Films with Hwang Jang Lee as a good guy

TheKungFuRobber

TheKungFuRobber

Hello KFC, I'm looking for a complete list of films with Hwang Jang Lee as a protagonist. I've seen lots of his films where he is a villian, and I'm a big fan of his, but I have seen a few films where he is a protagonist and love these movies too. So far, this is what I've got.

CANTON VIPER (1983) - Hwang Jang Lee's finest work in my opinion, not so much a martial arts film, but a period drama which challenges the typical "revenge" theme in old school kung fu movies, which is a rare showcase of Hwang Jand Lee's talent as a director, producer, writer and actor.

HARD BASTARD (1981) - Fun movie which is sure to keep you entertained for 90 minutes, with some very good fight scenes and slapstick humour as to be expected from a film of the era. Plot is a little thin but is made up for with humour and fun characters. Hwang is a bit of a dick to his brother for the most part but I liked his character here.

HITMAN IN THE HAND OF BUDDHA (1981) - Solid martial arts film on par with other classics of the era, I enjoyed this one more than Drunken Master for sure. Great vehicle for Hwang's abilities as a martial artist.

FIVE FINGERS OF STEEL (1982) - Decent film, dark storyline involving rape and murder, clearly a troubled production and Hwang is not in this movie until the second half. Has a brilliant final duel between Hwang Jang Lee and Kwan Young Moon, who portrays a real nasty bastard in this film. I enjoyed this one and the English dub made the film amusing with a couple beers.

LIVE HARD (1989) - Never seen this one, but read about it. Should probably check it out one of these days.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

INNOCENT INTERLOPER (1986) He's not the main hero but one of the good guys and does get to throw down in the final fight.

TheKungFuRobber
22 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

INNOCENT INTERLOPER (1986) He's not the main hero but one of the good guys and does get to throw down in the final fight.

Thanks dude, will check it out tonight.

TibetanWhiteCrane

If memory serves he was a good guy (not lead hero) in Blood Child and good guy sidekick in (the heavily re-edited) Buddhist Fist and Tiger Tiger Claws. But honstly it's been a while for both.

One Armed Boxer
41 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

If memory serves he was a good guy (not lead hero) in Blood Child and good guy sidekick in (the heavily re-edited) Buddhist Fist and Tiger Tiger Claws. But honstly it's been a while for both.

'Blood Child' yes (it's also included in the original post under 'Five Fingers of Steel').....'Buddhist Fist and Tiger Claws' he's a bad guy (those spends a large portion of the runtime pretending to be a good guy).

If memory serves me correctly, isn't he also a good guy in 'Iron Angels'?

TheKungFuRobber

I've never seen Buddhist Fists and Tiger Claws, as I'm sure many will be surprised to know given the fact I've seen way too many Asso Asia movies to count. Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger is a good movie.

TheKungFuRobber

Wasn't Buddhist Fists and Tiger Claws re-edited quite significantly from the Korean version? Because, I read a review for the Korean version which says Hwang plays a good guy and the plot is about stolen Japanese gold but in the Hong Kong version from Asso Asia, he is the bad guy and the plot differs. Could someone explain this? I'd like to order the Korean version, because it is available from KOFA on DVD but has no English subs and therefore is not really useful to me for casual viewing, so maybe I'm stuck with the HK version.

1 hour ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Wasn't Buddhist Fists and Tiger Claws re-edited quite significantly from the Korean version?

As far as I know, all the Asso-Asia Korean movie releases were edited for their international releases.

One Armed Boxer
20 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Wasn't Buddhist Fists and Tiger Claws re-edited quite significantly from the Korean version?

19 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

As far as I know, all the Asso-Asia Korean movie releases were edited for their international releases.

@DragonClaws is right, it'd be far easier to list the Asso-Asia distributed Korean kung-fu flicks that didn't change the plot, that it would be those that did.

TheKungFuRobber
On 31/01/2018 at 7:48 PM, DragonClaws said:

Hard Bastard is not heavilly edited as far as I can tell, but they did add in an extra sex scene and cut back on some humour which HK audiences wouldn't understand.

One Armed Boxer
4 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Hard Bastard is not heavilly edited as far as I can tell, but they did add in an extra sex scene and cut back on some humour which HK audiences wouldn't understand.

Actually 'Hard Bastard' has some of the most ridiculous plot changes of any Asso-Asia production, paricularly changing the characters of Hwang & his sister to be Hwang & his fiancé. As far as I'm aware the movie was also never distributed in HK, Asso-Asia bought it for western distribution, as they did with almost all of their Korean acquisitions.

I reviewed it & go into a more detail in one of the monthly review threads -

TheKungFuRobber
On 2/3/2018 at 10:52 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Actually 'Hard Bastard' has some of the most ridiculous plot changes of any Asso-Asia production, paricularly changing the characters of Hwang & his sister to be Hwang & his fiancé. As far as I'm aware the movie was also never distributed in HK, Asso-Asia bought it for western distribution, as they did with almost all of their Korean acquisitions.

I reviewed it & go into a more detail in one of the monthly review threads -

Fucking hell, man. Well, I own both versions on DVD but as I don't understand Korean I have to rely on that horrible English dubbed version. I actually read that review a while ago and picked up on that, but at least they didn't cut a whole lot out of the film. It's as if they were too lazy to do a proper translation on the film.

TheKungFuRobber

Thought I would add. Hwang did a couple of movies alongside Casanova Wong in his native Korea in the early 70's, where he played a good guy and he was a good guy in Black Dragon River.

If I remember right he was good in Secret Envoy aka Secret agent (1976). I am not sure but I think that in Phantom Thief he is good guy as well.

Archived