Historical film timeline

Gaijin84

I was reading a book that mentioned the Empress Dowager in the early 1900s, and I thought of the Shaw Brothers film that dealt with her. It got me thinking, can a reference be created that puts a timeline on a lot of the historical dramas that are released from both Hong Kong and mainland China? Films are always a great way to see how a certain time period is viewed from the world of cinema. The list could be quite extensive, but for example, when are the following movies set?

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter is set during the Song Dynasty, what other films take place during that era?

36th Chamber of Shaolin is during the Qing Dynasty, but what period, considering it lasted for almost 300 years?

Raise the Red Lantern is set during the Warlord Era (1916-28) - what other movies use that time as a backdrop?

thanks in advance for thoughts!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Cool idea. I have fleeting knowledge of Chinese history (as I assume many KF film fans does) so I can often appreciate period piece accuracy and detail as well as spot anachronisms, but I'm faaaar from an expert, so it would take people way smarter than me to do such as timeline.

Think years back someone brought this up but not sure how far it got. Its just a matter of starting somewhere with the easy ones and slowly crossing off the films as you go. It would be a cool group project so long as one person maintained the list and kept it updated as other posters added stuff.

TheFlyingPanda
On 1/18/2018 at 3:30 PM, Gaijin84 said:

It got me thinking, can a reference be created that puts a timeline on a lot of the historical dramas that are released from both Hong Kong and mainland China? Films are always a great way to see how a certain time period is viewed from the world of cinema. The list could be quite extensive, but for example, when are the following movies set?

Good idea. I've been wanting to do this for years, Especially since the reference can help me for a story I've been writing for years. A bunch of SB films are set in the Ming Dynasty, i made a list of a few I could post later.  

Great idea for a thread @Gaijin84.

My Chinese history is basic at best, basic might be too good of a word to use.

On 18/01/2018 at 8:30 PM, Gaijin84 said:

Raise the Red Lantern is set during the Warlord Era (1916-28) - what other movies use that time as a backdrop?

Little Big Soldier with Jackie Chan is set during this era I think?.

Archived