Shaolin VS Lama: Special Edition with 2K transfer?

teako170

Always enjoy a good LSN flick! :D

Scanned this two-pager from Cinemart 164 (1983).

There's also a B/W article but I liked this color one.

ShaolinLama1.jpg

ShaolinLama2.jpg

• Like 1

Nice contribution considering the forum feels a bit dry lately! It feels like the kung fu scene just isn't going forward, except with Shaw Brothers. There was a time when nobody knew anything about Shaws, nobody spoke about them, and there were never any articles in magazines like Impact. Now, people have more wisdom with Shaws. There is many great sites with extensive poster galleries and such. The same can not be said when it comes to Classic Kung Fu Films by independent companies. And I feel Youtube is downgrading the scene even more. Anyway, you cannot beat high quality stills! Thanks mate. You know, since Ebay became ever popular, I thought more and more people would have started contributing materials. Again, it's happening with Shaws, just not with independent productions.

• Like 1

Nice contribution considering the forum feels a bit dry lately!

Glad you like. Just trying to do my bit by posting some pix to keep things interesting.

I got a nice 2-parter for Shaolin Temple Strikes Back. I'll upload that bad boy tomorrow.

• Like 1

I posted this in the Shaw Image Gallery last week. Re-posted the blurbs at the bottom...

Here's an ad (front and back) for the Shaw distributed SHAOLIN VS LAMA...

69721740gl4.jpg

By venoms5 at 2008-04-19

84509726kd3.jpg

By venoms5 at 2008-04-19

CHANG SHAN

26 years old. He is an overseas Chinese from Korea. Since his boyhood, he learned and practiced 'Tai' boxing for years. He is grade 6 'Tai' Boxing expert. He represented the Republic of Korea to participate in the contests for many times. He returned to Taiwan as a famous expert in boxing.

LO JUI

24 years old. Born in Taiwan, R.O.C. At age of six, he learned from boxing tutor the Southern Shao Ling active course and unique feat of 'Five Fowl War'. When he was 16 years old, he learned 'Tai' boxing and he is ranked as Grade 5 'Tai' boxer. And he represented his country to participate in the tournaments in Japan and Korea.

LI WEI-YUN

20 years old. At age of ten, she began to learn the Chinese Boxing from a famous tutor. She devoted herself to the practice of boxing without interruption. She is specialized in the swordsmanship of the Plum Flower Sect. Her attack with her legs is excellent feat. She is considered as a rare woman boxer nowadays.

WILLIAM YEN

Learned Shaolin Kung Fu at the age of 5. Specialized in somersaulting, jumping and "Plum Fighting" skills. He can perform somersaults ten times without his hands touching the ground and jump 50 times without stopping. This is the first time he enters the movie circle.

SUN YUNG CHI

36 years old. He has learned and practiced the boxing and active course for thirty years. He opened private Chinese gymnasium institutions across the Island for teaching his disciples. He is familiar with the boxing style in the Southern China, Eagle Claw work, and Mantis Boxing as a rare expert in the boxers circle.

GEORGE CHANG

Learned Kung Fu from the age of 7, now an expert in all forms of Northern Kung Fu. He has taught more than 200 students in Kung Fu in Northern Chinese somersault and jumping skills.

HO HSING NAN

He is a kung fu fanatic who has practiced Karate since childhood. He has participated in more than 30 Kung Fu contests all over the world, including France, Central and South America and has won many gold medals. This is the first time he has played in a movie.

ROBERT YANG

He practiced Tibetan Lama (Buddhist) Kung Fu. He starts his practice by throwing a weight of 15 kilograms, then adding five more kilograms for every two months until 85 kilograms. Then, he began to practice Lama pugilism and is keen in "Iron Skin Practice" he is famous for his outer strength Kung Fu.

• Like 1

Great pix, many thanks!

Is there a widescreen version / original language available.

My UK dvd is ok quality but fullscreen dubbed. Very underated film in my opinion.

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir

The old monk who goes to fight Chang Shan at the end, I think that's the same guy from SHaolin vs Ninja, Chang Chi Ping. The monk who teaches Lo Rei the Buddha Finger, I'm pretty sure that's Peng Kong.

• Like 1

kungfusamurai

Nice pics! I think one of them is kind of funny: the one where Chang Shan and Lo Rei are training side by side in shaolin monk gear. It must have been photographed before they figured out the part of the movie where Shan was an ex-Shaolin Monk (a Lama infiltrator?) long before Lo Rei even joined the temple.

KFS

• Like 1

I have two different tapes. One is from Anthony Cordoza Enterprises and it's the best print of the film I've seen only it's fullscreen. Another which seems to be the same print on a double feature with SHAOLIN TEMPLE AGAINST LAMA and both of these are fullscreen. I also have a dvd of SHAOLIN VS LAMA (not the GZ one) that is also fullscreen but the picture quality is not nearly as good as the Anthony Cordoza Enterprises tape and this version also has more information on screen than the DVD. I haven't seen the GZ dvd.

• Like 1

The old monk who goes to fight Chang Shan at the end, I think that's the same guy from SHaolin vs Ninja, Chang Chi Ping. The monk who teaches Lo Rei the Buddha Finger, I'm pretty sure that's Peng Kong.

Ok, I just renting this from Netflix and there seem to be some differences (I think). I see Alexander Lo Rei in here but the version I got was so crappy that it made the movie almost unwatchable. Wrong aspect, shaky parts, the whole nine yards. It seems to come from a distribution company called Black Belt. Anyways, could only get to the part where Lo Rei is released from the Shaolin Temple with some of his Lama compatriots and some Shaolin monks when some hired assassins take out some of the monks. from that point on, the DVD I had was just a mess. I have to say that what I did see featured some intense undercranking, colorful costumes, and some cool locations and interesting fighting (with a lot of wire-assisted takedowns). Is this the right movie? It says directed by William Chang...??

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems interesting. Lots of fighting and pretty solid at that, too. But it's labeled Shaolin Against Lama, which confused me a bit. One of the bad guys has a foam skull on his head, which just made me laugh. Pretty interesting.

• Like 1