Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

On 3/23/2019 at 9:19 AM, DragonClaws said:

In this compilation of fight scenes from the British T.V show The Avenger's. There's a clip of a female character, wearing a red-striped jumpsuit, very much like BL's in G.O.D Only this show ended in 1969, a good few years before BL's project began filming. Skip to the 4-minute 6-sec mark of the compilation, for the relevant scene.

Did it influence BL?, the show aired in the States, while he was stil living there.

That would be Mrs. Emma Peel (Diana Rigg)! And, that may not be the only episode she wore that in. She was and still is a legend. She was one of a few actresses doing fighting action back then. Though the fight choreography looks a bit outdated and silly now, it was exciting stuff back then. It’s interesting to note that the American television series Wild Wild West received a lot of credit for incorporating martial arts into a television series but The Avengers were doing the same thing during that same time period. 

• Like 3

DragonClaws
15 hours ago, reason108 said:

That would be Mrs. Emma Peel (Diana Rigg)! And, that may not be the only episode she wore that in.

A few more examples here @reason108, as worn by Yokrshrie actress Diana Rigg.

diana-rigg-emma-peel-19.jpg

diana-rigg-emma-peel-20.jpg

Avengers.jpg

emma-peel-1.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

@reason108, Diana Rigg(Pictured) also starred alongside George Laezenby in his only James Bond role, On Her Majesty's Secret Service(1969). Who would later be rumoured to appear in the Game of Death project, back 1973. John Barry scored the Bond movie, and later did the soundtrack for the 1978 version of the BL movie.

The-Avengers-Diana-Rigg-in-blue-jumpsuit

Edited by DragonClaws

DragonClaws
On 3/26/2019 at 9:28 PM, Alan C said:

Nope, not buying it. Are we to believe that the color of the nunchucks and sneakers were 'random' as well?

Lee was very precise in what he chose to put on screen. 'Game', his sophomore effort, would be no different in that regard. The color of the tracksuit was reflected the color schemes of a tiger - as Hai Tien's fighting moniker was "Yellow Faced Tiger".

George Tan - Lee never went to Korea. The exteriors you see of Dan and Who ng In Sik were shot in a part of Hong Kong called Sai Kung(which is where my wife lived when I met her).The area is home to alot of H.K. stars, including Jackie Chan.Back then,it wasn't really developed,so it was the home for alot of exterior locations in kung fu movies.The interiors are just a set.Nobody I've spoken to(including Linda) has a clue why he chose his color scheme.I'm sure John Little will discover the reason in a few years!(FOUND-The lost Tracksuit!).Speaking of the tracksuit,it's actually lost,along with the nunchaku's.Linda didn't know where they were.I know Dan still has his nunchuks from the film.

Source- http://www.bruceleedivinewind.com/georgetan.html

BL with Wu Ngan and Dan Inosanto, filming exterior footage for G.O.D, 1972.

BL2587.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

BL posing for a picture in the New Territories, during the 1972 G.O.D  shoot. With Dan Inosanto,Wu Ngan and other assorted Golden Harvest stuntmen.

BL2261.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, DragonClaws said:

DragonClaws - this has been a life saver  for the Game project I've been working on for the last 3 months :) That said, it's not a COMPLETE sdtrk. There are beautiful musical cues in the film that never made it to the CD, that I would love to have used.

Edited by Alan C
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, Alan C said:

DragonClaws - this has been a life saver  for the my Game project I've been working on for the last 3 months :) That said, it's not a COMPLETE sdtrk.

I'm not sure if it's the complete booklet?, it's the only time I've read John Barry's actual comments on the soundtrack.

Looking forward to reading your G.O.D soundtrack article @Alan C.

Source- https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/soundtracks-on-cd-item-list-g-c-12_79/game-of-death-soundtrack-cd-john-barry-bruce-lee-p-24935

19CDG08_Game_Of_Death.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Looking forward to reading your G.O.D soundtrack article @Alan C.

19CDG08_Game_Of_Death.jpg

Not an article DragonClaws. It's a recut of Game of Death ;)

Edited by Alan C
  • Like 3

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, Alan C said:

Not an article DragonClaws. Details to come soon ;)

Cool, looking forward to hearing more details.

489.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Splicing Bruce Lee Back to Life - By Kenneth Turan July 22 1970

Splicing Bruce Lee Back to Life - By Kenneth Turan July 22 1979

His name was up on the theater marquee, big as life. His shoes and other memorabilia were in a glass display case. And 2,000 of his fans, many of them specially robed and belted, stood by quietly as a proclamation was read making this his day. Bruce Lee, the face that launched a thousand fists, had returned.

This is not like the unretirement of George Jessel or Tony Orlando or some other celebrity who decided the public had been deprived of their presence long enough.Bruce Lee has not been brooding somewhere in plush seclusion. Bruce Lee has Been dead for nearly six years. When he makes a new picture, titled, appropriately enough, "Game of Death," that is some kind of event.

Andre Morgan, line producer of "Game of Death," is on the phone from Hong Kong. The connection is weak, but the numbers are strong. "The Rio opening was huge, one of the biggest they've ever had," he says with satisfaction. "It's breaking records in Sao Paolo.Business is very, very good in Germany, and it was the No. 5 grosser in Japan last year, earning $8 million." Not only has a dead man made a new film, the thing is earning a fortune.

It is difficult to explain to noninitiates the singular drawing power of Bruce Lee. Calling him a martial artist is a bit like calling Proust a scribber. He was not of the genre; he defined and created it, combining startling yet graceful physical movements with an exceptional screen presence and charisma. It took Lee - the 1958 Cha Cha King of Hong Kong, a former waiter in a Chinese restaurant in Seattle and a 4-F Army reject - less than two years to bounce from relative obscurity to a status as the hottest property in world cinema, capable of asking a million dollars a picture. His last film, "Enter the Dragon," has recorded world-wide box office earnings in excess of $100 million. As Esquire headlined in 1973, "Is not Warner Bros. ancient and wise? Is not Bruce Lee young and coming up fast?" And then . . .

On July 20, 1973, Lee went to the Hong Kong apartment of actress Betty Ting Pei. He complained of a headache, was given a prescription pain killer called Equagesic, went into the bedroom to rest, could not be wakened, and was rushed to a hospital where he died at 11:30 p.m. He was 32. The coroner's verdict was "death by misadventure," the technical cause acute cerebral edema. Explained one doctor, "his brain was swollen like a sponge."

Given these circumstances, it was only natural that a cult should form around Bruce Lee, but what is surprising is that today, half a dozen years after his death, he is at the peak of his popularity. The Bruce Lee International Fan Club claims an active membership of more than 10,000. Fighting Stars, a magazine centered around the tearful worship of the great man's exploits, comes out every other month larded with letters like the following from a man in Detroit: "I want all Bruce Lee fans to write. Remember the great Bruce Lee. His spirit lives on!"

Most durable have been the literally dozens of quickie-cheapie films made with no relation to Bruce Lee except the mercenary hope of cashing in on his reputation. "The Black Dragon Revenges the Death of Bruce Lee," for example, just opened in London where a critic called it "the shoddiest and feeblest of all kung fu exploitation movies. . . . Its distinctions include a plot without the least pretense to coherence."

In addition, a recent issue of The Washington Post carried ads for no less than three films eager to profit from his good name: "Good Guys Wear Black," with lead actor Chuck Norris promoted as "He fought to the death with Bruce Lee"; a film based on a script idea of Lee's and advertised as "Bruce Lee's spirit lives in . . . Circle of Iron"; as well as the more conventional albeit ghoulish "Bruce Lee Fights Back From the Grave -n You Can't Keep a Good Man Down!"

As these feeble rip-offs proliferated, consider the plight of Raymond Chow, managing director of Hong Kong's Golden Harvest Group and the producer of many of Lee's films. Chow had in his possession sizable chunks of the very last Bruce Lee epic, the one he'd been working on at the time of his demise. Given all of the above, Chow knew that if he could turn it into a finished product, there would be no end to the money that could be made. But the nature of the footage shot seemed to make that hope an impossibility.

The problem was that even Lee himself didn't know what "Game of Death" was supposed to be about. According to his wife Linda in her book, "Bruce Lee: The Man Only I Knew," the closest he got to a plot was the idea of "a treasure kept on the top floor of a pagoda in Korea. It was a pagoda where martial artists were trained and each floor was devoted to training a different style of martial art."

Naturally, Lee would end up triumphantly fighting his way to the top, but according to an associate, the filming of his progress was done in a rather haphazard way: "When somebody he wanted to use showed up in Hong Kong, he'd hire 'em and shoot a sequence." In his way fights with nunchaku expert Danny Inosanto, Korean 7th-degree Hapkido Chi Hon Joi and very tall martial arts devotee Kareem Abdul Jabbar of the Los Angeles Lakers were filmed.

After Lee's death, Chow's first thoughts, according to producer Andre Morgan, was to "just shelve the film and forget about it. But exhibitors and distributors who were aware that the footage existed put a lot of pressure on him to do something," and in 1976 Chow finally relented and put together a "think tank" to try and come up with a usable plot.

It was, remembers Morgan, an experience "I don't wish on anyone, like working on a jigsaw puzzle backwards, starting in the middle and not in the four corners. We had the fight scenes, what we needed was the story line to justify them. Every distributor in every territory in the world had a pet theory on what would work in his market. We got dozens of unsolicited scripts from people who hadn't even seen the footage. One had Bruce coming back from the dead, another had a younger brother taking over from him, a third had him fighting with the devil. You name it, we had it, it ran the whole gamut. It got a little aggravating at times."

The final script, which went through five writers and three drafts, takes advantage of one of the many rumors surrounding Lee's death, that some kind of Chinese mafia put him out of commission. In "Game of Death," star martial artist Billy Lo is threatened by a nasty syndicate that apparently controls every sports and entertainment figure in the known world.

Billy, being made of sterner stuff decided to resist, proclaiming sturdily, "It is better to die a broken piece of jade than live a piece of clay." He is shot for his trouble, but though the syndicate thinks he has died, he in fact toughs it out and ends up fighting his way through the many stories of Hong Kong's Red Pepper Restaurant (which has replaced the Korean pagoda) and wreaking vengeance on the by now sniveling syndicate boss, a delicious, scenery-chewing cameo by Academy Award-winner Dean Jagger.

Also to be located was someone to play the newly created role of hero's girl friend. Selected was Colleen Camp, a 26-year-old actress who had been charming and effective in "Smile" and "Funny Lady" and who was just coming off a tour of duty as a troop-entertaining Playboy Bunny in Francis Ford Coppola's "Apocalypse Now."

"I'd been in the Phillipines for six months, I was jungled out, do you get the picture, and my agent says, 'We've got this great role for you starring opposite Bruce Lee.' 'I thought he was dead,' I said, and he says 'Yeah, exactly.' I said, 'Is this a publicity stunt or something, how can I play opposite a dead man, can you imagine?' 'Well,' he says, 'at least he won't upstage you,'"

Her agent's insistence and the fact that she got to sing the title song - "It's Number One in Japan" - helped Camp overcome her doubts, but now that she has seen the finished product she's not so sure about the wisdom of it all.

"The first words out of my mouth are, 'Let's go sphagetti tonight, I'm tired of Cantonese food,' can you imagine," she says in her breathlessly nonstop way. "My dialogue is mostly me screaming 'Billy!' karate chop, karate chop, 'Billy!' karate chop, karate chop. I'm going 'Billy, how are we going to get out of this' like those things you see on bad soap operas. I probably should't be saying this, but it's true."

Aside from the cardboard nature of her "I-made-love-to-a-dead-man" role, Camp found the whole experience "very weird. I mean his name was on the call sheet; it said 'Bruce.' And the two doubles looked so much like him it was frightening. There was a very eerie, mystical feeling to it. I'd ask questions about Bruce and everyone would be evasive. A lot of people in Hong Kong thought he was still alive, they said he knew he was getting too popular and he was pretending to be dead so he could rest. That kinda scared me."

Camp left Hong Kong at the end of the 10-week shooting with enough luggage to paralyze a horse plus a greatly increased admiration for the talents of her deceased costar.

"The guy is a brilliant talent, brilliant I tell you," she tells you. "I think he is one of the most charismatic things ever seen on film, do you know what I mean? He's a star, he's a big star. I wsa much more excited watching him than me, I was really turned on to the guy."

Equally impressed by Lee was the man who'd directed him in "Enter the Dragon" and was everyone's inevitable choice to finish up "Game of Death," Robert Clouse. "He was not a great actor, he had a funny voice and an accent some people thought was humorous, but his screen presence was just tremendous," the director remembers. "He could just stand there and stare, it was with such concentration you felt he could kill you just by staring. It came across like a bolt of electricity."

Robert Clouse is a placid, relaxed man of 51, a pipe smoker who looks like he ought to be teaching English in a small New England conservatory. In 1970, he made a feature called "Darker Than Amber," based on the Travis McGee detective series, and, he says amiably, "I got typed right there as an action director, the poor man's Peckinpah. Bruce happened to see the film, liked what he saw, and said 'That's the guy I want to direct 'Enter the Dragon.'"

Clouse soon discovered that Lee was, in the words of his wife's biography, "no plaster saint." "He was high strung, very much so, with an enormous ego, just enormous," Clouse remembers, shaking his head. "He made a lot of enemies, he had many feuds in Hong Kong. He always thought people were out to get him.

"He wanted to impress everyone instantly. The frist time he met you, you'd expect him to shake hands but instead he's step back and flick out his foot so fast you could feel the air move right at the tip of your nose. Then he'd take your hand and place it on his stomach. It was kind of his calling card. After that, you could go out to lunch."

Clouse especially remembers the time Lee accidentally cut his hand in a screen fight with Bob Wall. "Bruce got paranoid and told his buddies, 'At the end of our big fight scene, I am going to kill Bob Wall.'

"Well I got a call from Raymond Chow in the middle of the night and he said, 'Bruce is going to kill Bob Wall, you have to call him and talk him out of it.' So I called him up and he said yes, he wsa going to pile-drive himself into Wall's chest and kill him. Finally I told him he couldn't do that, that we still needed Bob for some scenes here and there after the big fight. He grumbled but it gave him an out, he could tell his pals, 'I wanted to kill him, but for the sake of the picture. . . .'"

Clouse's initial problem on "Game of Death" had nothing to do with film. "Here's what we had to do," he explains pleasantly. "We had to placate Bruce's spirit.

"The day before we started all the cast and crew went up to the top of the studio where a doorway had been opened overlooking the city. There was a Buddhist priest, several pots of incense, a whole pig was roasting in fruits and vegetables. We all had to bow with clasped hands and make our gesture so that Bruce's spirit wouldn't cause us harm."

How successful that gesture was is debatable. In a bizarre postscript, several months after "Game of Death's" completion one of its stars, Gig Young, committed suicide in New York after killing his young bride, Kim Schmidt, a script supervisor he met while making the film.

"Once was started, the big problem we faced was trying to be credible," Clouse says, weary with just remembering. "It was a terrible, huge, exhausting job. We had to match clothes, match lighting, match makeup, which was very difficult because he would be cut and stuff. It took a lot of finagling.

If there are people who feel all Orientals look alike, this film was made for them."

As a finished products, "Game of Death" is cunning in places, awkward in others. It doesn't always work, but that it works at all is amazing. Sequences from earlier films - a flying leap from "the Chinese Connection," a fight in the Roman Coliseum (yes, the Roman Cloiseum) from "Return of the Dragon" - are cleverly worked into the plot, and, in Clouse's words, "snippets of Bruce are slipped in here and there to help camouflage the action." If anything, the whole package is reminiscent of the famous quotation of Dr. Johnson's comparing a woman preaching to a dog walking on its hind legs: "It is not done well, but you are surprised to find it done at all."

The genuine action footage is almost all compressed into a riveting, extraordinary 20 minutes near the finale. To see Bruce Lee's skill, his arrogance, his slickness, his almost inhuman magnetism, is to understand why this film was made in the first place and why it had to fail. Wonderful as it is, the footage only serves to underscore the qualities that set Lee apart and make duplication and imitation impossible.He was suit generis in life, and that is the way he remains.

BL2456.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

What a great article!

Agreed, The 1978 version was not a great example of moviemaking, but it was a success at the world box office. You can see why Chow wanted to stretch the success further with Tower of Death/G.O.D 2. The write-up gave say's Raymond Chow was pressured to release the footage by outside parties?. I was under the impression, he had already promised a new BL movie to some markets, before Lee had actually passed away?. I wonder if he had signed any deals with distirbutor's, while the movie was being shot?. BL had reached such heights with his fame. I could see many film compnaies fighting to get the theatrical rights early.

Anyone have more details or thoughts on this subject?.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Agreed, The 1978 version was not a great example of moviemaking, but it was a success at the world box office. You can see why Chow wanted to stretch the success further with Tower of Death/G.O.D 2. The write-up gave say's Raymond Chow was pressured to release the footage by outside parties?. I was under the impression, he had already promised a new BL movie to some markets, before Lee had actually passed away?. I wonder if he had signed any deals with distirbutor's, while the movie was being shot?. BL had reached such heights with his fame. I could see many film compnaies fighting to get the theatrical rights early.

Anyone have more details or thoughts on this subject?.

Not sure if Chow was inking deals for "Game" while Bruce was alive. In 1973, things were reaching a boiling point : Bruce was suspicious of Chow cooking the books and cheating him on monies from "Way". I suppose Chow could have been negotiating deals without Bruce's knowledge, but with the effort and focus on "Enter" in those last 6 months, I doubt Chow was thinking about "Game" - it would have been putting the cart before the horse, businesswise.

My .02 cents:  If Lee had lived, I don't think we would have seen the same  "Game of Death" we know today. After the success of "Enter", Lee would have left Honk Kong almost immediately, taking along his team of stuntmen and enjoying carte blanche in Hollywood. It's almost certain he would have shot it with better production values, resulting in having to reshoot the existing footage to match the new stuff. And the footage we have today might very well have been looked at as rehearsal for the main event.

Edited by Alan C
  • Like 1

shukocarl1441996347

Apparently  Game of Death was the biggest grosser of the Lee films in Japan, which led to Tower of Death being shot (partially) there. I'm not sure how that film fared in the box-office but I always wondered if Raymond Chow ever thought of another chapter in the Game of death series?  Game of Death III could have starred Kim Tai Jong again but without any further Bruce Lee footage, Chow probably thought it would have affected the takings? 

• Like 1

DragonClaws
22 hours ago, Alan C said:

Not sure if Chow was inking deals for "Game" while Bruce was alive

Hi @Alan C

I've got the idea from somehwere, its not something I've fabricated up. That sad, I still don't know if he was legally obliged to deliver G.O.D with or without BL?.

Bruce was suspicious of Chow cooking the books and cheating him on monies from "Way"

Thats a tough one, did Chow do it on his own accord?. Or was he being pressured/blackmailed from the triads's to do it?.

but with the effort and focus on "Enter" in those last 6 months, I doubt Chow was thinking about "Game" - it would have been putting the cart before the horse, businesswise.

It's possible he made the deal, befoe ETD was even announced. How long was Lee working on G.O.D before he froze the production?.

My .02 cents:  If Lee had lived, I don't think we would have seen the same  "Game of Death" we know today. After the success of "Enter", Lee would have left Honk Kong almost immediately, taking along his team of stuntmen and enjoying carte blanche in Hollywood. It's almost certain he would have shot it with better production values, resulting in having to reshoot the existing footage to match the new stuff. And the footage we have today might very well have been looked at as rehearsal for the main event. 

It's a strong possibility, some people even think he would have ditched the whole project. This I doubt, he'd filmed a promo movie, for the press and or foerign distributor's?. The public in H.K will have been aware of the film, a least before they stopped to make ETD.

10 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Game of Death III could have starred Kim Tai Jong again but without any further Bruce Lee footage, Chow probably thought it would have affected the takings? 

While I think they made thier money back on G.O.D 2. I dont think it set box office alight, at least not enough for Chow to make a third flick. I think Golden Harvest had hoped Kim Tai Chung would have been a bigger star, after that movie?. They did offer the Bobby Lo role to Jackie Chan at the time.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Here's some two link's to two really great in depth articles on Game of Death, from Bruce Lee's abandoned 1972 production. To the many variations and cash-in's that have followed it.

Link- https://brucelee.fandom.com/wiki/Game_of_Death

The yellow-and-black tracksuit [edit]Edit

The yellow-and-black tracksuit which Lee wore in the film has come to be seen as something of a trademark for the actor, and is paid homage to in numerous other media. In the Clouse-directed remake, the filmmakers rationalized its presence by including a scene where Billy Lo disguises himself as one of Dr. Land's motorcycle-riding thugs, who all wear striped jumpsuits.

In the warehouse scene, Billy Lo wears a pair of yellow Adidas shoes with black stripes and white shelltoes. Towards the end of the movie, Billy wears a pair of yellow Onitsuka Tiger shoes, with black stripes. This was due to the fact that the real Bruce Lee wore the latter when he was filming, and the double wore the former in the 1978 version to resemble his shoes.

In film [edit]Edit

• Uma Thurman wears a similar suit in Kill Bill: Vol. 1 when she travels to Japan to take on an underworld boss and assassin played by Lucy Liu. In homage to both the film and the remake, Thurman wears the suit and Onitsuka Tiger sneakers as part of her motorcycle-riding gear, and keeps the suit on during her battle with Liu and her gang, the Crazy 88.
  • In Shaolin Soccer, a similar suit is worn by the goalie "Empty Hand" (Danny Chan Kwok Kwan) who resembles Bruce Lee.
  • In the Jet Li film High Risk, Jacky Cheung plays a movie star who is losing his fighting ability due to his cowardice. When he regains his courage at the end of the film, he wears a copy of the yellow tracksuit. The role is generally felt to be a parody of Jackie Chan, but the references to Bruce Lee are also obvious.
  • The 1985 film The Last Dragon, produced by Motown legend Berry Gordy, centered around a Bruce Lee fan in search of reaching martial arts enlightenment who instructed his students wearing the same tracksuit.
  • In Revenge of the Nerds, Brian Tochi's character, Toshiro Takashi, wears the yellow jumpsuit while riding a tricycle during the inter-Greek competitions.
  • In the Wong Jing live-action City Hunter film, Jackie Chan uses the scene with Bruce fighting Kareem as a reference to dispatch his own taller opponents.
  • In Finishing the Game, Breeze Loo, played by Roger Fan, wears a yellow and black striped jumpsuit.
  • In the 2011 British comedy film On the Ropes, writer and director Mark Noyce added a scene in homage to his idol Bruce Lee which featured Mick Western (played by Ben Shockley) wearing a yellow tracksuit.

In gaming [edit]Edit

• The 1984 arcade video game Kung-Fu Master was inspired by Game of Death. The player protagonist fights bosses at the end of each level before climbing the stairs to the next, more difficult stage in a "Devil's Temple" with five floors.
  • Marshall Law and Forrest Law, from the Tekken series of fighting games, resemble Bruce Lee with their move set, whoops and yells and wears a sleeveless version of the tracksuit.
  • In Dead or Alive 4, Jann Lee's third costume is none other than the tracksuit and his ending movie includes him watching Bruce Lee movies to help him practice Jeet Kune Do.
  • In the Playmore fighting game Rage of the Dragons, Mr. Jones (who already bares a striking resemblance to Kareem Abdul Jabbar) wears a suit very similar to the famous yellow jump suit.
  • The suit is present in the MMORPG Anarchy Online as a piece of equipment for powerful martial artist characters.
  • In Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, one equippable item is the "kung fu suit," which is a yellow tracksuit with black vertical stripes along the sides.
  • Although the suit does not appear in any Street Fighter games, Fei Long wears it in several issues of the UDON Street Fighter comic book and in Masahiko Nakahira's Cammy manga.
  • In the video game Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, the main character can wear an identical outfit called the "Dragon Jumpsuit".
  • In the video game Shadow Hearts: From the New World talking cat and drunken master Mao confronts the master of cat martial arts, the tracksuit-clad "Bruce Meow".
  • In WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008, in the "Create a WWE Superstar" function the tracksuit is emulated.
  • In Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, the character Chie Satonaka's Persona is dressed in the same yellow jumpsuit, and fights with a combination of spears and Jeet Kun Do.
  • In Street Fighter IV, the character Rufus wears a yellow and black tracksuit. The suit matches his personality of having a great love for martial arts movies, leading to his style being adopted from imitating martial arts movies and mail order courses.
  • In the online game Dragon Fist 3: Age of the Warrior, one of the characters from martial arts films is Billy Lo (with Bruce Lee being animated out) from this film, dressed in the yellow-and-black jumpsuit, fighting with Jeet Kune Do, using a yellow nunchaku (which is not found in the Character Editor) as a weapon, and the one inch punch as a special move.
  • In most servers of the Dragonica online game, the gladiator class can summon a Bruce Lee styled character named Bro Lee who wears the jumpsuit to perform some Kung Fu moves. The players can also buy the suit from the cash shop to equip on their characters.
  • The yellow-and-black tracksuit can be obtained in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon from the custom character creation menu.
  • In Rumble Fighter, Billy's Jumpsuit is available in yellow, blue and green under the name: Billy Lo, Jeet Kune Do is also available as a fighting style.
  • A similar tracksuit can be found and worn in the Capcom game Dead Rising 2.
  • In Sleeping Dogs, Wei Shen can wear the "Hai Tien Vintage Jumpsuit".

BL2649.jpg

Source- https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/GameOfDeath

• Author Existence Failure: Bruce Lee scheduled to continue working on the film in September 1973 but he died in July, so the film remained unfinished.
  • Missing Episode: Currently 42 minutes of footage has been found and made public. More scenes might exist in the archives that will probably never be found. A documentary called Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey made in the early 2000's managed to find and piece together as much of the footage as they could find (which includes all of the fight footage from the upper three levels of the pagoda) but also reveals for the first time the movie's original plot, based on Lee's outlines and sketches.
  • Posthumous Credit: Bruce Lee passed away a month before Enter the Dragon was released. He had been working on this prior to his death and it was released five years later with the story rewritten and many of his scenes were comprised of Stock Footage from his previous films.
  • Urban Legend of Zelda: Several around this film because it was never finished.
    • There are many rumors about more scenes that were filmed (like alleged fights in the car park or at the airport) that are supposedly either destroyed or in the hands of private collectors.
    • There are many rumors that the pagoda has more than five floors plus the ground level, and about other fighters Bruce Lee meets, like mutants, samurais, dragons, ninjas,... None of these are true.
    • There is a persistent rumor that the film is a sequel to Way of the Dragon. This is disproved by the character names (Hai Tien in Game of Death and Tang Long in Way of the Dragon) and different characterizations of the two (Hai Tien shows much less remorse than Tang Lung).
  • What Could Have Been:
    • Before Lee's death, this would have been a mix between an action movie and a martial arts educational movie. The action side, involved a character named Hai Tien (Played by Lee) who has to save his sister by giving his captors what they believe to be treasure at the top of a pagoda. The educational side was to showcase the different single styles of Martial arts through each Pagoda Level and how Lee's own Concept of Jeet Kune Do irons out many flaws in said styles. The producers changed to whole plot after Lee's death to a generic revenge story with an evil syndicate.
    • Bruce Lee considered several actors, but their scenes were never filmed. These include: Nora Miao, Hwang In-shik, Taky Kimura, Blo Yeung, Betty Ting Pei, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao and Bob Wall. The last three of them appear in the 1978 version, but they don't reprise their intended roles.
    • The door to the pagoda was meant to be guarded by ten fighters with black belts in Karate, whom Lee would have to fight to get inside. The first and second floors were meant to be guarded by Hwang In-shik, who would utilize a unique kicking style, and Taky Kimura, a master of praying mantis kung fu.
    • Other actors that worked together with Bruce Lee, George Lazenby, Chuck Norris, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar were offered roles in the 1978 film but turned them down. Only Dan Inosanto reprised his original role. Steve McQueen and James Coburn, friends and students of Lee, were offered roles, but refused, due to finding the film in bad taste and the low pay Golden Harvest was offering.
    • From the finalized movie proper, producers initially wanted noted Bruce Lee Clone "Bruce Li" (real name Ho Chung Tao) to portray Billy Lo in the new footage alongside Kim Tai Chung. Presumably sharing the screen depending on who looked most like Bruce at specific angles. However, Li was three years into his career as a "leading" man and fed up with playing in Brucealike roles (making an exception for numerous biopics where he's obviously an actor playing Bruce and not trying to fool audiences) and turned down the opportunity.

BLArt10.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1