The Rare & Lost Kung-Fu Movies Thread

TheFlyingPanda

Question: These films that become rare/obscure and that lack physical releases, is it because of any specific legal issue, or did they just unfortunately get lost in the shuffle and fall through the cracks? I would assume the latter, considering how many hundreds (or thousands) of kung fu movies were produced in the 1970s and how many of them were getting dubbed and distributed internationally. I'm guessing that a few of them would be unlucky and just get forgotten.

• Like 2

Another Cathay (MPGI, here) that I would love to find/watch : The Golden Arrow, with Chen Ho's sister and Wang Yu's wife (or first wife ?) Lin Cui. Shaws' regulars Lo Wei and Tien Ching play in it !

TheGoldenArrow+1963-6-b.jpg

• Like 4

shukocarl1441996347

Tiger Boy '65

The Ming Patriots '75

Tiger & Crane Fists '75

The Opium Trail (Deadly China Doll) '73

Any others you can think of?

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:57 AM, lengkee said:

The big boss 2 (with Lo Lieh) Quentin Tarantino owns a 35mm copy of it

And that dude in South Africa has it too who also has the rare English dubbed version of Showdown at the Cottonmill. 

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Stuff randomly pops up but unless it's a collector with an excellent set up I would not expect Opium Trail to pop up. Was a quickie one off and from what I recall was a single production company.  Probably made as a tax write off. 

• Like 1

I want to see the Kim Jin Pal movies remastered.

Others include…

GREATEST THAI BOXING

7 MEN OF KUNG FTHE GREAT CHASE (Eunuch Chien Ho)

THE MAGNIFICENT

KARATE FEOM SHAOLIN TEMPLE

FIST OF DRAGONS (Lo Lieh)

SCREAMING TIGER

JUDO SHOWDOWN

DAWN OF JUDO

Lets be honest, there are too many to be listed, but those were a few that interest me.

• Like 4

BornToDefense

Don't know if this even qualifies as kung fu or wuxia given of how little info I've found, but looking through old mags and going through filmographies, I found that Li Han-Hsiang directed a film called The Heroine aka Adventures of the 13th Sister, released in 1959 in black & white, starring Betty Loh Tih as the 13th Sister.

I haven't found much mention of it in Li Han-Hsiang, Storyteller (at least not yet, it's a big book), but I'm wondering if it's an early example of a Shaws wuxia before the genre became their staple in the mid 60s.

I haven't found any sign of it being available. The only B&W film of Li's that got restored by Celestial seems to be Rear Entrance. Some torrent sites claim to have it, but it's just a really crappy looking copy of Lucky 13.

Pics from the Nov 1959 issue of Southern Screen, and a page from an essay by Kinnia Yau Shuk-ting which mentions two other Shaws wuxias from this period, from Hong Kong Connections: Transnational Imagination in Action Cinema:

Spoiler

a473868a8aa707ca_b.jpg

32d8ac337df35323_b.jpg

page.png

Edited by BornToDefense
  • Like 5

On 4/7/2018 at 7:01 AM, laagi said:

This looks funky to say the least. I mean the guy in the left corner what the hell is he fighting against :laugh

It is a "Scorpion" of the main villain Chang Yi. Saw the movie in the late 70s. This scorpion is kept in a small wooden chest when the scorpion is in it's real size..... but it can "fly" out, attack and kill a foe instantly or transform into a larger human size for hand to hand combat. The magic ring itself (you can see the ring round it's neck) messed up the scorpion's mind and made it turn against it's master hence the fight. 

• Like 1

I would like to see Cathay, some First(1)Films not all, Goldig and Eternal movies, given the Celestial Shaw Brothers remastering treatment.

• Like 4

osbournecox
On 1/12/2023 at 8:41 AM, Jesse Smooth said:

Others include…

GREATEST THAI BOXING

THE MAGNIFICENT

SCREAMING TIGER

JUDO SHOWDOWN

DAWN OF JUDO

Lets be honest, there are too many to be listed, but those were a few that interest me.

Screaming Tiger.. the one with Wang Yu? if so, there is a german dvd that came out in 2012 - including english audio (i think).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, osbournecox said:

Screaming Tiger.. the one with Wang Yu? if so, there is a german dvd that came out in 2012 - including english audio (i think).

One must be careful with Screaming tiger releases. The one with the green cover (if I remember well) is cut for around 15 mn of running time ! I had to buy the movie twice in order to get the right release, with the longer version and missing scenes.

• Like 1

osbournecox
9 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

One must be careful with Screaming tiger releases. The one with the green cover (if I remember well) is cut for around 15 mn of running time ! I had to buy the movie twice in order to get the right release, with the longer version and missing scenes.

was this a hardbox release?

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 1/11/2023 at 11:41 PM, Jesse Smooth said:

Others include…

GREATEST THAI BOXING

THE MAGNIFICENT

SCREAMING TIGER

JUDO SHOWDOWN

DAWN OF JUDO

So Judo Showdown is on Youtube. No subs and auto translate is terrible. Usually I work on this but after someone saying that someday, someday there might be an official release of some title that the actors themselves would rather forget they were in, I should just stop.  So I stopped.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:41 PM, Jesse Smooth said:

• Like 2

osbournecox
13 hours ago, chonk said:

I think @ShawAngela is referring to some other, non-german release. The german releases are all uncut but don't get the hardboxes. It's a repack of a reissue with 2 other titles, missing the english dub.

https://www.ofdb.de/fassung/3537,347175,Wang-Yu-Stärker-als-tausend-Kamikaze/

exactly, that's why i was asking. this other release:

http://ofdb.mobi/view.php?page=release&id=3537&vid=347175

..has english audio, according to ofdb.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 11:02 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Now to get Cold Blade and Her Vengeance released from Cathay in Wide Screen. 

Cold Blade (1970)

coldblade02b.thumb.png.663786ecd8cf876598677466da02b53b.png

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

NoKUNGFUforYU
7 minutes ago, panku said:

Cold Blade (1970)

coldblade02b.thumb.png.663786ecd8cf876598677466da02b53b.png

Don't be a tease, where did you find this????? I want to see about getting it subbed ASAP!

Edited by NoKUNGFUforYU
add text
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

21 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Don't be a tease, where did you find this????? I want to see about getting it subbed ASAP!

LOL... I saw it in this trailer. Hong Kong Film Archive did a Chor Yuen tribute a few months back. The clip is at 23 seconds and I think there may be a couple of more clips at 2:05 & 2:54:

There is also this trailer where they mention the screen times, but there is only a still image:

Edited by panku
  • Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1