Where Eagles Dare was filmed 

• Like 3

Cognoscente
On 5/26/2018 at 1:56 PM, DragonClaws said:

Ok, so according to Andre Morgan Lee was filming GOD without a complete set script. Which was not unusual for early 1970's Hong Kong cinema. I just find it odd that he approached WOTD very differently, having twenty pages of notes and drawings just for the final fight. I'm sure the idea for GOD was not as vague as its now played out to be. Sure Lee must have had some sort of plan written down, even if it was a flexible one, not set in stone.

Raymond Chow claimed he didn't want to complete the film, and only did it, to appease legal deals he'd made with distributors, before Lee's death. Let's face it, even if they set out with an un-limited budget, with the intention of re-creating Lee's idea to the best of their abilities. It was still going to be a huge up-hill struggle, and they never mention the fact Chieh Yuen. Who features heavily in the original footage, had since tragically passed away in 1976. A patch up job covering the absence of the star, was tough enough. Add to this a missing supporting cast member, and there was no way they could completed the film back then. I think Lee possibly filmed more footage, it just might be a case of they simply couldn't insert it into another flick, with the exception of the three shortened down fight scenes?. They could have put those three fights, into many other stories, and filmed most of the film with three doubles, like they did in 77.

What are other peoples thoughts? do you think they downplay how much Lee filmed?. I'm not saying there's a whole almost complete movie out there, that's certainly not the case. Just feel that he may have shot more scenes, maybe stuff that didn't feature the Hai Tien character?

I think that there's definitely more footage than what they have led us to believe. Bruce, himself, said he shot half the film (in an essay that he wrote before he was about to film Enter the Dragon). He may not have shot other floors or scenes that would need to be filmed in Korea, but he probably filmed the interior scenes that took place before the pagoda raid (with the exception of the tournament fight and the airplane trip).

Raymond Chow lied about the project's status because he wanted to hide the affair with Betty Ting Pei in case it hurt the box office of both ETD and GOD. It wouldn't make sense for Bruce to have a complete script for WOTD, and not even bother with having one for GOD. I can't imagine George Lazenby agreeing to be in GOD if Bruce was just winging it. I also can't imagine Warner Brothers agreeing to be the distributor without a plot line that goes beyond a page-length synopsis.

The script may not have been set in stone, and he may not have known what the treasure was going to be (we were never going to see it anyway), but he certainly had a firm grasp as to what the characters were going to be i.e. Chieh Yuan's respect for Bruce, James Tien's crafty nature, Chieh's devout loyalty to James, how their clothes reflect their personality, Bruce's indoor dialogue with the person outside the pagoda, and the fact that Bruce filmed the three floors out of order yet still knew that the two allies wouldn't always be on the same floor as Bruce.

• Like 4

Josh Baker
20 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I think that there's definitely more footage than what they have led us to believe. Bruce, himself, said he shot half the film (in an essay that he wrote before he was about to film Enter the Dragon). He may not have shot other floors or scenes that would need to be filmed in Korea, but he probably filmed the interior scenes that took place before the pagoda raid (with the exception of the tournament fight and the airplane trip).

Raymond Chow lied about the project's status because he wanted to hide the affair with Betty Ting Pei in case it hurt the box office of both ETD and GOD. It wouldn't make sense for Bruce to have a complete script for WOTD, and not even bother with having one for GOD. I can't imagine George Lazenby agreeing to be in GOD if Bruce was just winging it. I also can't imagine Warner Brothers agreeing to be the distributor without a plot line that goes beyond a page-length synopsis.

The script may not have been set in stone, and he may not have known what the treasure was going to be (we were never going to see it anyway), but he certainly had a firm grasp as to what the characters were going to be i.e. Chieh Yuan's respect for Bruce, James Tien's crafty nature, Chieh's devout loyalty to James, how their clothes reflect their personality, Bruce's indoor dialogue with the person outside the pagoda, and the fact that Bruce filmed the three floors out of order yet still knew that the two allies wouldn't always be on the same floor as Bruce.

Wasnt Chieh Yuan still alive when they were filming the Clouse Game of Death in 1977?

Wikipedia says he died on the 16th November 1977 which means he wouldve been alive for most of the shooting period of the Clouse Game of Death.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

Correct. His death has often been used as an excuse to explain why they couldn't properly complete GOD, but there is an exterior shot of a cinema showing The Iron-Fisted Monk...which was shown from August to September of that year.

I mentioned this on Nick Clarke's forum (Bruce Lee Lives).

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 5/10/2021 at 8:12 AM, Cognoscente said:

Chieh Yuan's respect for Bruce, James Tien's crafty nature, Chieh's devout loyalty to James, how their clothes reflect their personality, Bruce's indoor dialogue with the person outside the pagoda, and the fact that Bruce filmed the three floors out of order yet still knew that the two allies wouldn't always be on the same floor as Bruce.

If Bruce Lee didnt know what he was doing while filming the pogoda footage. He wouldnt have been able to edit the material together at a later point. He must have had a basic idea, of where these three fights fit into the finished film.

Raymond Chow lied about the project's status because he wanted to hide the affair with Betty Ting Pei in case it hurt the box office of both ETD and GOD.

I thought the Hong Kong public would have known about this, long before ETD or GOD started filming?. Considering all the heavy negative and postive media coverage he got about his off screen life.

We dont know exactly how long it took him to film the exterior footage?. Some cast and crew memebrs have given out dates and times, but how accurate is this information?. We still don't know just how much of this he filmed?. We know he wanted to spend more time making his films, to improve the overall quality of them. It's just strange how quickly his other movies were put together, in comparison.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

Bruce wasn't one of those celebs who would tell the press about his sex life. At best, his affair with Betty was probably something that only people in his inner circle knew about. It was only after he died that the affair came to light.

Like with ETD, the best way to work out when something was filmed is to check the clapperboard dates. For example, Fred Weintraub claimed that Bruce failed to show up for filming in late January '73 but the clapperboard footage says otherwise. In the case of GOD, someone should put together a collage of screenshots showing the many clapperboard dates.

Filming dates...

WOTD: 4 May 1972 - 29 June 1972.
ETD: 25 January 1973 - middle of April 1973 (i.e. not just the Sammo fight but the pick-up shots for the mirror climax).

Although Kareem, Ji and Dan were not experienced on-screen fighters, Bruce knocked out those fight scenes relatively quickly. I understand that Bruce was figuratively handicapped in '72 with Taky Kimura turning him down, but he still could have filmed around his absence. If filming in September, October and November can result in a half-completed GOD then Bruce would have been able to complete the movie in '73 had it not been for his collapse (because then it would be a case of dusting it off in May, June and July).

• Like 1

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Bruce wasn't one of those celebs who would tell the press about his sex life. At best, his affair with Betty was probably something that only people in his inner circle knew about. It was only after he died that the affair came to light.

The Hong Kong press were already publishing stories about his private life, even if he wasn't going around talking to them about it.

Like with ETD, the best way to work out when something was filmed is to check the clapperboard dates. For example, Fred Weintraub claimed that Bruce failed to show up for filming in late January '73 but the clapperboard footage says otherwise. In the case of GOD, someone should put together a collage of screenshots showing the many clapperboard dates.

Agreed, it's a shame so little of the clapper board outtake footage has not been cleaned up/restored.

I understand that Bruce was figuratively handicapped in '72 with Taky Kimura turning him down, but he still could have filmed around his absence.

Who among the Golden Harvest performers, would have been hired to replace him?. There's a number of possible candidtates.

• Like 1