The Cutting Room Floor: Lost, Censored & Deleted Bruce Lee Movie Scenes (Article)

DragonClaws

On 10/4/2022 at 7:29 AM, Cognoscente said:

Bruce wanted to make a gory martial arts movie as far back as his Silent Flute days.

@Cognoscente, Im not sure which thread you recently shared some old English The Big Boss/Game of Death plot synopsis's?. However, The Big Boss one matches up with the more in depth detials, that you find on some of the older 70's Asian movie promotional material, programs and flyers etc. It's almost the exact word for word as one I translated a few months ago, with less broken English.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

maxresdefault.jpg&fb_obo=1&utld=ytimg.co

Kyodai Kino shared part of an old Turkish trailer for The Big Boss, any reason why other sections have been left out?. Thanks to Brandon Bentley, who shared this over on The Big Boss FaceBook group earlier in the year.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

Just now, J.J. Hayden said:

Yuen Wah isn't it?

Thats right, did he have a brief scene in the movie as a return favour for doubling for the star?. He appears during one of the banquet scenes when Han's character makes his entrance, but you dont see his character fight?.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

He appears during one of the banquet scenes when Han's character makes his entrance, but you dont see his character fight?.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't recall seeing him have a fight scene, at least not one on one like Tony Lau Wing. In fact I don't think I'd spotted him apart from the banquette you mentioned. He may be in the big brawl at the end, but then who can keep track of all the faces that show up :P 

• Like 3

Thanks @PandaPawPaw, he was clearly playing one of the fighters hired for the tournament. Did his character have a name like the others, was he just there to fill out the background characters?.

• Like 2

Quick question, when Golden Harvest screened their Bruce Lee films at Cannes Film festival in 1973. Did they show the English dubbed prints to potential buyers?, or were they subtitled Mandarin or Cantonese versions?.

• Like 1

index.jpg.830b44c3e163fd5e0c982d3197eb9eda.jpg

Does anyone know where this image came from as in is it just a still image or from actual BTS footage?

Also how did the makers of Tower of God (GOD2) get their hands on ETD deleted scenes? Didn't WB own it?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Does anyone know where this image came from as in is it just a still image or from actual BTS footage?

Looks to me to be from the same scene (if not same day) as this BTS pic from Enter The Dragon, also it's hard to see but I think the board says Enter The Dragon too.

image.jpeg.2b9249db2fb43a7340f0e484ecdd2d21.jpeg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Sorry I should of been more clear but I meant did it come from ETD BTS footage or just a still image. :)

I think I understand now, you mean a still from a BTS video rather than a regular BTS photo, interesting question. It doesn't look like a vid I've seen, but it's been years since I did an ETD deep dive.

• Like 3

Just now, PandaPawPaw said:

Sorry I should of been more clear but I meant did it come from ETD BTS footage or just a still image. :)

That could be a video capture from footage?, George Tan said there are a lot of Bruce Lee stills that are sourced from footage rather than a stills camera. According to Andre Morgan, that scene with Angela Mao was filmed in the Golden Harvest canteen, where they all used to go for breakfast befor filming.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

George Tan said there are a lot of Bruce Lee stills that are sourced from footage rather than a stills camera. According to Andre Morgan, that scene with Angela Mao was filmed in the Golden Harvest canteen, where they all used to go for breakfast befor filming.

Cheers for the info.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

index.jpg.830b44c3e163fd5e0c982d3197eb9eda.jpg

Also how did the makers of Tower of God (GOD2) get their hands on ETD deleted scenes? Didn't WB own it?

Who is it who holds the clap ?

• Like 4

23 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

There was footage owned by both companies, maybe Warner Brothers are the reason why Golden Harvest didnt use more Enter the Dragon outtakes?. Other members of this forum have shared more information about this subject, in previous posts in this thread.

• Like 3

Does anyone think that the original Taiwaense theatrical release version of Fist of Fury had the rumoured alternative ending. Where Chen Zhens character leaps over the wall evading death at the hands of the shooting party?.

• Like 4

On 1/8/2023 at 12:59 PM, DragonClaws said:

Thats right, did he have a brief scene in the movie as a return favour for doubling for the star?. He appears during one of the banquet scenes when Han's character makes his entrance, but you dont see his character fight?.

I believe Yuen Wah was also included in "the battle with the guards"; if memory serves me correctly, I think he attacks Bruce & gets thrown just before Jackie grabs Bruce from behind (Wah took a pretty spectacular, acrobatic fall, in that scene, not something your average stunt guy could pull off). This is just speculation, but I'd guess Bruce would've brought Yuen Wah to Hollywood to double for him there, too, considering Wah's physique, size, & abilities Bruce wouldn't have been able to find a better double, particularly in the States.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Does anyone think that the original Taiwaense theatrical release version of Fist of Fury had the rumoured alternative ending. Where Chen Zhens character leaps over the wall evading death at the hands of the shooting party?.

Doesn't sound likely to me, not only would that go beyond fantasy to just plain silly, it also would've made Bruce's character look more like a coward than a hero. Also, when Bruce talked about this scene with Dan Lee in their recorded phone conversation he described the scene as being like the end of "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" in which the heroes go down in a blaze of glory to the bullets of their enemies, in another freeze framed ending, no alternate version was mentioned. Where did you hear of such an ending?

• Like 3