Favorite Martial Arts film from year you were born

Iron_Leopard

1 hour ago, LuFengLover said:

Me too! I think CTHD is beautifully shot but the pacing might be too slow for the younger generation.  I also liked Shanghai Noon. Go figure.

It's not that it's too slow, it's just out of the rest I just had to pick the bootleg Romeo and Juliet one lol. But still, I do enjoy the classic wuxia stuff (King Hu, Yueh Feng, old school Chang Cheh, etc) on the other note. A Touch of Zen is what had me watching it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My year of birth was part of the transition years from Opera to Martial Arts / Kung Fu / Action thus there are a good amount of good movies for me to choose from.

Dragon Inn

One-Armed Swordsman

Trail of the Broken Blade

The Assassin

The Sword & The Lute

The Thundering Sword

Rape of the Sword

Silent Swordsman

King Cat

Samurai Rebellion

Zatoichi's Cane Sword

The First Sword  

The Wandering Knight

It is a hard choice but I will go with Dragon Inn over the others.

On 1/7/2018 at 3:05 PM, DrNgor said:

That's pretty astonishing to read, to be perfectly honest. How was The King Boxer, actually?

I saw The King Boxer a long time ago so I don't remember exactly what I thought of it. I remember the movie wasn't terrible. The fights were decent, but the first half has a lot of annoying comedy bits. And the music is just awful. I'd say it's watchable(?), but nothing special. It has a straight-to-video feel to it.

On 1/7/2018 at 3:15 PM, Ah_Tao said:

There aren't really much from 2000 that I am really crazy about. I guess out of all of them, I'd probably have to choose Romeo Must Die.

Same here. Also, hey, I didn't know there was a fellow 2000's kid on the forum! I thought I was the only one! :laugh

Also Romeo Must Die for the win!

On 1/7/2018 at 3:28 PM, DrNgor said:

Oh wow, Romeo Must Die has gotten two votes, over CTHD *and* Shanghai Noon? I'm speechless.

I thought CTHD was really boring for the most part. Shanghai Noon is fun, but I thought it was a bit too crude for my tastes. I was slightly annoyed watching Shanghai Noon but I enjoy it anyway. Romeo Must Die, however, is just wonderful. It's incredibly dumb in the most entertaining way. It has everything the original Romeo and Juliet was missing: hip-hop music, football, explosions, and martial arts fight scenes.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:17 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I felt the same way! To me “CTHD” is a certified classic but I suppose some people don’t like wuxia stuff.

I actually really like wuxia stuff. But, I don't know, I thought CTHD was just boring. I wrote a really cynical review of it for one of the Mutual Movie Reviews (the theme of the month was "Unpopular Opinions").

18 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

Same here. Also, hey, I didn't know there was a fellow 2000's kid on the forum! I thought I was the only one! 

Yeah I didn't know there were others here too. I've been on this website before the creation of this account, I'm just not a very sociable person online usually hahaha.

Mr. Canton And Lady Rose is the best of 1989 for me. Then again, I hardly know what actually was released martial arts wise in my birth year.

48 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

Mr. Canton And Lady Rose is the best of 1989 for me. Then again, I hardly know what actually was released martial arts wise in my birth year.

Iceman cometh w/ Yuen Biao;
Outlaw Brothers w/ Frankie Chan and Yukari Oshima;
The Pedicab Driver w/ Sammo Hung;
Kickboxer w/ JCVD;
Blonde Fury w/ Cynthia Rothrock;
Cyborg w/ JCVD

On 1/7/2018 at 12:58 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

My favorite martial arts movie of all time.

You also have confirmed my curiosity if anyone on this forum was born post 1990 :)

Iron Monkey might well be my favourite wire-fu. Decent story, good characters, and exceptional action for a wire based movie.

I think there was at least 5 other members in the KFC days who where born in the 1990s, and as we've read in this thread there's 2 members born in 2000.

ShaOW!linDude
12 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

Got me wishing I was born in '89 now.

On 1/9/2018 at 6:10 PM, DrNgor said:

Iceman cometh w/ Yuen Biao;
Outlaw Brothers w/ Frankie Chan and Yukari Oshima;
The Pedicab Driver w/ Sammo Hung;
Kickboxer w/ JCVD;
Blonde Fury w/ Cynthia Rothrock;
Cyborg w/ JCVD

Not a bad list, but I need to see The Pedicab Driver at some point. Never seen that one! Kickboxer is alright, but Cyborg I do not like at all.

TheKungFuRobber

I'd have to say 'THE MATRIX', which is a steaming pile of dog shit but the only martial arts film I can think of from 1999.

3 hours ago, lilmanjs said:

Not a bad list, but I need to see The Pedicab Driver at some point. Never seen that one! Kickboxer is alright, but Cyborg I do not like at all.

You do need to see it! And I say this as someone born in the same year as you.

Pedicab Driver for me. Though the release date of Into the Fire (if you'd like to count that as MA) leans a lot closer towards my actual birth date.

3 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

I'd have to say 'THE MATRIX', which is a steaming pile of dog shit but the only martial arts film I can think of from 1999.

...Gorgeous?

4 hours ago, massa_yoda said:

Gorgeous

Universal Soldier: The Return
City of Darkness, which features Donnie Yen and Billy Chow
A Man Called Hero

If it counts? Jackie Chan: My Stunts also came out in 1999.

There wasn't one unless you count Sugata Sanshiro Part II, and I haven't seen that.  Wait, I did see The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail, also from Kurosawa the same year, and I enjoyed that samurai film.  

1 minute ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

There are to many from my year  for me to chose from :monk_smh:

The Iron Fisted Monk might be the winner. 

Much respect to you sir! Whether or not if it's part of the 36 trilogy it's still a San Te movie to me, I just could do without some scenes. I absolutely love that end fight scene :)

Archived