Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

Source- https://news.toyark.com/2019/02/17/toy-fair-2019-dst-john-wick-westworld-and-bruce-lee-336308

In this gallery, we have a mix of three newer lines from Diamond Select Toys at Toy Fair 2019. A nice surprise was a series of great look Westworld action figures. We also get our first look at the Bruce Lee action figures, and some new John Wick collectibles! Included are:

Toy-Fair-2019-DST-Bruce-Lee-007-928x483.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

Hai Tien awaits his turn in the Game of Death, while keeping an eye on his cohort's.

GameofDeath43.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Original 1978 review of Game of Death, from American T.V.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

@Alan C, here's the alternative G.O.D score, for the final pogoda fight., I'm not sure who created this, Joseph Kuo perhaps?.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
23 hours ago, Alan C said:

Truly bizarre eh?  At times it feels like a music video,smilar to how the Artport version came across. 

Kinda odd, especially when John Barry had already created his soundtrack for the film. As far as I know, its only ever been used on the Best of MA version of the fight. Which always had different lighting, and hadnt been darkened like the Robert Clouse cut had. To try and further hide, James Tien and Chieh Yuen bodies.

It's a good example how music can completely change the atompshere of a scene.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

@Alan C, what are your opinions on John Little's Warrior's Journey book?.

A fair question DragonClaws.

I find the reverential approach to  "Bruce's philosophy" mostly immature. To me, the real gold is Lee's  film notes and script outline -- and for that, it's worth it.

That said, I don't knock  the WJ documentary for the simple fact that it did it's job  -- giving us the extra 28.23 minutes of Game of Death footage. I  was disappointed in the editing of that footage (both WJ and Artport) because much was lost in translation both thematically and kinetically. As maligned as the Game of Death 1978 is, the one thing that film editor Alan Pattillo got right was his execution of pacing to Lee's fight scenes. I've often said, to the horror of some fans, that the overall rhythm of the 78 cut is much closer to Bruce's sensibilities as a filmmaker than the presentation we got in WJ/Artport. Additionally, in an effort to distance themselves from the '78 film, they created new music and ended up throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  My problem with the music used on WJ, is that  ultimately it was too restrained and passive to drive the visuals, and ended up being  just plain boring and forgettable.

Which leads me to the unsung hero of Game of Death: Composer John Barry and his incredible film score. Some have claimed that the Barry's soundtrack was too redundant, that it's basically the same piece of music in a different key repeated ad nauseam. I  strongly disagree. If you pay attention, those pieces, based around the main theme, tell a very distinct story in their own right and compliment the fabric of Lee's vision for the story.

Part of  the challenge for me, was how to best fill the 22 minute gaps ( my runtime is 34 mts total) in the musical cues of the 1978 version and marry them to the extra footage without  losing or interrupting Bruce' narrative. Otherwise, you just end up with what feels like a music video, much like the Artport cut. My goal was to allow Barry's soundtrack to fill the void in the most organic way -  allowing the best and most faithful version of the story to emerge. I wasn't interested in reinventing the wheel, but  rather extending it.

Edited by Alan C
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
28 minutes ago, Alan C said:

I find the reverential approach to  "Bruce's philosophy" mostly immature. To me, the real gold is Lee's  film notes and script outline -- and for that, it's worth it.

That said, I don't knock  the WJ documentary for the simple fact that it did it's job  -- giving us the extra 28.23 minutes of Game of Death footage. I  was disappointed in the editing of that footage (both WJ and Artport) because much was lost in translation both thematically and kinetically. As maligned as the Game of Death 1978 is, the one thing that film editor Alan Pattillo got right was his execution of pacing to Lee's fight scenes. I've often said, to the horror of some fans, that the overall rhythm of the 78 cut is much closer to Bruce's sensibilities as a filmmaker than the presentation we got in WJ/Artport. Additionally, in an effort to distance themselves from the '78 film, they created new music and ended up throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  My problem with the music used on WJ, is that  ultimately it was too restrained and passive to drive the visuals, and ended up being  just plain boring and forgettable.

Thanks for the answer, and a great post too.

The first time I saw the extended footage, it had been mangled by Britsh T.V producer's. The U.K T.V premeire of WJ, happened a few months before the physical release. As a younger fan, I was stoked to know it was being broadcast. When the project was still very much new/fresh. IMPACT magazine advertised the screening too. Only what they didnt know, was the channel which had bought the right to Little's film. Decided to re-edit the whole thing, complete with a new narration. It was awful, the pogoda footage was so heavily reduced it made no sense. To what length I cant say, but lets just say it was overly cut. With no consideration to what BL was trying to do.

Then I caught the overly long Art-Port version, which was far superior. However, it was clear the pacing was completely gone. I'm not knocking anyone work here, were lucky to get any kind of extended version released. They did include a guitar driven nod to Barry score at least.

36 minutes ago, Alan C said:

Which leads me to the unsung hero of Game of Death: Composer John Barry and his incredible film score. Some have claimed that the Barry's soundtrack was too redundant, that it's basically the same piece of music in a different key repeated ad nauseam. I  strongly disagree. If you pay attention, those pieces, based around the main theme, tell a very distinct story in their own right and compliment the fabric of Lee's vision for the story.

I always thought it was a classy soundtrack, to a very trashy film. It helped to elevate the finale as you said and the overall film.

37 minutes ago, Alan C said:

Part of  the challenge for me, was how to best fill the 22 minute gaps ( my runtime is 34 mts total) in the musical cues of the 1978 version and marry them to the extra footage without  losing or interrupting Bruce' narrative. Otherwise, you just end up with what feels like a music video, much like the Artport cut. My goal was to allow Barry's soundtrack to fill the void in the most organic way -  allowing the best and most faithful version of the story to emerge. I wasn't interested in reinventing the wheel, but  rather extending it.

Cant be an easy task, when you start re-arranging footage, filmed by someone else. You can end up painting yourself into a corner. What to inlcude, what you dont include. How editing certain footage, effects later scenes etc etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Cant be an easy task, when you start re-arranging footage, filmed by someone else. You can end up painting yourself into a corner. What to inlcude, what you dont include. How editing certain footage, effects later scenes etc etc.

Exactly. I spent 4 months on the project, going back and forth with what you described. in many cases, I had to reconstruct foley sound and dialogue as I couldn't isolate tracks that had the Artport /WJ music over the combat and dialogue. Grueling, but worth it in the end. That said, it was a true labor of love for me.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, Alan C said:

Exactly. I spent 4 months on the project, going back and forth with what you described. in many cases, I had to reconstruct foley sound and dialogue as I couldn't isolate tracks that had the Artport /WJ music over the combat and dialogue. Grueling, but worth it in the end. That said, it was a true labor of love for me.

You have to love something, to put that of amount of work & effort into it.

Hai Tien pulls one of his few allies?, out of the fight.

BL744.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
23 hours ago, sym8 said:

If I was him I’d take the lift on this one 🥵

You cracked me up with that one @sym8

He'd need a bullit proof jumpsuit too, with a crash helmet like the S.W.A.T team in The Raid.

BL1133.jpg

• Like 2

DragonClaws
3 hours ago, thehangman said:

Does anyone wish he would of finished Game of death instead of going to shoot Enter the dragon?

Not to be awkard, but I I just wish he'd made more movies. Had he made the two films the opposite way round, we would alll be looking at a half complete ETD. Sayin wow, what would his first U.S co-production have been like?. For example, if he had just left the cavern sequence behind, that would have left fans picking it apart and trying to guess how it would have been worked into the film etc. The one major difference being, ETD procution would have left behind a completed written script at least

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest studios 1972, for the filming of the Winston's cigarette's commerical. It's not clear if the actual advert featured footage filmed on the Game of Death set?. Even though they filmed advert, while BL was making the movie. Bolo Yeung who was cast in the advert thanks to BL, was also rumoured to have a role in the unfinnished G.O.D project.

tumblr_mragj7KK041qa1iiqo1_1280.jpg

bbf352f72e667cb3326453f63643a9b0.jpg

Note: Bruce Lee wear's his sports shoe's on the rare on-set image @Marcos Ocaña posted in the on the forum recently(See link bleow for image). Instead of the platform/heeled boot's he wears for these outside photo's above. Taken on the same day.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Killer Meteor

Probably the only trailer ever to mix Baron Samedi's Dance of Death with Barry White's Love's Theme!

• Like 2

DragonClaws

A big thanks to Ben Johnson, for posting this on his social media page.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2