Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

4 hours ago, Alan C said:

Buckethead-- one of the most incredible Rock guitarists out there. And a huge BL fan. :)

Here's Fan made cover, in the vien of Buckethead's interpretation of the main theme from John Barry's score.

Another different take on the same track.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Here's Fan made cover, in the vien of Buckethead's interpretation of the main theme from John Barry's score.

Another different take on the same track.

Good Stuff DragonClaws!

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 2:30 AM, Alan C said:

Good Stuff DragonClaws!

Another creative take on the popular main theme, complete with fight sound FX.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

"For The Game of Death, he had plans to re-shoot and re-structure some of the ideas to make that film the best ever! I truly believe, had that film been completed, it would have been a masterpiece.” - Sifu Taky Kimura

Source- https://kudosmemorabilia.com/shop/taky-kimura-95th-birthday-commemorative-poster-magazine

gameofdeath67.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

This Hong Kong magazine special, shamelessy tries to sell the ETD outtakes featured in Game of Death 2, as un-seen footage from the Silent Flute project. Along with images from the 1972 G.O.D exterior shoot.

BL2947.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

I'm going to do a custom of the Cantonese print of Game of Death, which I promised to do years ago now. Basing it on the UHD French blu ray, so it will be in 4K this time. Expect to see the film in a way you've never seen it before, unless you were lucky enough to have seen the Cantonese print in theatres. I'm only 21 so, not me unfortunately. I've got some really good materials to work with. Movie will be posted on Internet Archive as I did with Hitman in the Hand of Buddha. - @TheKungFuRobber

• Like 1

Great project. I really look forward to see that and Alan Canvan's version. In the Cantonese version the Ji Han Jae Fight is in the middle of the film. But the hole thing that Billy got his yellow jumpsuit from the motorcycle driver makes no sense on that way, because he has it already in that fight. 

Edited by DT-Nice1988
  • Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 8:42 PM, DragonClaws said:

@TheKungFuRobber, is this the slightly longer Chi Hon-Choi fight, from the 1978 Japanese theatrical print?.

Thanks to @DT-Nice1988 for sharing this on YouTube.

Yes it is. But the closeup to Ji Han Jae's claw hand is missing in that version. 

Edited by DT-Nice1988
  • Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 8:00 AM, DT-Nice1988 said:

Great project. I really look forward to see that and Alan Canvan's version.

Ditto.

On 9/16/2019 at 8:00 AM, DT-Nice1988 said:

In the Cantonese version the Ji Han Jae Fight is in the middle of the film. But the hole thing that Billy got his yellow jumpsuit from the motorcycle driver makes no sense on that way, because he has it already in that fight. 

For me they should have left it at the end, maybe they thought Hong Kong audiences would walk before then?. If there wasnt any genuine Bruce Lee footage to keep them interested. It does make the whole getting the jumpsuit during the warehouse scuffle pointless.

On 9/16/2019 at 8:23 AM, DT-Nice1988 said:

Yes it is. But the closeup to Ji Han Jae's claw hand is missing in that version. 

Odd, its a longer cut yet they cut one minor clip out. Chi Hon Choi's character's fighting style and identty, are pretty much lost in the 1978 film.

• Like 1

Angela Mao Ying, Unicorn Chan and Bruce Lee on the Game of Death set in 1972.

gameofdeath75.jpg

Behind the scenes of the Winston's cigarette commercial, which made use of the G.O.D set.

bl3008.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2018 at 10:00 PM, DragonClaws said:

Re-creation of The Temple Of The Tiger pogoda level, from the 2002 movie Bruce Lee in G.O.D, from Japan.

001143088d810a78af6505.jpg

This I believe is from the tv series legend of Bruce Lee. Not the Japanese release G.O.D.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

This I believe is from the tv series legend of Bruce Lee. Not the Japanese release G.O.D.

Hi @Drunksnake, hope you enjoyd reading through this thread and thank you for the correction.

• Like 1

I have a bit of a soft spot do Game of death. First saw the Cantonese version on channel 4’s Bruce lee weekend (anyone remember that?) and it only had the Kareem fight. I didn’t know any better as this was my first introduction to Lee on this particular weekend. After getting used to the international version I then saw a late night showing of the Cantonese version again on channel 4 some years later when I was thirteen. I was amazed they used Bruce’s real war cries and that it had alternative scenes like the greenhouse fight. For what it’s worth I think even though it’s in poor taste it’s an awesome fight scene! Sammo did a great job of the choreography on all fights particularly this, the locker room fight and the fight against the guards in Macau. The Cantonese version made me realise what this (1978 version) was all about, giving the audience a Bruce lee tribute ( could have been done better) with a feeding of real Bruce footage for dessert. This is all we had until the rest of the footage was available on Warriors Journey and Artport’s G.O.D. On the rare occasion I do watch the 1978 version I prefer the international print with the real Bruce war cries which is an audio option on the SHOUT! 4K blu ray. I liked the music on warriors journey a lot and preferred Bruce’s voice (John Little dubbing I think?) to that of Artports dub (Bey Logan?) and music. The Artport version looks far superior though in terms of PQ but is not as tightly edited as WJ. You can’t have it all it seems. Would like to know of some good custom version though if anybody can help? Also will we be able to see the newly edited version that Ricky Baker screened?

Edited by Drunksnake
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

I have a bit of a soft spot do Game of death. First saw the Cantonese version on channel 4’s Bruce lee weekend (anyone remember that?) and it only had the Kareem fight. I didn’t know any better as this was my first introduction to Lee on this particular weekend.

Missed parts of this weekend including the G.O.D screening, but recall it fondly as I was away on holiday at the time. Managed to watch WOTD which had all the non nunchaku cuts restored. It was first time I caught any BL movies subtitled and in Widescreen. That was enough to make a young teenage fanboy happy. Coupled with a pretty decent made for T.V documentary, that's still better than any of the one we've had over the last few year's.

At this time I just wasnt a big fan of the 1978 version, for me with my then very limited movie watching experience. lt was the worst most distastful thing I'd ever sat through. My appreciation for it grew, as I learned about other Hong Kong movies and the talents involved.

What are your thoughts on Tower of Death(1981)?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Missed parts of this weekend including the G.O.D screening, but recall it fondly as I was away on holiday at the time. Managed to watch WOTD which had all the non nunchaku cuts restored. It was first time I caught any BL movies subtitled and in Widescreen. That was enough to make a young teenage fanboy happy. Coupled with a pretty decent made for T.V documentary, that's still better than any of the one we've had over the last few year's.

At this time I just wasnt a big fan of the 1978 version, for me with my then very limited movie watching experience. lt was the worst most distastful thing I'd ever sat through. My appreciation for it grew, as I learned about other Hong Kong movies and the talents involved.

What are your thoughts on Tower of Death(1981)?.

That made for tv documentary you mention is Tale of the dragon. It’s a nice documentary you can see it on  YouTube. You’re right Game of Death (1978) is distasteful on many counts but it’s a strange part of the Bruce lee movie catalogue. Tower of death was even stranger! But it feels more and less hokey at the same time! A very bizarre movie with Kung fu, obedient Peacocks, a fighting Lion and an underground drug factory guarded by spacemen looking lab workers and Tarzan’s long lost Korean cousin! Also included is a Bruce lee imitator playing both Lee and (after lee’s character plunges from a helicopter which is hi jacking his dead masters coffin) his brother. All that being said I do like the movie in it’s own way. hwang Chang Lee is awesome! Amazing boot man of his time it’s always a pleasure to watch him kick. I even like the fake Bruce scenes for the action, it’s also pretty cool to see the Enter the Dragon footage that wasn’t used when lee enters his room and has a look at his own book. I would like to see the version of Tower of Death that has the nunchaku scene in it near the end where Tong Lung sneaks into the drug lab. Any ideas?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

I would like to see the version of Tower of Death that has the nunchaku scene in it near the end where Tong Lung sneaks into the drug lab. Any ideas?

That very brief sqeuence with the nunchaku used to be YouTube. It makes you wonder how many other snippet were cut from the film. It just seemed like such a throw away moment, half heartedly done. If you havent viewed it, you are not missing that much. It's a solid tribute that for some reason didnt feature a significent nunchaku fight scene. Despite the weapon being so heavily associated with Bruce Lee's screen persona.

That made for tv documentary you mention is Tale of the dragon. It’s a nice documentary you can see it on  YouTube.

Thats right, I've posted a link to it on in this sub forum in the past.

it’s also pretty cool to see the Enter the Dragon footage that wasn’t used when lee enters his room and has a look at his own book.

It's stil the only place to see some of those ETD outtakes, with the Estate or Warner Brothers showing no interest in putting it on any official releases.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

It was the late night Channel 4 screening of GOD (Jan 2001) that made me a kung fu film fan. And it only had the Kareem fight, due to using the Singapore edit (Ji Han Jae) and being cut to match the BBFC rules (Dan Inosanto).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

That very brief sqeuence with the nunchaku used to be YouTube. It makes you wonder how many other snippet were cut from the film. It just seemed like such a throw away moment, half heartedly done. If you havent viewed it, you are not missing that much. It's a solid tribute that for some reason didnt feature a significent nunchaku fight scene. Despite the weapon being so heavily associated with Bruce Lee's screen persona.

Thats right, I've posted a link to it on in this sub forum in the past.

I have seen the clip along with some other airport arrival scenes and a few other bits which I think are part of the extended Korean version. I’d just like to own the longer version so I can sit through the whole thing with all scenes intact.

It's stil the only place to see some of those ETD outtakes, with the Estate or Warner Brothers showing no interest in putting it on any official releases.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, Drunksnake said:

I’d just like to own the longer version so I can sit through the whole thing with all scenes intact.

Hi @Drunksnake, you want to read the thread below, if you havent done already?.

• Like 2