Strong Female Leads

LuFengLover

I am on a Podcast and for the month of March, we would like to showcase movies with strong female leads. What movies are the best that have a kickass female or females in the starring role?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Look into Michelle Yeoh's filmography. You'll find a good selection of her stuff. There's Yes, Madam; Royal Warriors; Magnificent Warriors; Project S; Wing Chun; and certainly Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

She Shoots Straight and License To Steal, both starring Joyce Godenzi.

Hapkido, When Taekwondo Strikes, The Tournament, and Dance of Death starring Angela Mao.

That should get you started.

Chia Ling's movies, Cheung Ching Ching 's movies, Angela Mao's movies, Shan Kuan Ling Fung's movies, Michelle Yeoh's movies, Cynthia Rothrock's movies, Cynthia khan's movies...

One Armed Boxer
12 hours ago, LuFengLover said:

I am on a Podcast and for the month of March, we would like to showcase movies with strong female leads. What movies are the best that have a kickass female or females in the starring role?

Pretty much the whole spectrum of the 'Girls with Guns' genre.

There's a dedicated thread here - 

On 27/01/2018 at 1:21 AM, LuFengLover said:

Can we have a shout out to Kung Fu Fandom on your pod-cast?. Ditto what One Armed Boxer and ShawAngela have already said.

So as far as I'm aware martial art heroines in cinema go back to at least 1920's Shanghainese cinema.

You might find this interesting: https://wfpp.cdrs.columbia.edu/pioneer/fan-xuepeng/#filmography

Fan Xuepeng is in what might be the earliest surviving martial arts/wuxia motion picture:

I've heard about the popularity of swordplay queens in 1960s Hong Kong productions, but I feel rather ignorant about pre-Bruce Lee martial art movies.  

I assume the legend of Hua Mulan must be influential on martial art heroines in cinema.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hua_Mulan#Films

Other than Lady General Hua Mu-lan, Cheng Pei Pei and Come Drink with Me are the only things that come to my mind from the 1960s. (I did say I feel ignorant).

Maybe Lady Snowblood and Kill Bill could be considerations.

The documentary; Top Fighter 2, might be helpful:

Hopefully you don't find the slightly crude parts too off putting.

Yukari Oshima and Moon Lee would be my picks. Sue Shiomi of Sister Street Fighter  fame is another good one.

On 1/28/2018 at 8:12 AM, DragonClaws said:

Can we have a shout out to Kung Fu Fandom on your pod-cast?. Ditto what One Armed Boxer and ShawAngela have already said.

Sure! I try to shout out Kung Fu Fandom!

12 hours ago, LuFengLover said:

Sure! I try to shout out Kung Fu Fandom!

Thats really cool, could you post a link to the pod-cast too?.

March 2018-Deadly Women (This is the listing we came up with for our Podcast.  If you have a suggestion you are dying to make please do so before the end of February.  The first 2 movies are set in stone.)

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

2 14 Amazons

9 Shadow

Whip

16 Yes, Madam

21 Dragon Inn (1992)