Better decade of MA cinema? 00s or 10s?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Which decade do you feel has the superior martial arts films? 

Ill admit I haven't seen nearly as much from these two decades as I have from previous ones. Mostly because I can't stand the CGI age of Kung fu.

With what I've seen I'm going with 2000s cause you got "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", "Hero", "Fearless", and "Ip Man".

Oh and "The Legend of Zu". Wait....lol.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

2000’s for sure. I think “The Grandmaster” is the only true kung fu masterpiece made in the 2010’s. I really can’t think of another.

One Armed Boxer
40 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I really can’t think of another.

I'd say 'The Raid' (2011) & 'The Raid 2' (2014) will both be remembered as classics of the action genre.

Shall weigh in with more of my thoughts later, but to a degree I also feel like it's too early to be having this discussion.  We're comparing 10 years of movies to only 7 years, and I know many people have yet to see what are considered to be the best action flicks of '16 and '17, because of a lack of western distribution in most cases.  In those instances people would be comparing a decades worth of filmmaking to just 5 years, so it's impossible to have a balanced answer without the 10's being over.

Drunken Monk
11 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I'd say 'The Raid' (2011) & 'The Raid 2' (2014) will both be remembered as classics of the action genre.

You’re absolutely right. How could I forget!?

Iron_Leopard
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

You’re absolutely right. How could I forget!?

Don't also forget about "Ip Man 2" and "Ip Man 3".

One Armed Boxer
19 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

And Adkins' Ninja: Shadow of a Tear for 2010's, too! That's a classic to me.

It feels like Adkins has been doing 100 movies a year since 2010.

Both of the latter 'Undisputed' sequels also fall into the 10's...with 'Redemption' being released in 2010, and 'Boyka' in 2016.

22 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I know many people have yet to see what are considered to be the best action flicks of '16 and '17, because of a lack of western distribution in most cases. 

Big factor in me not replying sooner, its tough, but I prefer to wait, rather than illegally download stuff.

Archived