Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

On 2/25/2019 at 8:08 PM, saltysam said:

Tower Of Death is an epically great movie. It's amazing and no i'm not taking the piss.

When I first watched that movie, I was hoping for an inverted tower style G.O.D knock-off, for the finale. Having no knowledge of the film, and we all the talk about a monk building some random underground tower. Instead, we get Chin Ku's far out illegal drugs operation's, protecting by men in silver one peice suits, brandishing what look like harpoons?.

BL2389.jpg

44089207_p.jpg?w=1100

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Top Secret in the Making of Game of Death

Link- http://www.bruceleedaily.com/top-secret-in-the-making-of-bruce-lee-game-of-death

The important scene in "Game of Death" happened in a seven-storeyed tower. In that tower, each storey was guarded by a strong man. In entering the tower, Bruce had to defeat a strong man in a storey. In finding these seven men, Bruce had a great deal of difficulties. Later, Bruce went to the States. It was said that he had to settle some private matters. Actually he went to invite Jabbar to come to film in Hong Kong.

Setting up shot, for the stills camera man, and the film camera crew.

c97ce4b2c77917daf02fc934a11a4fdc.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Un-photoshopped version, of a classic, well known and iconic G.O.D 72 image.

game-of-death.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Bruce Lee in the bedroom of his Kowloon Tong home, with the genuine tiger skin rug. Also used on the set of Dan Inosanto's level, in G.O.D 72 pogoda scenes.

BL496X.jpg

Dan Inosanto's guardian fight's of Chieh Yuen's log attack, note the tiger rug on chair in the background.

BL572.jpg

Probably the best looking print I've seen, of perhaps the worst of the G.O.D inspired movies?.

The complete Pogoda sequence, featured in The True Game of Death(1979), filmed in Taiwan. Sourced from a much poorer print, than the video tribute above.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

"Where's the Dr?"

Kim Tai-Chung as Billy Lo, knocking the spit out of Stick(Mel Novak), in the finale of the Robert Clouse version.

KimTaiChung8.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

Kim Tai-Chung at Golden Harvest studios, striking a BL pose for Screen Test?

KimTaiChung5.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

In this compilation of fight scenes from the British T.V show The Avenger's. There's a clip of a female character, wearing a red-striped jumpsuit, very much like BL's in G.O.D Only this show ended in 1969, a good few years before BL's project began filming. Skip to the 4-minute 6-sec mark of the compilation, for the relevant scene.

Did it influence BL?, the show aired in the States, while he was stil living there.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Wish i could find this great looking print-it's not a good film but i'm a Bruceploitation movie collector.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
On 3/23/2019 at 9:11 PM, saltysam said:

Wish i could find this great looking print-it's not a good film but i'm a Bruceploitation movie collector.

Hi @saltysam, do you?, or anyone else, have any thoughts on The Avenger's show, giving BL the idea for part of his G.O.D characters wardrobe?.

13 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @saltysam, do you?, or anyone else, have any thoughts on The Avenger's show, giving BL the idea for part of his G.O.D characters wardrobe?.

Not sure, but if Andre Morgan is correct sounds like BL had little to do with the tracksuit choice https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/film-tv/article/1883903/truth-about-bruce-lees-yellow-jumpsuit

• Like 2

DragonClaws
6 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Not sure, but if Andre Morgan is correct sounds like BL had little to do with the tracksuit choice https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/film-tv/article/1883903/truth-about-bruce-lees-yellow-jumpsuit

I've heard that story before, but then there's Mattew Polly who says it came from BL seeing the ski tracksuits, during their trip to Europe in the 60's?. Hard to say which is right?, both make sense. It's just clear BL and been thinking about the G.O.D project, long before he got back to Hong Kong as an adult. Cant see BL passing up on watching a show, that features some Martial Arts content. Something which was much rarer back then, than it is now.

• Like 1

Omni Dragon

The Game jumpsuit, is of course also similar to the tracksuit Lee wore for Longstreet in 1971:

MV5BMzc1MDU1NTQ4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg5

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:32 PM, saltysam said:

Nope, not buying it. Are we to believe that the color of the nunchucks and sneakers were 'random' as well?

Lee was very precise in what he chose to put on screen. 'Game', his sophomore effort, would be no different in that regard. The color of the tracksuit was reflected the color schemes of a tiger - as Hai Tien's fighting moniker was "Yellow Faced Tiger".

Edited by Alan C
  • Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, DragonClaws said:

I've heard that story before, but then there's Mattew Polly who says it came from BL seeing the ski tracksuits, during their trip to Europe in the 60's?. Hard to say which is right?, both make sense. It's just clear BL and been thinking about the G.O.D project, long before he got back to Hong Kong as an adult. Cant see BL passing up on watching a show, that features some Martial Arts content. Something which was much rarer back then, than it is now.

You're 100% correct DragonClaws. Lee first had the idea of a fighter ascending a tower facing various stylists on each floor way back in 1959.

Edited by Alan C
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
23 hours ago, Alan C said:

Nope, not buying it. Are we to believe that the color of the nunchucks and sneakers were 'random' as well?

Lee was very precise in what he chose to put on screen. 'Game', his sophomore effort, would be no different in that regard. The color of the tracksuit was reflected the color schemes of a tiger - as Hai Tien's fighting moniker was "Yellow Faced Tiger".

Morgan might remember it being that way, it could be right, he coud be wrong?. I certainly wouldnt be able to recall exact minor details, after all this time had lapsed. If I'd worked on as many movies as Morgan has. If it wasnt for the Yellow Faced Tiger connection you mention, I wouldnt doubt the story at all.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 3/26/2019 at 9:29 PM, Alan C said:

You're 100% correct DragonClaws. Lee first had the idea of a fighter ascending a tower facing various stylists on each floor way back in 1959.

BL2248.jpg

• Like 2