Enter The Dojo: Your favourite Martial Arts School Fights?

DragonClaws

Enter The Dojo: Your favourite Martial Arts School Fights?

"Crazy cat, tear down their sign" - Master Ko(Lee Hoi San) Magnificent Butcher

They feature heavily in old school movies, but can still be found in contemporary Martial Arts cinema too. The dojo fight, Kung Fu school brawls, one on one challenges, or school against school. There's a variety of them, what are some of your favourite dojo based fight’s?. It's not just about the classic showdowns like the one in Fist Of Fury, but what other throw-downs do you personally enjoy watching the most?. I've included some of my favourites from the top of my head, in the illustrations on display.

(Below)Takuma Tsurugi on the recieving end of Karate Master Kendo Masaoaka's iron fist, in The Streefighter(1974).

https://actionagogo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Bamn-3-Page-21-1.jpg

(Below) - Ninja Shadow Of A Tear(2013), featured one hell of a well filmed & choreographed dojo bust-up.

Ninja-Shadow-of-a-Tear-images-a90cbe0a-d332-435c-8cea-2eb7a1e0281.jpg

Chen Zhen, proves to the world, the Chinese are not sick men.

641b2dc8-170f-11ea-9462-4dd25a5b0420_image_hires_190736.JPG?itok=5vKSHyOF&v=1576235260

(Below)Billy Chow prepares to face Jet Li, in the dojo based finale in Fist Of Legend(1994)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

ShaOW!linDude

Lorenzo Lamas has what I consider to be a really good dojo fight against 4 opponents in Bounty Tracker.

Jet Li's dojo fight against the Japanese students in Fist of Legend is another fave of mine. He also has a really good dojo fight in Kiss of the Dragon.

Phillip Rhee has a nice dojo fight in Best of the Best 4.

Oh, and there's Sammo Hung's film set "dojo" fight in Enter the Fat Dragon.

• Like 5

Jeff Speakman's dojo fight against James Lew, Leo Lee, and Ray Sua in The Perfect Weapon

Fabien Garcia's dojo fight in Die Fighting

Hina Tobimatsu unleashing her kicks in a dojo in Karate Girl [KG]

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 5

Jet Li's two fights and Angela Mao's one mentioned above came immediately to my mind.

There's also the one in Furious ultimatum with Chiao Chiao, the Wang Yu's one in One-armed boxer (if i don't mistake this movie with another one and also in Rage of the master, if I remember well.

• Like 4

On 01/02/2018 at 3:54 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Lorenzo Lamas has what I consider to be a really good dojo fight against 4 opponents in Bounty Tracker.

Jet Li's dojo fight against the Japanese students in Fist of Legend is another fave of mine. He also has a really good dojo fight in Kiss of the Dragon.

Phillip Rhee has a nice dojo fight in Best of the Best 4.

Oh, and there's Sammo Hung's film set "dojo" fight in Enter the Fat Dragon.

Some great choics there, it's so long since I watched Best Of The Best 4, I just cant remember that fight. Now it's time to dig out the box-set, next I visit the parents.

On 01/02/2018 at 4:44 PM, AlbertV said:

Jeff Speakman's dojo fight against James Lew, Leo Lee, and Ray Sua in The Perfect Weapon

Another classic, up there with the Kiss Of The Dragon dojo fight.

On 01/02/2018 at 5:13 PM, ShawAngela said:

There's also the one in Furious ultimatum with Chiao Chiao, the Wang Yu's one in One-armed boxer (if i don't mistake this movie with another one and also in Rage of the master, if I remember well.

There's still some dojo based fights, from various independents, I'm trying to recall the titles off.

I love the scene in Eagles Claw, where Chang Yi and his cronies turned up at Chi Kuan Chun's school. The final fight in Last Fist Of Fury, is no classic, but I've always rated it as one of Dragon Lee's most entertaining. Also the scene where Ho Chung Tao goes into the Martial Arts club in Image Of Bruce Lee. He chases a criminal in there, and ends up fighting the entire school.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane

Why do most of you use the Japanese term "Dojo" regardless of whether you're talking about Japanese or Chinese/Other martial arts schools? 

Don't know if any of you have studied Chinese MA, but in any of the Kwoons/Gwoons I've trained in, if I referred to it as a "Dojo", I would most likely be punished, or at the very least be berated. Equally so in my TKD school or Muay Thai gym.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just interested in whether it's non-MA thing to use it as a general term for school.

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Hina Tobimatsu unleashing her kicks in a dojo in Karate Girl [KG]

That's a high school sports hall.:dull

A couple of my favorites....

Still one of the best fights from the 'No Retreat, No Surrender' series - 

& of course, Donnie Yen doing his thing in the iconic 1 vs 10 fight from 'Ip Man' - 

@DragonClaws - Please note that if anyone brings up the dojo fight from 'Chen Zhen: Legend of the Fist', they'll be banned from the forum.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

That's a high school sports hall.:dull

Maybe I should change the title of the thread?, I wasnt sure if to include gynasium scufles too, like the one in Return Of The Tiger(1977)

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
2 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Maybe I should change the title of the thread?, I wasnt sure if to include gynasium scufles too, like the one in Return Of The Tiger(1977)

I'd leave it as it is.  It's catchy, and is pretty clear what the thread's about.  I just wouldn't personally call a high school sports hall a dojo, no matter how many karate dudes are in it.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Why do most of you use the Japanese term "Dojo" regardless of whether you're talking about Japanese or Chinese/Other martial arts schools? 

Don't know if any of you have studied Chinese MA, but in any of the Kwoons/Gwoons I've trained in, if I referred to it as a "Dojo", I would most likely be punished, or at the very least be berated. Equally so in my TKD school or Muay Thai gym.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just interested in whether it's non-MA thing to use it as a general term for school.

Let's face it, "dojo" is a colloquialism. Just as some people refer to all martial arts films as "kung fu movies" or even "karate flicks". It's just a general term that's easy to use. It's like calling nunchaku "nunchucks" and shit like that. It's not necessarily right, but I think it's allowed for the most part.

• Like 6

TheFlyingPanda

Fist of Fury

Ip Man

and Hapkido

come to mind as favorites when I think of this style of fight scene. Definitely, there are some other good ones, but these are my favorites.  

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
22 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Let's face it, "dojo" is a colloquialism.

Yeah, I know I typically use the word as a catch-all phrase when referring to any MA school/practice studio.

Hey! HEY! Put down those shinais, guys! Come on!

• Like 3

On 02/02/2018 at 3:21 AM, TheFlyingPanda said:

Fist of Fury

Ip Man

and Hapkido

come to mind as favorites when I think of this style of fight scene. Definitely, there are some other good ones, but these are my favorites.  

More great choices there.

Would people say When Taekwondo Strikes has some strong Martial Arts school/dojo dust-up's?.

• Like 2

I always thought the throw down in the police station-dojo in Jet Li’s kiss of the dragon was great and where Jackie Chan reveals his snake fist qualities in snake in the eagles shadow.👍👍

• Like 3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far there's been no Shaw Brothers movies mentioned?. Of the Shaw's titles I have watched, I don't recall any Martial Arts school related bust-ups, apart from the one in Bruce Lee & I. Where Danny Lee's on the mock up film set, doing his best Chen Zhen impression. There's a lot of their out-put that's unseen to me. Sure there must be some Kung Fu Fandom members, who can suggest some titles?.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

What??

The Chinese Boxer

The Killer

The Duel

King Boxer

Heroes of the East

Five Super Fighters

And that's just off the dome, which is aching at the moment, there are plenty more.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

What??

Exactly, and even worse, I'd forgotten about the Martial Arts school fights in Five Super Fighters and King Boxer. Both of which I have watched a couple of times. I think I might be suffering from film fatigue/blackouts lol.

3 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

And that's just off the dome, which is aching at the moment, there are plenty more.

Do you have any personal favorites? or are those the one's you listed?.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Of the Shaw's titles I have watched, I don't recall any Martial Arts school related bust-ups, apart from the one in Bruce Lee & I.

Have you seen 4 Riders? There is a great end fight scene in a gym with Chen Kuan-tai, Ti Lung & Wong Chung throwing down against Yasuaki Kurata and his gang, while David Chiang do the same in a bar. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, thekfc said:

Have you seen 4 Riders? There is a great end fight scene in a gym with Chen Kuan-tai, Ti Lung & Wong Chung throwing down against Yasuaki Kurata and his gang, while David Chiang do the same in a bar. 

Not yet, does this movie have a U.K release?, soon as I read Yusuaki Kurata and Chen Kuen Tai were among the cast, I was sold.

Thanks for the suggestions guys?, anyone else have any Shaw Brothers titles to suggest?.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Not yet, does this movie have a U.K release?, soon as I read Yusuaki Kurata and Chen Kuen Tai were among the cast, I was sold.

It was part of the IVL initial releases so it may no longer be readily available unless you can find on ebay or the likes.

On the female side it have Lily Li, Ching Li & Tina Chin-Fei as part of the cast.

@One Armed Boxer did give it a review here.

http://cityonfire.com/four-riders-1972-review-shaw-brothers-hellfighters-of-the-east/

• Like 3

15 hours ago, thekfc said:

@One Armed Boxer did give it a review here.

Recall reading that review, but forgot about the movies title, doubly sold now. Found a copy on Amazon for 24.99, but it's not the R2 release. By the time the Shaws titles hit DVD here, I'd gone though burn out with the genre, so missed them completely. Though I do recall seeing them in shops. Had no idea they would become to hard to find. Did scalpers buy them all up? or were they simply releasing limited amounts at the time?.

Edited by DragonClaws