The Cutting Room Floor: Lost, Censored & Deleted Bruce Lee Movie Scenes (Article)

DragonClaws

shukocarl1441996347
3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Were Cantnnese audiences just not as into Martial Arts movies?.

It was  just snobbery on the part of the studios. Manadarin was the language of artists/talented people whereas Cantonese was the language of the street/peasants.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
15 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Were Cantnnese audiences just not as into Martial Arts movies?.

Cantonese audiences wern't catered to, as the larger Mandarin circuit led by Shaws dominated. In 1972, there was no Cantonese movies made in HK at all.

I'm surprised there wasn't a Cantonese version of Way of the Dragon made when Bruce was alive (the one we have is from the 80s) as it's a very Cantonese feeling film in tone, it would have been unique at the time, and Bruce likely would have provided his own voice.

It's telling that in 1973, Enter the Dragon was beaten at the HK box office by HOUSE OF 72 TENANTS...a Cantonese film from Shaw Brothers.

• Like 4

Baywatch411
17 hours ago, Drunksnake said:

Brandon Bentley discusses the Mandarin cut of The Big Boss here.

https://youtube.com/live/6byRdUUgXoA?feature=share7

Thank you, I just subscribed to the channel.  Great stuff and loved the interview.  I was anxious to hear anything about Game of Death overall as judging from just the details from Arrow there is a "Game of Death revisited" which is a reconstruction I guess and I know there is the log fight.  I guess when I buy it I'll find out more.  Loved Brandon's take on The Big Boss and Tower of Death they will be included for the Arrow set.

Edited by Baywatch411
  • Like 4

On 6/30/2023 at 12:43 AM, Baywatch411 said:

Thank you, I just subscribed to the channel.  Great stuff and loved the interview.  I was anxious to hear anything about Game of Death overall as judging from just the details from Arrow there is a "Game of Death revisited" which is a reconstruction I guess and I know there is the log fight.  I guess when I buy it I'll find out more.  Loved Brandon's take on The Big Boss and Tower of Death they will be included for the Arrow set.

There will be ALL of the outtake reals for Game Of Death followed by a brand new edit of the footage using all the reels including the log fight.

• Like 4

sifu iron perm

the revisit GOD is over 2 hrs long..split into chapters..Log fight is in the 8th chapter.

Boxset includes 3 separate discs for GOD.

• Like 3

PandaPawPaw
14 hours ago, WarriorBloodCrest said:

So, with a lot of folks having the box set in hand... any screengrabs by chance? Cheers.

Most people seem to be more interested in going on about dings on the corners of the set rather than the actual disc content.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Killer Meteor

I'm delighted so far. The extra scenes from THE BIG BOSS are fantastic treasures. Be warned, if you want the raw 35mm print, that's missing one of my fave moments - the Ed-Woodish scene of Malalene getting stabbed in the back by a knife handle!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I'm delighted so far. The extra scenes from THE BIG BOSS are fantastic treasures. Be warned, if you want the raw 35mm print, that's missing one of my fave moments - the Ed-Woodish scene of Malalene getting stabbed in the back by a knife handle!

Why is it cut, while it was in the previous releases ? We are talking about the prostitute killed by Liu Yung because she talked to Bruce Lee about the boss, right ?

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 7/19/2023 at 4:17 AM, PandaPawPaw said:

Most people seem to be more interested in going on about dings on the corners of the set rather than the actual disc content.

Theres a lot hardwork gone into this set, and it the first of its kind to actually have something new to many fans. Much easier to critique the finished version, than it is to put something together like this. Arrow could have done a Warner Brothers, and just released the exact same content in 4K.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

PandaPawPaw
50 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Theres a lot hardwork gone into this set, and it the first of its kind to actually havething new to many fans. Much easier to critique the finished version, than it is to put something together like this. Arrow could have done a Warner Brothers, and just released the exact same content in 4K.

I'm not saying people shouldn't mention any damages to their sets just that when that becomes the main topic, it gets a bit repetitive/frustrating as personally I want to know about the disc contents.

Obviously ARROW put lots of effort in to it. Unlike WB, they actually give a shit. :D

• Like 5

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Why is it cut, while it was in the previous releases ? We are talking about the prostitute killed by Liu Yung because she talked to Bruce Lee about the boss, right ?

Yes, looks like a bad splice. It is in the main restoration, so don't worry.

• Like 5

Not really related, but is the Warner Brothers Enter the dragon new release a blu ray ? It says so on soes sites, but not on all, so, I'm hesitating to get it. With the players on the computer, I think that I can watch a 4K release, but I'm not sure that my external bluray player accepts a 4k bluray. I really am not an expert on all these new technologies !! :monk_laughing:

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Not really related, but is the Warner Brothers Enter the dragon new release a blu ray ? It says so on soes sites, but not on all, so, I'm hesitating to get it. With the players on the computer, I think that I can watch a 4K release, but I'm not sure that my external bluray player accepts a 4k bluray. I really am not an expert on all these new technologies !! :monk_laughing:

The new (August) release is 2 disc - 4K UHD and Blu Ray.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Coliseum1972

my gut feeling thinks keyhole scene could be out there , now whether it will surface is anyones guess......the cut we saw likely had head scene as well when the manager throws the head into the ice

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 1

DragonClaws
On 7/26/2023 at 8:03 PM, Coliseum1972 said:

my gut feeling thinks keyhole scene could be out there , now whether it will surface is anyones guess......the cut we saw likely had head scene as well when the manager throws the head into the ice

Steve Kerridge mentioned in a recent interview, that this scene was removed before the films premiere.

Cheer You On

On the Criterion forum, a person posted a 2007 comment from Steve: "Well.... i can assure you that YES the saw scene does exist, and cannot say anything else on the matter... believe me i've been approached by Hong Kong Legends and a few others who will pay good money, but because of my word, i will not bend..."

https://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=791791#p791791

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw

@Cheer You On I thought he had it too when I read it back in the day but it turns out he was lying.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:07 PM, fabhui said:

Steve Kerridge has confirmed that he does not own an uncut print of The Big Boss.

Personally, I think Steve knows the identity of the 'private collector' that owns an uncut 35mm print of the film. I think the reason that he refuses to reveal the identity of the collector is because the print is stolen property. 

Apparently the print that was shown at the Kilburn convention in 1979 was never returned to Cathay. It ended up in the hands of at least one private collector as the names of three people that were supposedly involved are known.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Coliseum1972 said:

I was talking bout keyhole scene , not saw scene.....the latter might not even exist cept in pr shots

How to explain the blood splash on the screen on the German bluray, then ? Could it be that they added it ?

• Like 1