Favorite Martial Arts film from year you were born

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

How the hell am I suppose to pick a favorite from 1978? That was THE year of the martial arts flick. 

Im going to have to get back to you on that one. 

What about you? 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are too many for me to choose from in 1971.  I am not a big Bruce Lee fan so I am going with Iron Triangle Films: The Duel, The Deadly Duo, The New One-Armed Swordsman, The Duel of Fists, The Anonymous Heroes.

Plus Cheng Pei Pei faves Shadow Whip and Lady Hermit.

One Armed Boxer

Have to go for 'The Prodigal Son' from 1981....a flick that ages like fine wine, or forum members.:tongueout

Iron_Leopard
4 hours ago, LuFengLover said:

There are too many for me to choose from in 1971.  I am not a big Bruce Lee fan so I am going with Iron Triangle Films: The Duel, The Deadly Duo, The New One-Armed Swordsman, The Duel of Fists, The Anonymous Heroes.

Plus Cheng Pei Pei faves Shadow Whip and Lady Hermit.

Dang. I was thinking more of one movie lol

According to the release date I've read, I was born about 2 weeks before Iron Monkey (1993) was released.

I have the same problem as @teako170 above. Choice is somewhat limited when it comes to 1965 Martial Arts content, however I did enjoy both Temple of the Red Lotus  and The Twin Swords. Both films presenting elements of realism foreshadowing the future direction of the genre.

I will also mention a drama as well. The Chang Cheh scripted and co-directed The Butterfly Chalice. A visually attractive film and a good story that, if I remember correctly, also contains content hinting at the future path of the director's action based films.

Iron_Leopard
16 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

According to the release date I've read, I was born about 2 weeks before Iron Monkey (1993) was released.

My favorite martial arts movie of all time.

You also have confirmed my curiosity if anyone on this forum was born post 1990 :)

8 hours ago, teako170 said:

Sons of the Good Earth (1965)

This sounds like parts 1 *and* 2 of Pearl S. Buck's trilogy.

1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Shoot! If there was any MA movies from 1964, I doubt I've seen any of them.

You have this:

I guess I'd say Romeo Must Die (2000). :laugh Romeo Must Die isn't even that amazing of a movie, but considering the only other MA movies from 2000 that I've seen are Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Shanghai Noon, and The King Boxer (the one with Chin Kar Lok) Romeo Must Die is an easy choice.

Same as above, not a lot available to choose from 1965, Temple of the Red Lotus, Twin Swords, Sons of Good Earth. Hard to pick one over the other as I rate them all about the same.

19 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

considering the only other MA movies from 2000 that I've seen are Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Shanghai Noon, and The King Boxer (the one with Chin Kar Lok) Romeo Must Die is an easy choice.

That's pretty astonishing to read, to be perfectly honest. How was The King Boxer, actually?

There aren't really much from 2000 that I am really crazy about. I guess out of all of them, I'd probably have to choose Romeo Must Die.

1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

Oh wow, Romeo Must Die has gotten two votes, over CTHD *and* Shanghai Noon? I'm speechless.

Me too! I think CTHD is beautifully shot but the pacing might be too slow for the younger generation.  I also liked Shanghai Noon. Go figure.

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

Oh wow, Romeo Must Die has gotten two votes, over CTHD *and* Shanghai Noon? I'm speechless.

I felt the same way! To me “CTHD” is a certified classic but I suppose some people don’t like wuxia stuff.

Archived