Captain Marvel (2019) - Brie Larson, Jude Law, Samuel L. Jackson

AlbertV

larson01.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=640

Here she is! Brie Larson, the Oscar-winning actress of Room, is starring as Carol Danvers, a test pilot who after an accident is fused with an alien's DNA and is given superhuman powers. The film is a prequel to the MCU, set in the 1990's with Samuel L. Jackson returning as Nick Fury. The film is being directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, currently in production in Atlanta, and is set for March 8, 2019. She will appear as well in the currently shooting Avengers 4 only two months later after the film's release.

The uniform seems to be inspired by the Kree and the Mar-Vell character, who will appear in the film as well as Jude Law plays Mar-Vell and his alter ego, Dr. Walter Lawson.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No interest in this at all. I wish they would us her design and personality from when she was Ms Marvel. If they had done that, then I would be all over this film, as she used to be one of my favorite characters. 

NIN T-shirt, looks like they'll have a few songs on the soundtrack then?, Disney love Pop Cuture references at the moment. Theyve even tapped into VHS nostalgia, with our hero landing in a Blockbuster store of all places. Remember when it was always homelss people or heavy drinkers who witnessed some far out movie character appear, in a derelict part of town?. I mght be more critical, not being a Marvel supefan, like my girlfriend is, but all their trialers are often pretty average.

D.C beat Marvel to the first female lead super hero film, which seem's to be a big deal to most people. Though to me, these films have always had men and women on a equal footing anyway, so it's not a big deal. Not like they've been erasing the female characters from their other movies.

Plus, it may say official trailer, but you know there's going to be at least one or two more trailers that will most likely show more than expected in this trailer. I read that Ben Mendelsohn's Talos(the main villain) will use an American accent while in Skrull form but his native Australian accent when he is in human form, so that should be something interesting.

ShaOW!linDude

I know that this film is integral to Avengers 4. And it's showing what looks to be fairly good action and f/x. But I don't know what it is. I'm just not feeling the oomph for this. Could be I'm just not real keen on Brie Larson's casting or this version of the character.

ShaOW!linDude

Saw this yesterday with the wife and girls. Okay, so now Marvel has a movie that bumps Black Panther up from its place at the bottom of the heap.

@Ah_Tao is correct in his post in the Guardians of the Galaxy 3 movie thread that you don't really have to see this before Avengers: Endgame. It would only be pertinent if you're interested in a back story of the character and the post credits scene, which I'm sure is already floating around on Youtube.

He is also right that this movie is bleh and overhyped (like BP; that's my comparison, not his).

While Brie Larson is fairly solid in her acting and delivery, and has some nice chemistry with Samuel L. Jackson, she just doesn't capture the epitome of the character. For one thing, for a movie that has a very pro-feminist feel, she has the build of a boy and portrays the character with any lack of femininity whatsoever. (Wait, maybe that's what they intended. Shiver.)

The original story is very confusing up until the end. This should have been dealt with differently. Marvel went out of their way to be very pro-woman with this, but weren't very uniform about doing it. The character of Mar-vell is cast as a female (Annette Benning). Can't have a man, as originally seen in the comics, be the one to play a role in giving the character her powers. But the traitorous Yon-Rogg is a man (as in the comics and played by Jude Law). So I guess that's okay, because men are bad. Why not change the villain to a woman, too?

The action is atrocious, unless it CGI based. Many of the fisticuffs are shot in dark environments and done so with the shaky cam format so that it's easier to hide the fact that Larson most likely isn't performing it and/or to make is "look good". It doesn't. And that irks me to no end because, as the film rightly hypes, the character is a warrior, and in the comics the Kree were very warrior-based, and both the original male Capt. Marvel and his female iteration Ms. Marvel were excellent brawlers using a form of Kree based MA. But we don't really get a good depiction of that. However, when she's using her powers, those scenes are really good.

Honestly, this would have been an ideal vehicle for Amy Johnston, who has the training and the physical appearance of the character. And I know this isn't supposed to be a full-fledged MA movie, but here's a woman who knows her craft and knows how to perform and sell a fight. It would have been easier and less costly to hire her a good acting coach for this.

For this next bit regarding yet another socio-political viewpoint in the movie...

Spoiler

...Skrulls are evil. They are not a disenfranchised race of space alien immigrants who just want to find a home and a better life. Yeah, in the comics the Kree aren't always knights in shining armor, but the Skrulls are by no means a group that warrants any sympathy.

On a positive note, the soundtrack is boss! I liked it better than the GotG films.

Look, don't get me wrong. I really like strong female characters. I'm a huge fan of this one. I love Wonder Woman, and the film of her did a fantastic job, blending both her femininity and warrior skills, with some great fight scenes. But I knew from the beginning with the casting of Larson and the explosion of the MeToo movement, that this film was going to have blatant social agenda overtones, and it hurts the film instead of helping it. And yes, I know the reviews are skating a tad more positive than negative, and the movie's raking in money at the box office hand over fist, and that's enough to make it a big plus in the Marvel/Disney column and launch a franchise...but it ain't no Wonder Woman

Still, like I said, the soundtrack is boss!

Drunken Monk

While I don’t agree with @ShaOW!linDude on almost all of his comments (saying Brie Larson has a boyish figure and doesn’t suit the role because of this is inherently sexist), I do agree that the film isn’t good. It’s average through and through.

Everyone acts well, the Skrulls are super dope, the characters are, for the most part, well formed. But it’s just a poor story with poor action. I’m fact, the action was abysmal. Why, after all the work the Russos have put in to crafting fantastic fights, they would go back to shaky-cam, I do not know.

Brie Larsen is a great Captain Marvel. She does really well with what she’s given. It’s just that she isn’t given much. The film is fine...okay...alright. That’s all.

I am somewhere inbetween @ShaOW!linDude and @Drunken Monk in my opinion on this. I loved the character, Brie Larson was great and the interplay between her and Jackson was well written. Jackson delivers a typically assured performance (but then again when doesn't he), with the cat stuff playing really well. In fact that's what I'd say works best about Captain Marvel, the comedy. Lots of laughs in the screening I attended. Now I will say that I'm very much in agreement that the action on the whole is poor, which in a Marvel movie is unforgivable, especially after the top notch fisticuffs of Winter Soldier. That said, I enjoyed the 'old lady' fight and Jackson's brief scuffle with Mendelsohn, but otherwise I agree it is shaky and not particularly well choreographed. Given there are now twenty two Marvel films, I'd put this comfortably.... in the top twenty! I enjoyed it more than Guardians 2, Thor 2 and the Iron Mans (his solo films I just cannot get on with, except perhaps Iron Man 3)

DragonClaws
6 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

While Brie Larson is fairly solid in her acting and delivery, and has some nice chemistry with Samuel L. Jackson, she just doesn't capture the epitome of the character. For one thing, for a movie that has a very pro-feminist feel, she has the build of a boy and portrays the character with any lack of femininity whatsoever. (Wait, maybe that's what they intended. Shiver.)

Making an outsider comment here, yet to see this, other than the trailers/promo stills. It looks like they modeled the screen versionof Captain Marvel, on Ronda Rousey, the Tom Boy style, see the shot of her in the leather jacket, NIN T-shirt and baseball cap.

6 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Honestly, this would have been an ideal vehicle for Amy Johnston, who has the training and the physical appearance of the character. And I know this isn't supposed to be a full-fledged MA movie, but here's a woman who knows her craft and knows how to perform and sell a fight. It would have been easier and less costly to hire her a good acting coach for this.

If only, guess you have to know the right people, to get these kinda of starring roles.

It was a 6/10 for me - liked Larson, and Goose,  didn't care for the shaky cam and the plodding story.

And making the Skrulls good guys?!

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

While I don’t agree with @ShaOW!linDude on almost all of his comments (saying Brie Larson has a boyish figure and doesn’t suit the role because of this is inherently sexist)...

I don't think so, but I may well be wrong, and that certainly isn't my intention. I would feel the same about a lack of masculinity in the role of Thor if that character were portrayed by someone like by one of the male cast members of The Big Bang Theory rather than Chris Hemsworth.

For comparison, I see Scarlet Johansson as the Black Widow, Elizabeth Olsen as the Scarlet Witch, or Zoe Saldana as Gamora in the Marvel franchises, as all strong female leads whose characters also bring a certain amount of femininity to their roles. 

As a man, I have no doubt I'm in the minority as far as seeing Brie Larson being a fitting actress to play the role. On a side note, my wife and girls enjoyed the movie, but they don't really buy her as the character either. Maybe it's us. :tongueout

DragonClaws

I'm by no means sexist, the strongest two peope I've ever met, are my Mum and my late Grandma. I was never brought up to be sexist, this being one example, my Dad loved to point out to me. That women were succesful in powerlifting and bodybuilding, not just men. Both sexes need each other, its not about one ebing stronger than the other etc. I watched my Nan deal with terminal cancer, in a way I could never imagine doing myself.

I dont think articles, like the following one, help anyone, who-ever they are, or where-ever they come from. Prefer to read the opinions of people who post on here.

How Captain Marvel fights everyday sexism : Captain Marvel punches misogyny in the face, our US friends explore why this is so important

Link- https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/captain-marvel/64062/how-captain-marvel-fights-everyday-sexism

Drunken Monk

I think the feminist angle is important, to be honest. Captain Marvel is a strong, female-driven film. She exhibits power, courage and charisma and the entire film is focused on her as a character. There's a lot of weight to that, especially in a world where comic book movies like to zoom in on Black Widow's leather-clad ass and treat most female characters as secondary.
Women deserve a character they can look up to and enjoy. The irony is that men also enjoy Captain Marvel as she's a tasty piece of eye candy (an idea that goes against the central idea of feminism, I suppose) but I guess they needed balance.

Much like Black PantherCaptain Marvel is an important film. If not for grown women then for little girls. 

DragonClaws
On 3/19/2019 at 6:59 PM, Drunken Monk said:

There's a lot of weight to that, especially in a world where comic book movies like to zoom in on Black Widow's leather-clad ass and treat most female characters as secondary.

Disney have no problems using Black Widow's femine allure to sell tickets, yet it pushes a different agenda in Captain Marvel, thats a weird double standard. Disney spent year's promoting the whole Disney princess thing, super skinny women, with fanstasy figures, drawn by male artists. The male character were presented to be just as picture perfect.

There might be just as many shot's of male bottoms, as there are female, in fact the Hulks ass probably gets the most exposure. My girlfriend says she has no problem ogling Chris Hemsworth as Thor, so why should men be throwned upon for doing the same, with the female character's?. As men and women, we are attractived to the opposite sex, or same sex, thats just the law of nature. If you find a person attractive, you will probably see them this way, however they get presented on-screen, wether its in a tight fitted super hero suit, or loose fitting/baggy jumper.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:59 PM, Drunken Monk said:

The irony is that men also enjoy Captain Marvel as she's a tasty piece of eye candy (an idea that goes against the central idea of feminism, I suppose) but I guess they needed balance.

I dont think they were trying to balance things out, they just know that a shot of her in a figure hugging suit, is going to catch a lot of target audience males. Not just adults, but all those teenage boy's who attend cinemas too.Even if they dont want o verbally admit this.  If they wanted to truly represent a female character, as more than just eye candy, why use so many shot of her, on the posters etc, as just that. A portrait shot of her face, should have been enough?.

Drunken Monk

I don't think it's a case of "Why shouldn't we be attracted to characters on screen?" I think it's a case of characters being less fleshed out while their sexuality is boosted. Yes, Thor takes his shirt off in the first Thor film but he's also given a well-rounded story and put at the forefront of the Avengers. Black Widow? Not so much. She is there to be eye candy first and a character second, in my opinion.
Is that changing? Sure. She's getting her own movie. And it's directed by a woman. So, she'll be given a meatier role to chew on and, as suspected, she will have less of a blatant sense of sexuality about her.
I didn't see the sexuality in Captain Marvel, to be honest. Yeah, her outfit was...slinky? But I don't think it was overt. Marvel balanced their need for the male gaze with the strength and courage of a truly feminist character.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't ogle. I'm guilty of that through and through, despite my claim that I'm a feminist. But I do think the men should get as many ass shots as the women. Equality and all that.

DragonClaws

Scarleet Johansson doesnt appear to have any problem playing the eye candy role, it pays well, but I never saw her as just that. I see her as equal to the rest of the team, in that they each bring something different. Her character's was also supposed to be an assassin, who uses her allurng looks, if needed, to trap her enemies?. Unless I've got the wrong impression, she kind of a Red Sparrow character, only with much greater physcial and mental skill's.

There's certianly no shortage of strong female characters all over the comic's or movies. Guess the original writers just wanted to create heroes for both young girls and boy's, rather than a subject for adults talk about and get divided by. Not that this is the case here, but it does appear to cause a lot of divide in some discussion paltforms. Did the orignal creator have any other intention, than simply providing some escapist entertianment, while making some money?.

women-of-marvel-universe-promo-sans-logo

Drunken Monk

At the end of the day, Hollywood is not implicitly on the side of women. And that includes Marvel. You posted eight women above and, if you include the Guardians of the Galaxy women, it's around eleven. Compared to...

Thor
Iron Man
Hawkeye
Loki
The Hulk
Starlord
Ant-Man
Black Panther
War Machine
Captain America
Spider-Man
Drax
Vision
Doctor Strange
Bucky
Falcon
Quicksilver
M'Baku
Rocket
Nick Fury

That's almost twice as many.

Again, all I'm saying is that Captain Marvel is important as a feminist film. That's my only statement really. Other than the fact I didn't think much of the film. I'm glad these little girls are getting more and more characters they can look up to and I'm happy Hollywood is slowly but surely leaning towards women holding down big, Hollywood blockbusters with female directors at the helm.

Archived