What's your favourite shape from the 1970s or 1980s directed by Yuen Woo-Ping? (Poll).

Omni Dragon

What's your favourite shape from the 1970s or 1980s directed by Yuen Woo-Ping?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite shape from the 1970s or 1980s directed by Yuen Woo-Ping?

• Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978)
    • Drunken Master (1978)
    • Dance of the Drunk Mantis (Drunken Master Part 2) (1979)
    • The Magnificent Butcher (1979)
    • The Buddhist Fist (1980)
    • Dreadnaught (1981)
    • Legend of a Fighter (1982)
    • The Miracle Fighters (1982)
    • Shaolin Drunkard (1983)
    • Drunken Tai Chi (1984)
    • The Close Encounter of the Vampire (1986)

What's your favourite shape from the 1970s or 1980s directed by Yuen Woo-Ping?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far too hard to choose one, but I picked the Sammo Hung movie Magnificent Butcher, in the end. Though maybe I should have really gone for Legend Of a Fighter, or maybe Dreadnaught?.

7 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

The Magnificent Butcher features my favourite fight scene of all time so I have to go with that.

Would that be the fan fight with Lam Ching Ying? or the finale, or the fight with Crazy Cat, the list goes on and on. Even the calligraphy duel between Kwak Tak Hing's Master and Lee Hoi San's Master Ko, is great.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:58 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Eeeh.... choreo job or movie as a whole? "Shape" is a bit vague.

I was thinking along the lines of "movie as a whole".

On 2/17/2018 at 2:56 AM, Ah_Tao said:

I have no clue how to answer this... too many to choose from!

On 2/17/2018 at 12:58 PM, DragonClaws said:

Far too hard to choose one, but I picked the Sammo Hung movie Magnificent Butcher, in the end. Though maybe I should have really gone for Legend Of a Fighter, or maybe Dreadnaught?.

I'm not too sure what to vote for myself. Yuen Woo-Ping and the rest of the Yuen Clan had a really good out put in that era. I personally might go as far as to say the Yuen Clan might possibly be on par with Lau Brothers though both groups styles are distinctively different. 

On 2/17/2018 at 8:13 AM, DragonClaws said:

Would that be the fan fight with Lam Ching Ying? or the finale, or the fight with Crazy Cat, the list goes on and on. Even the calligraphy duel between Kwak Tak Hing's Master and Lee Hoi San's Master Ko, is great.

The fan fight. I believe it’s the single most perfect fight scene every choreographed.

Legend of a Fighter (1982)
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978)
The Magnificent Butcher (1979)
Dreadnaught (1981)

All tied for number 1, I can't say I like one more than the other, but I voted for Legend of a Fighter, because I rewatch it the most.

I'd choose Magnificent Butcher for best choreography. All of the fight scenes in that movie are pretty unbelievable, but the fight between Yuen Biao and Lam Ching Ying is probably my favorite. For best movie, I'd choose Drunken Master.

Legend of a fighter,no wait magnificent butcher,no sorry legend of a fighter oh shit I don’t know all of them.👍👍👍👍

I choose legend of a fighter because I think I have watched this more than the others and its more of an enjoyable watch,but I do think magnificent butcher has better fight choreography.👍

I had no idea "Legend of a Fighter" was so universally loved as far as Woo Ping films go. I mean, I know it's a good film and that, as fans, we're bound to like it. But I'm surprised so many people think it's his best. I may need to revisit it.

ShaOW!linDude

I'm opting for The Buddhist Fist. That movie has some insane shapes in it. Astounds me every time I see it. Still, those are some hard movies to choose from.

Yeah Imma go with Legend of a Fighter... one of my favorite movies of all time and all in all, all fight scenes were good (except the one with the boxer imo). The opening fight with Philip Ko (may he rest easy), Yasuaki Kurata's departure fight, Huo Fist v. Snake Fist, Yuanjia v. Sanaka, final fight... you name it, they were awesome. Legend of a Fighter has got to be one of my favorite films that I own, and it MOST DEFINITELY DESERVES AN HD REMASTER. As I always get off topic, I would like to ask anyone if they know if the fencing scene with Yuanjia and the European is a deleted scene. 

While I’ve had my say in this thread, I will say that “Shaolin Drunkard” and “Miracle Fighters” get a LOT of love from me. I love those goofy, weird Yuen Clan films (big fan of Taoism Drunkard too).

In fact, I’m genuinely pissed that I don’t own “Miracle Fighters” on DVD. I only have a VHS copy and that’s back in the UK.

I chose Drunken Master, which was my first Yuen Woo-Ping and one that wows me every time I revisit it. As good as Magnificent Butcher was, especially the Yuen Biao/Lam Ching-Ying fight, I thought it took too long for Sammo to really let loose, and the training sequences were pretty generic, compared to those of DM.

Archived