Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

DragonClaws
20 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Is that Kim Tai Jong or the other double?

I think it's Kim Tai-Chung, here's a un-cropped version of a similar image I posted a few months back..

Kim Tai-Chung posing for a picture with Dan Inosanto, with a member of stunt team, or film crew.

KimTaiChung7.jpg

• Like 1

DragonClaws

For some reason I'm unable to edit one post in this thread, any ideas what might be happening @thekfc and @SMK?.

The problem only effects this thread, which makes it even stranger. I tried to quote the said post, only it wont even allow me do that.

The content I'm talking about, is the last post on page 13.

Edited by DragonClaws

sifu iron perm
On 4/22/2019 at 8:29 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Capture.PNG

The scene looks like a rendition of Frankenstein. 

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 5/19/2019 at 10:00 PM, sifu iron perm said:

The scene looks like a rendition of Frankenstein. 

How many horror elements would BL have used in the final cut?. Was Kareem just supposed to be light sensitive?, or was there more to it.

DragonClaws

Are these just poorly scanned badly cropped images, from the G.O.D New Teritories shoot?. Or are they captures from Henry Wong's still unreleased behind the scenes footage?. The watermark is not mine, I'm not sure who's it is?.

BL2795.jpg

BL2794.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:41 PM, DragonClaws said:

How many horror elements would BL have used in the final cut?. Was Kareem just supposed to be light sensitive?, or was there more to it.

More to it. For now, let's just say the entire pagoda sequence and specifically Kareem's character,  aren't neccesarilly meant to be viewed in the literal sense. The answer to the mystery of Mantis is more apparent when viewed through a Jungian lens. Much more on this in my G.O.D retrospective panel in NY next month.

More on all this next week.

Edited by Alan C
  • Like 3

DragonClaws
21 hours ago, Alan C said:

More to it. For now, let's just say the entire pagoda sequence and specifically Kareem's character,  aren't neccesarilly meant to be viewed in the literal sense. The answer to the mystery of Mantis is more apparent when viewed through a Jungian lens. Much more on this in my G.O.D retrospective panel in NY next month.

Did he ever actally write down a detialed desicription of Kareem character, and what he was supposed to be?. Or was he just going to let the audience see it however they wanted?.

Are there more detials about this up-coming G.O.D panel?.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:31 AM, DragonClaws said:

Did he ever actally write down a detialed desicription of Kareem character, and what he was supposed to be?. Or was he just going to let the audience see it however they wanted?.

Are there more detials about this up-coming G.O.D panel?.

to my knowledge, lee never wrote a detailed description of Mantis, and it's my opinion that he wanted to leave the conclusion ambiguous to the viewer (this fell inline perfectly with  his attempt to "make multi-level films" ).

More details on the event:

On the eve of the 46th anniversary of Bruce Lee's passing, Alan Canvan will premiere a new edit of Lee's Game of Death (Running Time 39:05), a posthumously released unfinished film. Visualized by Canvan, the new cut reframes Lee's famous project by combining John Barry's riveting film score with Lee's extended raw footage to reveal the hidden symbolism and themes within the narrative of Game of Death. The result is a powerful and resonant story that explores classical mythology and Jungian psychology, honoring the artistry of both Bruce Lee and John Barry. After the screening, Canvan will be joined by author Matthew Polly (Bruce Lee: A Life) for a discussion on Game of Death, followed by Q&A with the audience.

Bamboo,Nunchucks.jpg

• Like 3

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, Alan C said:

More details on the event:

On the eve of the 46th anniversary of Bruce Lee's passing, Alan Canvan will premiere a new edit of Lee's Game of Death (Running Time 39:05), a posthumously released unfinished film. Visualized by Canvan, the new cut reframes Lee's famous project by combining John Barry's riveting film score with Lee's extended raw footage to reveal the hidden symbolism and themes within the narrative of Game of Death. The result is a powerful and resonant story that explores classical mythology and Jungian psychology, honoring the artistry of both Bruce Lee and John Barry. After the screening, Canvan will be joined by author Matthew Polly (Bruce Lee: A Life) for a discussion on Game of Death, followed by Q&A with the audience.

This sounds really good, will the Q&A be filmed for those unable to make it over to New York?.

2 hours ago, Alan C said:

to my knowledge, lee never wrote a detailed description of Mantis, and it's my opinion that he wanted to leave the conclusion ambiguous to the viewer (this fell inline perfectly with  his attempt to "make multi-level films" ). 

Wonder if Kareem's character would have appeared earlier in the finished film?. Or would the pogoda sequence be his introduction to the audience?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

This sounds really good, will the Q&A be filmed for those unable to make it over to New York?.

Wonder if Kareem's character would have appeared earlier in the finished film?. Or would the pogoda sequence be his introduction to the audience?.

Yes, the plan is for it to be filmed.

My sense is Lee would have saved the reveal of Mantis for the pagoda sequence as is.  It makes sense as there was a big buildup to what was on the 5th floor. In the script, the only surviving member of a separate raid ends up in a mental institution as a result of the experience. In reference to Mantis, he repeats the phrase "incredible strength and agility" in a shocked state (I'm paraphrasing as I don't recall the exact words right now).

• Like 3

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, Alan C said:

Yes, the plan is for it to be filmed.

Sounds good to me.

17 hours ago, Alan C said:

My sense is Lee would have saved the reveal of Mantis for the pagoda sequence as is.  It makes sense as there was a big buildup to what was on the 5th floor. In the script, the only surviving member of a separate raid ends up in a mental institution as a result of the experience. In reference to Mantis, he repeats the phrase "incredible strength and agility" in a shocked state (I'm paraphrasing as I don't recall the exact words right now).

Yeah, I've read about the inclusion of the guy in the mental institute. You can imagine maybe a few nightmare like flashbacks, to him seeing Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Wihtout ay big revealing shots of his actual character, or how he look's. A bit similar to how they used the James Tien footage as a flashback in the 1978 version. You get the shot of him just staring up in awe.

• Like 2