What Are You Gonna Do, Sai Fung? (1999)

DragonClaws

'Yes, there have been quite a few who have flown all the way from Japan to watch my theatre productions,' he says. These supporters go back a long way, he says, to a time when What Are You Gonna Do, Sai Fung? was first released, in 1999. Au starred in - as well as wrote, directed and produced - the hour-long film about Bruce Lee.

The film has a big following in Japan and Au - a kung fu aficionado who wrote for the now-defunct New Martial Hero Magazine before joining ATV in the late 1980s - has reworked the film for a DVD re-release there later this month.

Personally never heard about the above film, or was it a documentary?. Can anyone here shed any more light on this production?. Did it get a Western release, under a new title?.The above excert came from this short article on actor Stephen Au Kam-tong.

Link- http://www.scmp.com/article/688665/stephen-au-kam-tong

7a3826cc9097138879783243153088bc--bruce-

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

There's an interesting article over at the hk filmcritics site, which compares this flick against 'Bruce Lee, My Brother', as both movies cover Lee's teenage life (the one the Bruce Lee Estate can't claim to know anymore about than the rest of us).  Here's the link -

http://www.filmcritics.org.hk/film-review/node/2017/08/04/teenage-kicks

• Like 2

TheFlyingPanda

I've heard of this film and even saw a trailer a while back. A friend of mine (and super Bruce lee fan) talked about it, while we discussed Bruce Lee documentaries. 

here is a trailer link 

What You Gonna Do Sai Fung.jpg

Edited by TheFlyingPanda
added trailer
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

There's an interesting article over at the hk filmcritics site, which compares this flick against 'Bruce Lee, My Brother', as both movies cover Lee's teenage life (the one the Bruce Lee Estate can't claim to know anymore about than the rest of us).  Here's the link -

http://www.filmcritics.org.hk/film-review/node/2017/08/04/teenage-kicks

Thanks for the link, I wonder if this was the first movie to feature Yip Man, played by an actor?.

31 minutes ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

I've heard of this film and even saw a trailer a while back. A friend of mine (and super Bruce lee fan) talked about it, while we discussed Bruce Lee documentaries. 

Looks low budget, I half expected Dr Z to appear in the above preview. Judging by the trailer, I guess it was made for HK/Asian T.V?.

• Like 3

TheFlyingPanda
8 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Looks low budget, I half expected Dr Z to appear in the above preview. Judging by the trailer, I guess it was made for HK/Asian T.V?.

I thought "low budget TV" too ha ha, that's partly why I haven't got around to watching it, plus there is no English translation or subtitles for it and though I understand some Cantonese and Japanese, it's hard not to get a bit lost in translation. 

• Like 3

On 2/5/2018 at 7:55 AM, TheFlyingPanda said:

I thought "low budget TV" too ha ha, that's partly why I haven't got around to watching it, plus there is no English translation or subtitles for it and though I understand some Cantonese and Japanese, it's hard not to get a bit lost in translatio

It might not be approved by the Estate?, which could hold back the Western release.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

An up-scaled Director's Cut of this bio-movie will be screened in the U.K later this year.

riseofthedragon.png

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1