Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum - South Korean Horror Movie (2018)

whitesnake

Well Go USA has picked up North American distribution rights to the new South Korean horror movie, Gonjiam, from South Korean director Jung Bum-Sik, about a real place said to be haunted - the Gonjiam Psychiatric Hospital.  "According to local legends, Gonjiam Psychiatric Hospital was suddenly closed down in the 1990s following a series of mysterious patient deaths. Now, an internet broadcaster has decided to film a show called "Horror Times" at the place. He recruits people who will explore the haunted asylum while streaming it live. It doesn't take long for the tortured souls lurking in the dark to appear and start showing them the reason why the place is one of Korea's most haunted locations."  The cast includes Wi Ha-Joon (Coin Locker Girl), Park Sung-Hoon (Jeon Woo-chi: The Taoist Wizard), Lee Seung-Wook, Oh Ah-Yeon, and Park Ji-Hyun (The Chase).  Korean release date is in March 2018.  News from Cityonfire.com

In 2018 CNN chose Gonjiam as one of the seven freakiest places in the world.  In reality, the hospital did not close because of any mysterious patient deaths.  "Gonjiam was forced to close mainly due to economic downturns, unsanitary conditions and problems with the sewage disposal system, not due to insane doctors or murderous patients. As the sewage problem grew, the owner left the country and did not leave documentation behind about the land or the buildings on it. Eventually the hospital just closed its doors and it has been abandoned ever since."  Source - https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/gonjiam-psychiatric-hospital  

Update - Gonjiam Haunted Asylum gets a limited theatrical release on April 13, 2018 - only two theaters in L.A. so far.

Gonjiam Trailer (I thought the scariest part was the creaking door) -

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

whitesnake

Well Go USA will release Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum on Blu-ray and DVD in North America on September 18, 2018.  News from cityonfire.com

• Like 2

I wanted to get spooked tonight so I turned off a the lights and watched Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018)

This a found footage very similar to the American film, Grave Encounters. Basically, a group of young ghost hunters explore an abandoned asylum in the attempt to get a bunch of online views. It’s a very simple premise and it rarely strays far from its simplicity. But good god, this film is effective. I’m not easily scared and this one definitely delivered some scary moments. In fact, one scene is one of the most tense scenes I’ve seen in a long, long time. Unfortunately, said scene has a weak payoff. But everything leading up to it is good.

What makes this film so good is that it’s a slow build. You get to spend time with the characters before shit hits the fan. It’s also incredibly well acted. It elevates things beyond your “typical” found footage flick. Personally, I would have liked a few more details on the lore of the asylum but the film isn’t about that. It’s about the scares. And in that realm is succeeds massively.

• Like 2