Hall of the Unknown - The Game Of Death Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

Was this choreography picture(1st Image), taken the same day, as the stills of BL with the Karateka Team?, or the one's of him posing at Golden Harvest, next to his red Mercedes?.

BL1602.jpg

BL2048.jpg

d6bfb1c64608c7be044ba6dfa67e97de.jpg

GameofDeathPoster3.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

If he was supposed to battle those guys as the first floor he would be wearing the tracksuit. I assure you it was PR stills. I could be wrong, maybe Whang Ink Sik's students can ask him. Someone must know Guro Inosantos?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I just emailed his school. somebody could ask Danny Inosantos as well, he was there.

Dan Inosanto was there on a different day, with BL wearing black jeans instead of the suit,  but the Inosanto stuff, was shot at the same New Territories location/area.

BL4X.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

BL with his wife Linda, and producer Leonard Ho, who would work on Game of Death & Enter The Dragon, at a Fist of Fury promotional dinner.

ed46d87763a6f161635f156a470e8bd0.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 6:39 PM, DragonClaws said:

BL with his wife Linda, and producer Leonard Ho, who would work on Game of Death & Enter The Dragon, at a Fist of Fury promotional dinner.

ed46d87763a6f161635f156a470e8bd0.jpg

Not a a promotional dinner for Fist of Fury but a celebration banquet/dinner to celebrate the success of The Big Boss, you can read about this in the new book Bruce Lee Mandarin Superstar by Steve Kerridge and Darren Chua

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jin said:

The photo's of Bruce surrounded by the karate men in NT are actually test photo's pre-rehearsal for ETD

I heard this theory before, whats your source for this?.

It was one idea I thought could be true, but why woud Whang In-Sik be present?. He was going to have a role in G.O.D, but never offered a part ETD.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jin said:

Not a a promotional dinner for Fist of Fury but a celebration banquet/dinner to celebrate the success of The Big Boss, you can read about this in the new book Bruce Lee Mandarin Superstar by Steve Kerridge and Darren Chua

Thanks for that, I see some people mention it's from TBB celebraton, while some say it's for a FOF event. Bob Baker appears in any of the still's, was he in Hong Kong after the relesae of TBB, or brought in later for FOF?.

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I heard this theory before, whats your source for this?.

It was one idea I thought could be true, but why woud Whang In-Sik be present?. He was going to have a role in G.O.D, but never offered a part ETD.

my source Steve Kerridge

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks for that, I see some people mention it's from TBB celebraton, while some say it's for a FOF event. Bob Baker appears in any of the still's, was he in Hong Kong after the relesae of TBB, or brought in later for FOF?.

By the time the TBB celebratory banquet/dinner was held, the early publicty stills for Fist of fury had already been shot as evidenced by the attached pic of Bruce viewing them on the wall with Linda, so no mystery as to why Bob Baker was at the banquet.

Untitled-Scanned-22.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jin said:

my source Steve Kerridge

The guys know his stuff, but I'm still not convinced it was for ETD, though I could be in the wrong?, just a theory of mine, a gut feeling, you might say.

Why pay for a camera crew/stunt guys, to go out a into the New Teritories, to film test footage for ETD?. Why not do this on the Golden Harvest back lot?. Or like they did in some other cases, go to BL Kowloon home, and reherse/film test footage there. None of the stills, with BL and the Karatekas stunt team, match up with anything they did in ETD, choreogrpahy wise, at least. There might be other pictures/information, not released to the public, which prove otherwise?. Some people have access to materiel, that other's dont, which is often one of the reason, you get many varying opinions, on these kind of subjects.

Now some of the New Teritories pictures, featuring Dan Inosanto with BL, some of those, do match up with the moves/choreogrpahy, they performed, in their interior pogoda duel. Which means I wouldnt find it hard to believe. It was just an elaborate reharesal, for G.OD, in this case, at least.

Was the footage feauturing the G.O.D co-stars, Ji Han-Jae and Whang In-Sik, filmed on anohter day?. I know they visited the same location, a number of times, with different sets of actors etc.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The guys know his stuff, but I'm still not convinced it was for ETD, though I could be in the wrong?, just a theory of mine, a gut feeling, you might say.

Why pay for a camera crew/stunt guys, to go out a into the New Teritories, to film test footage for ETD?. Why not do this on the Golden Harvest back lot?. Or like they did in some other cases, go to BL Kowloon home, and reherse/film test footage there. None of the stills, with BL and the Karatekas stunt team, match up with anything they did in ETD, choreogrpahy wise, at least. There might be other pictures/information, not released to the public, which prove otherwise?. Some people have access to materiel, that other's dont, which is often one of the reason, you get many varying opinions, on these kind of subjects.

Now some of the New Teritories pictures, featuring Dan Inosanto with BL, some of those, do match up with the moves/choreogrpahy, they performed, in their interior pogoda duel. Which means I wouldnt find it hard to believe. It was just an elaborate reharesal, for G.OD, in this case, at least.

Was the footage feauturing the G.O.D co-stars, Ji Han-Jae and Whang In-Sik, filmed on anohter day?. I know they visited the same location, a number of times, with different sets of actors etc.

there test photo's so accordingly that's perhaps why nothing matches up as you say what they did in ETD, Bruce was always experimenting and changing things, "running water never grows stale".

I personally don't obsess over all this lost/misplaced footage anymore, i used to but to me its a waste of time, i'd rather see the HK TV demo's of Lee talking and demostrating his JKD than anything else.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jin said:

there test photo's so accordingly that's perhaps why nothing matches up as you say what they did in ETD, Bruce was always experimenting and changing things, "running water never grows stale".

It just seems like an original fight all its own, BL, might have even been standing in, for anohter actor in the photo's?. Maybe he was showng anohter cast member, how to perform a fight scene, rather than directing one, feauturing himself?. Unicorn Chan was there, for camera duties, he can be seen in some un-cropped version's of some New Teritories still's, standing behind the camera.

Did Warner Brother ever request a screen test from BL?, for ETD, unless the Golden Harvest movies he showed to Fred Weintruab/sent to WB, were enough?. Anohter possibility/reason, they went out to film random stuff with a crew. Well it seems random to us, but I'm sure it was part of a bigger plan. A small studio like GH, wouldnt have wasted expensive celluloid, just for test footage?.

5 hours ago, jin said:

I personally don't obsess over all this lost/misplaced footage anymore,

Obsess, is a strong word, I think it wil always intrigue me, and some other fans of a certain generation. This is the only place I can talk about the subject too, had BL lived, we really wouldnt be looking at it as closely. Always enjoy reading other peoples facts/opinons or theories, in regards to his fourth and un-completed, Golden Harvest movie. There would be other more interesting topic's to discuss, it is a static topic at the end of the day.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

Well, look how long Bruce’s cut of Game sat in the vault. It took 30 years for it to see the light of day. If someone knew what they were looking for and had access to the vault, who knows. Too bad FS are still holding the reins of these titles because someone with a clue or that gave a crap, might be able to check and see. 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, reason108 said:

Well, look how long Bruce’s cut of Game sat in the vault. It took 30 years for it to see the light of day.

It was going to be the finale, of the Warner Brother Curse of The Dragon documentary, in 1993, but I dont think WB budget, covered Golden Harvests asking fee.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, reason108 said:

Too bad FS are still holding the reins of these titles because someone with a clue or that gave a crap, might be able to check and see. 

I'm not an expert, so dont quote me on this, but I think there's so much legal red tape. That even if Fortune Star announced, they wanted to put every single outake etc, out there. It would still be nightmare, in terms of legally releasing it the right way. Not to mention, not that profitable either?. Look how Warner Brothers cut the budget for John Little's Warrior Journey, I remember reading about the original ideas for the documentary in IMPACT magazine. With plans for 16mm shot scenes, re-creating some of BL's un-filmed sequences. Most of these segments where dropped, with the exception of a few shot's, such as the one of the team arrving at the pogoda.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

The 1978 G.O.D fight choreographer, action ace, Sammo Hung, with one of the three BL stand in's, Kim Tai-Chung.

KimTaiChung4.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jin said:

I've lost count how many times i've watched the 78 version, a guilty pleasure

What did you think of the pseudo sequel?, Tower of Death(1981).

Kim Tai-Chung posing for a picture with Dan Inosanto, with a member of stunt team, or film crew.

KimTaiChung7.jpg

The above picture, was taken, while filming this fight scene for the Robert Clouse directed version.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 7:42 PM, DragonClaws said:

Kim Tai-Chung posing for a picture with Dan Inosanto, with a member of stunt team, or film crew.

KimTaiChung7.jpg

The above picture, was taken, while filming this fight scene for the Robert Clouse directed version.

Load of crap

Killer Meteor
On 2/20/2019 at 12:00 AM, DragonClaws said:

The 1978 G.O.D fight choreographer, action ace, Sammo Hung, with one of the three BL stand in's, Kim Tai-Chung.

KimTaiChung4.jpg

I like how at 0:44, after spending the whole film avoiding it, they finally give Kim Tae-Chung an honest to god close-up!

• Like 2

On 2/22/2019 at 7:33 AM, jin said:

Load of crap

Short, sweet, and to the point, I like it. Did you not rate any of the fight choreogrpahy?, or skills of the cast, such as Hwang Jang Lee's kicking displays?.

16 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I like how at 0:44, after spending the whole film avoiding it, they finally give Kim Tae-Chung an honest to god close-up!

Well spotted @Killer Meteor, guess they thought, if people have sat this far through the film, there's need to really try and hide the facts, its not BL anymore. Not that they really did a good job of this anyway.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:42 PM, DragonClaws said:

KimTaiChung7.jpg

Loved 78 G.O.D.Not a fan of the mandarin sound effects for the fight scenes though,as for Tower of death,not the best story and some of the sets are a bit cheap but the choreography is superb and I still go to fight scenes on a regular basis.👍👍

• Like 2