What are your favourite martial arts films from 1985 - 1999?

wasilewski

Hello there, 

I just joined up to the forum and thought that it would be nice to get some recommendations on new films for me to check out.  For me, the period of the late 80s to late 90s is my favourite so, what are your favourites in that time frame?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@wasilewski, welcome to the forums.

You might find these threads interesting:

They cover people's favourite martial arts movies from the time period you're asking about.

As for my own opinion I'm not too sure and I'd need to see more from the 1990s but at the moment I think this:

1985 Heart of Dragon or Police Story

1986 Righting Wrongs aka Above the Law

1987 Eastern Condors

1988 Dragons Forever

1989 Pedicab Driver

1990 Outlaw Brothers

1991 Once Upon a Time In China  or Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky

1992 Police Story III aka Super Cop

1993 Iron Monkey

I'm not too sure about 1994 at this time.

1995 Rumble in the Bronx or High Risk

1996 First Strike

1997 maybe Mr Nice Guy

1998 maybe Who Am I?  

1999 The Matrix

Thanks, @Silver and Gold Dragon, lots of good suggestions and plenty I haven't seen.

I see you mentioned Police Story III - that's my favourite Jackie Chan film and the one that introduced me to his work.  I remember renting it out on VHS in 1993 when I was around 13 - good days!  The action scenes were the most amazing that I had ever seen.  

Hopefully I'm not reviving old thread too much but I was wondering whether it could have been a good idea to give unlimited votes in those polls?

If you like the movie you vote for it, otherwise you don't (yes you could theoretically vote for every movie but we're all acting in good faith here!)

I see those kind of polls on reddit sometimes and they're pretty successful.

Because choosing only 1 movie can be good on down years, but choosing only 1 movie in epic years with like 6 epic titles isn't very representative of the movies' quality from that year!

Anyway, some excellent suggestions in there, those polls should almost be stickied! Great quick look at the best martial art movies from each year, and what other members think of them. 

Omni Dragon
On 2/4/2018 at 9:29 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

1991 Once Upon a Time In China  or Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky

I wished I had mentioned THE GAMBLING GHOST as well. Though I'd have to watch all 3 again to decide which is my favourite from 1991? 

I would have to say these with my list:

1985 Police StoryNo Retreat No Surrender and Yes Madam!

1986 Above the Law (Yuen Biao) and Armour of God

1987 Bloodsport, No Retreat No Surrender II and Eastern Condors

1988 Police Story Part II, Dragons Forever and Dragon Fight

1989 Kickboxer, No Retreat No Surrender III, Best of the Best, Miracles and In the Line of Duty IV

1990 Tiger Cage II, The King of the Kickboxers, The Dragon from Russia and Skinny Tiger and Fatty Dragon

1991 Once Upon a Time In China, American Shaolin, China O'Brien, Ring of Fire, Operation Condor: Armour of God II, and Crystal Hunt

1992 Police Story III: Super Cop, Cheetah on Fire, China O'Brien II, Once Upon a Time in China II, and Mission of Justice

1993 Iron Monkey, Butterfly and Sword, Kick Boxer (Yuen Biao), Hard Target, To Be the Best, Blade of Fury, Showdown, and Best of the Best II

1994 Drunken Master II, Guyver 2: Dark Hero, Fist of Legend, New Legend of Shaolin, and Wing Chun

1995 My Father is a Hero and High Risk

1996 Hawk's Vengeance, Balance of Power, and White Tiger

1997 Bloodmoon, Hero, Drive, The Death Games, and Legend of the Wolf

1998 Who Am I?

1999 City of Darkness, The Matrix, and Cold Harvest

Still much too early for me to do a list such as this one. Currently catching up

I think our tastes align pretty well Albert, based on the movies I've seen. Can't wait to watch more of the movies in your list!

Archived