AGFA and Shaw Brothers Studio Team Up For Theatrical Distribution, Set to Screen Thirty New Restorations

Chemical Lemon

Chemical Lemon

AGFA and Shaw Brothers Studio Team Up For Theatrical Distribution, Set to Screen Thirty New Restorations

Of particular interest to me is that boxer's omen is on the list.  I think that's the only movie in the list that doesn't have a known HD master.  I'm assuming these are new Celestial prints and not collector's prints, so hopefully that means there's a Boxer's Omen blu coming from 88 soon.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chemical Lemon

Ah.... I'm a little bit confused by their website.  They already have the movies in their Film Catalog.  The Catalog lists formats and these are all listed for digital projection and Blu Ray.  My assumption is that blu ray is just listed as a means for rental.  But it's tough to say, blu isn't mentioned in their rental guidelines, and they do release their own blu rays.  Some movies are only listed as DVD though, which seems an odd thing to do for loans, but maybe not.  Anyway, I hope this is somehow blossoming into an announcement of blu rays through them or through an associated label but probably not. 

Man, I hope you are right about some home blu-ray releases. I won't purchase the titles that I already have (not unless these are truly new restorations) but certainly there is enough there for me to be very happy about. Dirty Ho being one of my favorite Pops movies. Of course, I would love to see all of these on the big screen. And, the elephant in the room - will Avenging Eagle be uncut or the current version with the missing 1 minute? That would be the deal breaker. Either way, it would be nice to get some fresh titles on blu-ray. 

Chemical Lemon

AGFA commented on FB that they would not be releasing blus but it was worded in a way that very specifically says their company is not producing blus, which leaves open that some other company is working alongside them to create blus. We’ll just have to wait to see.  I don’t think they’re making new scans of these so I suspect they will use the existing cut Avenging Eagle that celestial is using. Hope to be wrong though  

I am looking forward to seeing these on the big screen.  I saw Masked Avengers in NYC on the big screen.  I missed The Five Deadly Venoms as they were showing the 2 at the same time. I am looking forward to this!

Holy Flame of the Martial World is playing in Austin in a couple weeks. I've already seen a good chunk of this list at various Alamo screenings over the years, I hope I can see most of the rest this year! Stoked!

Killer Meteor
On 19/01/2018 at 2:50 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

You've been making the same comment for over a decade. Ever thought of changing it up?

thank you!

Never mind the Shaws,as great as they are-what are Agfa doing with the legendary The Dragon Lives Again, which they've restored.

Saw the Holy Flame of the Martial World last night, the print is in really good shape, vibrant color, looked like its only been played a few times. If the rest of the collection looks this good we're in for a treat.

Buddah's Palm last night,  print looked great. Lo Lieh stole the show.

Up next: The Duel

On 1/25/2018 at 3:52 PM, saltysam said:

Never mind the Shaws,as great as they are-what are Agfa doing with the legendary The Dragon Lives Again, which they've restored.

I'm not so sure about the "restoration" of these prints, before each screening they have been saying that these are 35mm prints found in an old theater.

Killer Meteor

I recall Agfa saying they couldn't get the home video rights to Dragon Lives Again

NoKUNGFUforYU

New mission in San Francisco was supposed to show more but only screened Inframan, Buddha's Palm and 36th Chamber. Frankly, 36th Chamber is the most overexposed Shaw film of their library, because of gushing reviews I guess in the 80's. I just never really bought Gordon Liu as a supreme ass kicker. Sure, he made some great flicks, but there are much better Shaw films, such as Shaolin Temple with tons of stars and styles.

Just saw Masked Avengers, looked like a digital presentation, amazing picture quality. English Dub too! I counted 8 "But Still's"  and at least 4 "Listen's"

I love seeing these classics on the big screen with a full theater.

5 hours ago, inframan said:

https://drafthouse.com/austin/program/shawscope

Coming in May: 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Vengeance, Dirty Ho and Bastard Swordsman! 

I've already seen 8 Diagram and Dirty Ho on the big screen but should be interesting to see the restorations. I'll be out of town for Vengeance, I always seem to miss that one.

Seeing Bastard Swordsman at the New Beverly was one of my very favorite experiences seeing a movie in a theater ever. I would 100% recommend seeing it with an audience.

Archived