The Rare & Lost Kung-Fu Movies Thread

TheFlyingPanda

On 11/04/2018 at 9:20 PM, shaw golden said:

FROM 1973  "MAN OF NO NERVE" with Shoji Kurata, Tung Li and an appearence in film of Pearl Chung, not sure about the current status of this film .

Capt.PNG

I doubt if this was ever released on video but I saw it on its initial run (released much later in W/Africa 1976/77). It bombed;big flop a disaster at the box office. No one liked it apart from moi :wink Well....you know........okay not every film from HK/Taiwan should be just about about awesome kung fu fights in my opinion so in a nutshell, (perhaps Stallone saw this) it is Rocky-esque. I like the story.The poster artwork is deceitful, amazing designs which didn't help but it is really a drama about a man who due to dire perpetual financial issues, status, poverty, hard luck, almost completely down and out, really destitute - if I recall correctly, having the burden of an ailing mother and promising sister  - who decided that the only way out now maybe apart from regularly selling the blood in his veins for daily survival was to become the punching bag (yes you heard that right) literally, not idiomatically, to Shut Chung Tin the very strong, tough, extremely cocky egotistic reigning boxing champion with a very bad attitude;not as a sparring partner but as a human punching bag. Why? well perhaps to see the effect and damage of his blows. A very poignant scene was after Kang Sha/Tung Li/Alex Tan Lec's first day coming home after "work" to his mother and sister in a terrible state feeding his mum with the food he bought on the way from the first payment/wage per day and the dawning reality on the family that this is the only forseeable means to their daily bread.

It is an emotional film recalling the effect it had on me as a youth. There is a very good pop song in the film about money, the evils of money, which is our hero's inspiring signature tune or theme song the equivalent of "the eye of the tiger"  that was a redeeming factor for me. I use to sing this song all the time in half-baked Mandarin with people going..this guy has lost it. Still singing it my way as we speak, of course no shame.

Anyway I don't quite remember if Yasuaki Kurata was one of the opponents of Shut Chung Tin or just the nasty baddie around or the actual mentor who turned the tables (I honestly cannot remember his role) but to avoid spoilers, if you know you are definitely gonna die making this type of living then why not train yourself, find a promoter, believe in yourself, dare to challenge the reigning champion, chance are...hey you used to be his punching bag! right,you could have an ace up your sleeve.......so you see....your troubles could be over for good one way or the other.......

• Like 5

DragonClaws

Bumping this thread, feel they might be some more titles to talk about now, with some of the simiar content/stuff popping up in other threads recently.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

It seems to me that this thread and the thread Show me the rares are a little bit similar, since finding a treasure is very rare ...:bs_coveredlaugh:

• Like 2

Never heard of Lucky Lucky.

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=5562&display_set=eng

The 'B''B' Baboon Belle. It was released in Thailand. Looks like a Journey to the West type of movie.

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=12893&display_set=eng

Two Great Genii.

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=19741&display_set=eng

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 24/04/2018 at 7:05 PM, ShawAngela said:

It seems to me that this thread and the thread Show me the rares are a little bit similar, since finding a treasure is very rare

Though I guess the term treasures, might just apply to the better rare movies out there?

• Like 3

Seems the topic title was about a list but nobody has made a list yet so....

In random order, ten martial arts movies or treasures from the classic period that would be cool to find:

Tiger Boy

Cold Blade

Uncut Shaolin vs Lama

The Beauty Heroine

The Shadow Chaser

Woman of the Hour

Tragedy at the Songhwa River

Lucky Lucky

The Sharp Fists in Kung Fu

The Left Hand of Death

• Like 5

NoKUNGFUforYU

The Left Hand of Death is going to come out in the next year or so, from 35mm Reels.

I am very close to getting a print of To Kill A Rover. It is turned red, and will need to be filtered, so it will fairly washed out. That being said, it will be preserved. I will be getting about 20 people to kick in $35 to getting it transferred from 16mm to DVD. This is the thing, some of these are out there, ready, but not enough people want to put in the extra $$$ to make sure they are released, but instead spend their money to get the umpteenth release of Young Master, etc. I had a chance with Fabulous Protectress, widescreen with English subs, but the guy wanted $1500 to get the DVD as a group buy. Need 100 people, or 50 at $30. I can guarantee you though, If I bought it and threw it up on youtube, I would get 60,000 views. But only .003333 % want to help acquire it. If I could get $1 from everyone that viewed the Eagles Claw on Youtube I could buy and release all the Cathay movies that are on Betamax in China or Singapore.

• Like 5

NoKUNGFUforYU

Cold Blade is at the Hong Kong Film Archive, remastered on VHS with English Subs. They won't loan VHS, even from what I understand, to other film libraries, only Film reels for showings costing $$$. I don't blame them, it's a non profit, need money somehow to continue. Many of these films rotting away. I will have to take a trip over there and catch a few films and tour the Shaw Brothers Studio before it is destroyed.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
15 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

Seems the topic title was about a list but nobody has made a list yet so....

I'd still struggle to put down a list of ten, even with some of the movies being listed in other topics/threads. Though Black Guide a.k.a Hong Kong Connection and Tragdy at the Songhwa River, would certainly be among my ten choices.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2018 at 11:24 AM, DragonClaws said:

I'd still struggle to put down a list of ten, even with some of the movies being listed in other topics/threads. Though Black Guide a.k.a Hong Kong Connection and Tragdy at the Songhwa River, would certainly be among my ten choices.

Yeah, one could easily make an alternative list that has stuff like The Patriots or The Tiger and the Dragon, which is one of if not Mit Chaibuncha's last appearances on screen before his tragic stunt accident. According to HKMDB, he was replaced with a guy I've never heard of before because of the accident, Luechai Natnat. It makes me wonder if Mit is still in the movie but he must be if HKMDB lists him among the credits. It might still exist somewhere in Thailand. I know one of his other HK movies, Flyer & Magic Sword is out on Thai dvd.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
1 hour ago, HyperDrive said:

Yeah, one could easily make an alternative list that has stuff like The Patriots or The Tiger and the Dragon, which is one of if not Mit Chaibuncha's last appearances on screen before his tragic stunt accident. According to HKMDB, he was replaced with a guy I've never heard of before because of the accident, Luechai Natnat. It makes me wonder if Mit is still in the movie but he must be if HKMDB lists him among the credits. It might still exist somewhere in Thailand. I know one of his other HK movies, Flyer & Magic Sword is out on Thai dvd.

There is a subbed version of Flyer and Magic Sword with English subs in Mandarin by Toby Russell.

• Like 3

TheFlyingPanda

Other Worthy mentions, un-cropped original Language and Theatrical print of Born Invincible would be nice, though We've seen clear cropped prints plenty times. .Cant forget Mystery of Chess Boxing on that top 10 list. 

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 4/29/2018 at 4:40 AM, TheFlyingPanda said:

Other Worthy mentions, un-cropped original Language and Theatrical print of Born Invincible would be nice, though We've seen clear cropped prints plenty times. .Cant forget Mystery of Chess Boxing on that top 10 list. 

Surprised this hasnt had some sort of official release, before pirating killed of the majority of these films getting put out.

BornInvincible.jpeg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

TheFlyingPanda
10 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Surprised this hasnt had some sort of official release, before pirating killed of the majority of these films getting put out.

Right!? Especially now, this one is a big deal for many MA Movie fans. I wonder if Portland Kung Fu Theater owner and collector Dan Halsted has a print? 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
On 4/28/2018 at 11:40 PM, TheFlyingPanda said:

Cant forget Mystery of Chess Boxing on that top 10 list. 

I'm not a big rares guy but I'd love a decent original language print of this one. It's a favourite of mine but the versions available are all pretty shoddy.

• Like 3

On 2/12/2018 at 10:50 PM, TheFlyingPanda said:

That's ultra-rare, wow. Yea there is no point  if the world cant see it. Maybe some people make claims but really don't have it?  I happen to collect vintage photography and film cameras and I've picked up some gems from estate cleanups. Sharing is caring, I buy allot of BD, and DVD's and triad with a good friend and his collection of horror films.  Another childhood friend of mine cant really afford to build the collections some of us have, for his birthday I mailed over a dozen MA films on DVD he most likely couldn't get his hands on... unless he goes on you-tube or something. These films need to see the light of day. 

i know who your refering to and he has it for sure. 

• Like 4

On 3/10/2018 at 2:35 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Yes. Tough to find a decent copy of it and Action Tae Kwon Do, the sequel. I have old vhs transfers, like everyone else. It seems that the movies being restored are from Taiwan not HK.

they are both on vcd

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
On 5/9/2018 at 6:18 PM, DragonClaws said:

BornInvincible.jpeg

Laserdisc era widescreen masters exist for the majority of the Hong Hwa films...this one being a noticeable exception.

• Like 3

ShawAngela
8 hours ago, monk said:

they are both on vcd

I got Action Tae Kwon Do on vcd, but I never saw The crush on vcd. It would be great to find it, even if I have the excellent version of Jamal...

• Like 3