Kung Fu Sound F/X you grew up loving and now hate?

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Hi guys, I'm back!!!! So just last night I was watching Shaolin Temple an all star cast you will and during the fight scenes something dawn on me. I got annoyed by the sound f/x, especially when they are sword dueling. You know the sound, sounds like wind chimes or a cat having an orgy. Maybe I'm a bitter old man but with that being said. What are some sound f/x you grew up loving but now kinda hate cause you're a bitter old man?

• Like 2

CoolBlackKnight

I've always hated that excessive smokey & mystical "appear suddenly" from thin air sound effect(that boing sound) in those spiritual-types of MA films... Which, outside of a few joints with exceptional choreographed fight moves/sequences(like say, in Legendary Weapons Of China), I can't stand.

...Almost makes me turn them off the moment I hear it(unless I'm captivated by the action contained therein).

• Like 2

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, CoolBlackKnight said:

...Almost makes me turn them off the moment I hear it(unless I'm captivated by the action contained therein).

You get the same sound FX used in almost all Ninja movies from the 1980's. One minute someones surrounded by a gang, the next therir gone in a puff of coloured smoke.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 2/24/2018 at 1:35 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Hi guys, I'm back!!!! So just last night I was watching Shaolin Temple an all star cast you will and during the fight scenes something dawn on me. I got annoyed by the sound f/x, especially when they are sword dueling. You know the sound, sounds like wind chimes or a cat having an orgy. Maybe I'm a bitter old man but with that being said. What are some sound f/x you grew up loving but now kinda hate cause you're a bitter old man?

I don't have anything against cat orgies, however depending on the quality of the movie itself, I do find the various blips and bloops that Godfrey Ho and co. used to add to the various Korean kung-fu movies they distributed to be pretty irritating.

Case in point - 

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

I love the sound of a rustling bed sheet blowing on a clothesline that was used whenever a super-jump was performed. That never gets old to me, and I start getting tickled when there are multiple ones because various characters are jumping all over the place.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
39 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I love the sound of a rustling bed sheet blowing on a clothesline that was used whenever a super-jump was performed. That never gets old to me, and I start getting tickled when there are multiple ones because various characters are jumping all over the place.

Damn you @ShaOW!linDude!

What I want to be enjoying while I'm watching a Jimmy Wang Yu movie - 

MANFROMHONGKONGSTILLWS6.jpg

What I'll actually be thinking about - 

bed-sheets.jpg.838x0_q67_crop-smart.jpg

• Like 6

Those sound affect did add a mystique to the movie/character/style, especially if you did watch them on the big screen back then.

I remember back then (70's) we use to imitate the sounds/styles and each style had it own sound.

• Like 2

Omni Dragon

Personally it's just apart of the atmosphere of old-school kung fu and probably adds to my enjoyment for the most part.

Never really felt the high pitch Bruce Lee war cries where necessary though. 

On 3/10/2018 at 4:07 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

While I usually find the "super-jumps" annoying to watch. Now that you mention it there's certainly something satisfying about the way they sound. 

• Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 3/9/2018 at 4:33 PM, CoolBlackKnight said:

I've always hated that excessive smokey & mystical "appear suddenly" from thin air sound effect(that boing sound) in those spiritual-types of MA films... Which, outside of a few joints with exceptional choreographed fight moves/sequences(like say, in Legendary Weapons Of China), I can't stand.

Looks like you're describing Born Invincible??? The sound f/x kills me every-time. It's a laugh riot.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

When I think of Godfrey Ho, I immediately think of that one member who I forgot his name? Godfreyho fan or something?

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

When I think of Godfrey Ho, I immediately think of that one member who I forgot his name? Godfreyho fan or something?

GodfredyHoWorshipper, at at least that was the guy's name when I started posting here.

• Like 2

The sound would have to be that "chooka-chooka-chow" that was heard every time David Chiang showed up in 7 Blows of the Dragon.  I liked it then, but now, with an unedited, uncut Shaw Brothers Mandarin-language Water Margin, which has nary a "chooka-chooka-chow", I don't miss the sound at all.   

Drunken Monk

This might be blasphemy but I hate the "doing-doing-doing" of Chinese opera music. You know when Sammo Hung is having the opera-style fight in "Warriors Two"? It grates on my nerves so much.

• Like 1

I think I find the amount of laughing can be a bit irritating.

It's even worst on the Chinese soundtracks.

This might be a little off topic, as it's not in many if any KF movies, but as a kid I use to find The Wilhelm scream irritating and distracting, though now a days I think it's kind of funny. This might be because I take movies as a whole less seriously these days. 

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
On 3/18/2018 at 2:54 PM, DragonClaws said:

GodfredyHoWorshipper, at at least that was the guy's name when I started posting here.

LMAO @ the name  GodfreyHoworshipper..  !! brilliant. 

• Like 2