The Twin Swords (1965)

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

This film is great. I've been waiting a long time for an IVL quality version to be released. I don't think your gonna be disappointed Markgway. But... we'll see. :b

Guest Ching li

now since twin swords is perceived as the sequel for temple of the red lotus, i would like to know what came first, on just about all the sites have this title released in the year 1964, but temple of the red lotus was released in 1965, so is there a mistake there or what?

Guest Markgway

Question:

Who played the following parts?

1. Chu's Grandmother (the eldest family member)

2. Chia Chi, Chu's brother

3. Kan Hsing (not exactly sure how he relates within the family).

The only unmatched actor name I have is: Chao Ming.

Thx.

Guest HwangDi

sorry to be a little ignorant, what's the third part of this series called?

They sound good I'd like to buy and watch all 3.

Guest Isfahani

YEah I was thinking the same thing the other night.

I'll have to watch them all in a row to see if my opinion of 'best out of three' for this one will change, it could be just that this one is fresh in the mind, and so...

However, one thing is for sure: I never ever need to see Wang Yu fake the crying and emoting again. Truly a stretch of his acting skills in any film of this era IMO.

Killer Meteor

I enjoyed this one. Very rich in detail and atmosphere. Hearing an actual Chinese-style score instead of the later practice of using Western music helps a lot.

Wang Yu's acting is quite good too. It's weird in retrospect seeing him so lively.

I just took a look to the synopsis mentioned on the back cover of this dvd and saw that Chi Ping plays heroine Kan Lien Chu.

So, it makes me wondering if it's the same Kan Lien Chu as in the movie Heroine Kan Lien Chu with Chia Ling.

If so, i watched both movies years ago and never realized that they wee related to the same story...

It seems that it's time for me to rewatch both of them !!

• Like 3

Chemical Lemon

The Temple of the Red Lotus, The Twin Swords, and The Sword and the Lute are all parts of the same story (same actors/characters/director).  I thought I remember someone saying once there was a 4th movie in the series, but that might just be my bad memory.  They may be based on a book "The Tale of the Extraordinary Swordsman", which is what an older series of Silent movies called The Burning of the Red Lotus temple are based on (I've never seen them, I don't think, but possibly saw one episode in NYC 10 or so years ago).  So I wouldn't be surprised if there are several movies that seem unrelated that may be based on a short section of the same story.

• Like 4

Iron_Leopard

I just got done watching this and I was blown away. I was glued to the screen for every second of this movie. This is credited as only the second martial arts film made at Shaw Brothers and I think it's better than 95% of their entire discography. 

This movie also confirmed what I've known for a least a year but  could never admit it..Chin Ping is my favorite Shaw actress. I've officially committed to this decision lol.

Also who was the little girl who played Xiaoling? Did she go on to do more stuff at the studio? She stole this movie.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
20 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Also who was the little girl who played Xiaoling? Did she go on to do more stuff at the studio? She stole this movie.

Do you mean Petrina Fung Bo Bo? Cuz I hope you know who she is. But if not, one of the biggest child stars in HK and daughter of Fung Fung, sister of Fung Hak On.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 2