Enter The Dojo: Your favourite Martial Arts School Fights?

DragonClaws

DragonClaws

This is one dust-up thats going on my favorite dojo fight's list. Hats of to all three actors and the crew beihnd the scenes.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Recently watched Martial Law 2: Undercover and there's a dojo fight scene pitting Jeff Wincott against James Lew, Leo Lee, and Koichi Sakamoto. (Just like the dvd I watched, it's in Italian.)

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 4/7/2019 at 1:25 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Recently watched Martial Law 2: Undercover and there's a dojo fight scene pitting Jeff Wincott against James Lew, Leo Lee, and Koichi Sakamoto. (Just like the dvd I watched, it's in Italian.)

So long since I watched the Martial Law films, I couldnt recall anything about this one until viewing the video clip.

Would you say this scene, and the dojo sequence in Mission For Justice. Are the best U.S Martial Arts school set, fight sequences?.

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

So long since I watched the Martial Law films, I couldnt recall anything about this one until viewing the video clip.

Would you say this scene, and the dojo sequence in Mission For Justice. Are the best U.S Martial Arts school set, fight sequences?.

I'd say, to me, the escrima stick gauntlet in Mission of Justice and the one in The Bounty Tracker (starring Lorenzo Lamas) certainly ranks as a couple of the best US martial art movie fights sequences set in a dojo.

The one in Martial Law 2: Undercover is good but doesn't really hit me with that "Wow" factor.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

Fist of Fury, Lady Kung Fu, Five Fingers of Death, Chinese Professionals, Hammer of God and for different reasons at different times. Fist of Fury/Chinese Connection I've seen so many times (50,60?) I just can't anymore, but the rest still entertain me. One this is that you have to have all the factors to pull off a one man VS an army of students, at least for me. That is probably why I could not even think of any of the independents, (Chiu Chao Guy has a pretty hilarious brawl, which turns out to be one school of bullies trashing the other school of bullies, and it's just sort of manic, WTF? kind of scene). Certainly there are some small movies, like Triangular Duel, loosely based on Chinese Reformers like Tang Hao who brought back modern Japanese arts to strengthen the locals (look him up!).

Now Hapkido has a high school level, where as Chinese Professionals is tongue in cheek, and Hammer of God has a sort of freshness that you can tell it was an original at the time. I mean Lo Lieh and Wang Yu look like the kids fighting in front of the grindhouse (and I still believe all those "fights" that Wang Yu supposedly "won" were because his "opponents" knew dozens of guys would show up with watermelon knives the next day, not unlike Frank Sinatra's tough guy rep in the USA, who also had the mob here behind him) but it all works well. And Lo steals the show in Chinese Professionals in a brief scene that sort of humanizes him. Somehow he got screwed in Japan, and this is his last chance at success, so he's a bit of a lost soul. But he's still a prick, but a little more human. 

Five Fingers of Death is interesting. It did not do that well in Hong Kong, but I see it as the right choice. Chang Cheh's homoerotic hero dies in the end stuff would be a little tough first time out, where as Lo Lieh's Chen Chi Hao is Audie Murphy, a western style hero, almost seduced by the local songstress before laying waste to the bad guys, and he whips up a samurai to boot! Before this, Samurai were the quintessential symbol of Asian martial arts in the west. Not only did he win, but he displaced the Samurai, tapping into the unconscious, and not so unconscious post WWII resentment for Pearl Harbor, etc. I'm not saying it was right, but it worked. 

Anyway, on a modern level I would say Jet Li's fight against the cops training in Kiss of The Dragon was pretty awesome. 

Anyway, just my two cents, for what it's worth.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

The end fight of Chinese Connection 2 is set in a dojo.

And Die Fighting has a pretty good dojo fight scene in it.

The dojo fight in Best of the Best 4 shows up about the 3:25 mark. Philip Rhee is fantastic here.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
14 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Fist of Fury, Lady Kung Fu, Five Fingers of Death, Chinese Professionals, Hammer of God and for different reasons at different times. Fist of Fury/Chinese Connection I've seen so many times (50,60?) I just can't anymore, but the rest still entertain me. One this is that you have to have all the factors to pull off a one man VS an army of students, at least for me. That is probably why I could not even think of any of the independents, (Chiu Chao Guy has a pretty hilarious brawl, which turns out to be one school of bullies trashing the other school of bullies, and it's just sort of manic, WTF? kind of scene). Certainly there are some small movies, like Triangular Duel, loosely based on Chinese Reformers like Tang Hao who brought back modern Japanese arts to strengthen the locals (look him up!).

Great post @NoKUNGFUforYU, nice to hear your thoughts on this thread subject. Agree with a lot of what you said, especially in regards to the Kiss of The Dragon fight.

14 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

not unlike Frank Sinatra's tough guy rep in the USA, who also had the mob here behind him) but it all works well.

Off topic, they also helped out with his movie career, when he past his prime. The stroy in The Godfather, with the horse head was based on a stroy related to Sinatra. They changed the actors name in th film, to evade any legal problems, or annoying the wrong kind of people. A big indication of the man's character, was when actor Brad Dextor saved Sinartra and Ruth Koch,  from drowning, during the production of None But The Brave(1964). The pair had got swept out to see, and Brad Dexter swam out to save the the, after seeing them get puled out by the tides. Old blue-eyes didnt say a word to him during the rest of the production, not even a thank you. Dexter received a Red Cross for his bravery. My Dad been a big Western fan, read Dexter's biography which mentions the incident. Sure there's multiple versions of the story though.

7 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Thanks for adding those, great suggestions @ShaOW!linDude

The end fight of Chinese Connection 2 is set in a dojo.

I posted a video of this scene, earlier in the thread.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

I hadn't even heard of this film. That was a really fun fight for something so low budget. How does the rest of the film hold up?

ShaOW!linDude
2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I hadn't even heard of this film. That was a really fun fight for something so low budget. How does the rest of the film hold up?

The plot and acting certainly aren't the best, but that fight scene is typical of the energy and choreography the movie contains. This a film featuring members of Z Team, a French indie stunt group like the Stunt People or Martial Club. It's definitely a low budget indie film, and it is fight heavy, but the choreography never gets boring. I think you'd dig it, and you should be able to find it pretty cheap.

One of the main characters is Laurent Buson, who played the villain's brother in Merantau and participates in that film's 2-on-1 finale. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

The plot and acting certainly aren't the best, but that fight scene is typical of the energy and choreography the movie contains. This a film featuring members of Z Team, a French indie stunt group like the Stunt People or Martial Club. It's definitely a low budget indie film, and it is fight heavy, but the choreography never gets boring. I think you'd dig it, and you should be able to find it pretty cheap.

One of the main characters is Laurent Buson, who played the villain's brother in Merantau and participates in that film's 2-on-1 finale. 

The story is quite interesting I thought with a shocking twist, but the fights are the stars of the film. Excellent work from Fabien Garcia, the Buson brothers, and company. Laurent works these days as a producer and visual effects artist on web series, including Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope (he also was fight choreographer) and Captain Fitastic (a superhero show with Tim Storms in the titular role)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Always thought Wang Yu's fight against the karate students in The Man from Hong Kong was pretty good for it's time.

• Like 2

Here's one of my all time favourite dojo/school bust up's, featuring Donnie Yen as Ip Man. In a fight scene lifted from the third installment in the franchise.

• Like 2