Donnie Yen = Sylvester Stallone

Iron_Leopard

Think about it. 

1. An action star who isn't the best actor but has just enough screen presence to make a movie watchable. 

2. HUGE ego. Never seen so much posing and so many attempts at trying to convince the audience they are "bad asses" you don't want to F with.

3. Overall below average filmography. Sly has "Rocky" and Donnie has "Ip Man". After that there's only about three or four other films that are truly memorable.

4. Tried to convince everyone they actually could act. "Cop Land" and "Wu Xia".

5. Sly will always be under Schwarzenegger and Donnie will always be under Chan. Rivals of both actors who had far more success because they had a sense of humor. Sly and Donnie always tried playing "serious" characters.

Love both guys though. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There both great talents in my opion, as actors and action stars, who cast their own shadows over the cinematic landscape.

I actually like Sylvester Stallone as an on screen performer. I see no problem with his acting abilities. Sure, he's a bit typecast and might be a bit of a one trick pony, but I think he's proved himself to have a lot of on screen charisma.

12 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Tried to convince everyone they actually could act. "Cop Land"

Rocky and Paradise Alley, feature two great and very different Stallone performances from the 70's. First Blood, before the Ramob movies took a different turn in style, also featured a strong performance from Stallone, varies from the one he has in NighHawks. He was type cast later in his career, but not many Hollywood stars havent suffered a similar fate.

6 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Rocky and Paradise Alley, feature two great and very different Stallone performances from the 70's. First Blood, before the Ramob movies took a different turn in style, also featured a strong performance from Stallone, varies from the one he has in NighHawks. He was type cast later in his career, but not many Hollywood stars havent suffered a similar fate.

I agree. Sly was great all the way up till about 82. After that he traded acting for box office. I probably should have said he tried to "remind" everyone he could act with "Cop Land".

11 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I probably should have said he tried to "remind" everyone he could act with "Cop Land".

I think he held his own with all the other actors in Copland, Rocky Balboa and Creed both feature great performances, as more recent examples. There's wasnt much any actor could do with some of the roles he's played. Would Tango and Cash have been better or worse with Al Pachino and Robert De Niro replacing Kurt Russell and Stallone?.

On 2018-01-18 at 7:38 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

Think about it. 

1. An action star who isn't the best actor but has just enough screen presence to make a movie watchable. 

2. HUGE ego. Never seen so much posing and so many attempts at trying to convince the audience they are "bad asses" you don't want to F with.

3. Overall below average filmography. Sly has "Rocky" and Donnie has "Ip Man". After that there's only about three or four other films that are truly memorable.

4. Tried to convince everyone they actually could act. "Cop Land" and "Wu Xia".

5. Sly will always be under Schwarzenegger and Donnie will always be under Chan. Rivals of both actors who had far more success because they had a sense of humor. Sly and Donnie always tried playing "serious" characters.

Love both guys though. 

1. Partially agree. Both started out with screen presence but have worked hard on improving themselves tremendously to the point of being capable performers overall.

2. Don't know about Stallone. But as far as Donnie goes, he let that huge ego of his go ever since making it big with Ip Man. Huge egos won't take you far ahead in the industry and he realized this. Just watch any of his recent interviews ever since. He's no longer behaving and stating things the same as he once did.

3. Depends on how much of fan you are of certain performers so it's all subjective. Every actor makes movies that more or less appeals to viewers. Donnie's filmography overall I would say is not below average, at least if we're gonna talk mere action talent as he always delivers.

4. And they succeeded greatly. Look at later movies like Rocky Balboa, The Monkey King, Creed, Kung Fu Jungle, Chasing the Dragon etc. They can act and are showing good signs of improving further by taking on different roles.

5. As a big fan of both Schwarzenegger and Chan, I gotta say that it's the other way around to an extent now. You can't hold on to certain actors' best works and use that as standpoint to show that they are still relevant today. You have to show the consistency of them making good movies in any era. With a couple of exceptions, what movies of theirs have stood out in the last 20 years?

NoKUNGFUforYU

I'd rather watch Yen then Chan mug his way through half of his stuff. Yen has calmed down with ego and is now recognized as someone who wants to get things really right when he makes a movie.

And bad movies?

Tiger Cage, Iron Monkey, In the Line of Duty, Seven Swords, Drunken Tai Chi, OUATC 2, SPL, on and on.

Jackie has done a ton of horrible movies- Accidental Spy, spy next door, who am I?, Canton and Rose, all while making sure that the latest young actress has to sleep with him while he ignores his own kids. Oh, and saying how HK people have too much freedom. Yuch.

Archived