The Cutting Room Floor: Lost, Censored & Deleted Bruce Lee Movie Scenes (Article)

DragonClaws

On 12/2/2019 at 11:00 PM, ShawAngela said:

Regarding  Shih Kien's daughters in Enter the dragon, it seemed to me that John Saxon fought with them, or am I mistaken ?

One shakes his hand then performs a Judo style throw on him.

Regarding The big boss, I saw several clips showing Bruce Lee lying on Han Ying Chieh's body in the final fight, but I don't  remember this scene. I only remember that he slapped the body again and again until the police arrives.

It's suprising how different versions there are, of just the standard international cut.

Actually, I should  watch ALL my movies twice or thrice or even more, just to be sure that I didn't miss any details!🤣

Some movies I got to watch a lot during my time growing up, and the Bruce Lee fims were among them. I havent watched them in their entirety, since purchasing the U.K Blu-Ray boxset a couple of years ago. You can sometimes watch a movie dozens of times, only for a first time viewer to point something new out. Someone can always come in with a different perspective.

What a superb and interesting thread !!

I spent almost the whole afternoon reading it and watching the various clips and I discovered a lot of things that I wasn't aware of !!

Really glad you enjoyed it @ShawAngela, I created the article/thread for all us fan's outthere. Wether you just read the forums or post/contribute to them it doesnt matter.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:17 AM, Coliseum1972 said:

Who knows , there might be a full copy in perhaps Lebanon or Egypt , most people there cant speak english and might not know about any missing scenes (then again they prolly censored 2nd prostitute , arabic countries might not allow such scenes).......Its weird but i couldve sworn i saw BB with the key hole scene on vhs in the 80s , it sounds so familiar somehow ?

There might be a longer version in these countires, that might miss out other scenes available in different prints. Like I said earlier in the thread, conveniet how some trialers from certain countries just dont appear online. It wouldnt surprse me if we got an official release, that still missing some scenes. Just so they can release it again in another fifty year's. It sounds like the longer print Steve Kerridge has, is missing some violence due to the H.K censor's dirty work in the early 70's.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

It sounds like the longer print Steve Kerridge has, is missing some violence due to the H.K censor's dirty work in the early 70's.

Steve Kerridge has confirmed that he does not own an uncut print of The Big Boss.

Personally, I think Steve knows the identity of the 'private collector' that owns an uncut 35mm print of the film. I think the reason that he refuses to reveal the identity of the collector is because the print is stolen property. 

Apparently the print that was shown at the Kilburn convention in 1979 was never returned to Cathay. It ended up in the hands of at least one private collector as the names of three people that were supposedly involved are known.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fabhui said:

Personally, I think Steve knows the identity of the 'private collector' that owns an uncut 35mm print of the film. I think the reason that he refuses to reveal the identity of the collector is because the print is stolen property. 

You also have to consider the Bruce Lee Estate probably wont just want people screening these rarer print's?. This would undermine any kind of Offical release for it. Or maybe some collectors just want too much for the rarer prints, that even the Estate doesnt want to cough up the money ask for them?. Not when it's easier to sell BL Trainers and T-Shirts online.

1 hour ago, fabhui said:

Apparently the print that was shown at the Kilburn convention in 1979 was never returned to Cathay. It ended up in the hands of at least one private collector as the names of three people that were supposedly involved are known.

Who are three three people supposdly invovled the stroy of this rare print?, did the same people buy up all the film reels used that day?.

Off the places the rare Manderin print was screened, it was Kilburn London. Also the site of The WHO's final gig as the original line-up. Anyway, getting back on topic. I'd like to have seen the prints they screened of FOF & WOTD too. To see if there were any minor differences between those 35mm prints and the current versions available to the public?. Not just in terms of footage, but for any possible audio/soundtrack changes.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

You also have to consider the Bruce Lee Estate probably wont just want people screening these rarer print's?. This would undermine any kind of Offical release for it. Or maybe some collectors just want too much for the rarer prints, that even the Estate doesnt want to cough up the money ask for them?. Not when it's easier to sell BL Trainers and T-Shirts online.

I don't think that the estate has much of a say when it comes to the screening and releases of Bruce Lee's movies as they don't own the copyrights etc. Plus when it comes to anything resembling quality when it comes to Bruce or his martial art of Jeet Kune Do the Estate are severely lacking and don't seem to have a clue or even care!

Maybe the collectors that have it do want too much money for the print or maybe they have absolutely no interest in letting anyone have it or see it?  Kind of like the Japanese collectors that own footage that'll never see the light of day like the behind the scenes footage from Way of the Dragon.

Who are three three people supposdly invovled the stroy of this rare print?, did the same people buy up all the film reels used that day?.

I was told about the three people involved (but not their names) by someone that has been obsessed and digging into this for decades (you will know who he is) but for obvious reasons he doesn't want the names of the individuals out there. He did say that they are very serious collectors here in the UK. 
I also asked the question if they got the reels of the other films shown that day but he didn't know whether they did or didn't.

I was also told the name of an individual believed to be involved but I can't say who as my information could be regarded as little more than a rumor.

Off the places the rare Manderin print was screened, it was Kilburn London. Also the site of The WHO's final gig as the original line-up. Anyway, getting back on topic. I'd like to have seen the prints they screened of FOF & WOTD too. To see if there were any minor differences between those 35mm prints and the current versions available to the public?. Not just in terms of footage, but for any possible audio/soundtrack changes.

I'm still pretty amazed that an uncut print hasn't turned up after all these years.  If private collectors own copies then they are EXTREMELY good at keeping it a secret.  Besides the uncut print that played at the Kilburn convention, what happened to all the uncut prints that were being shown in Chinatowns throughout the UK, USA etc 7 years or so earlier??  Did they get destroyed because they were too badly damaged to carry on being run or are they languishing in vaults or storage somewhere?  According to Bey Logan there was no uncut print of the movie in the vaults at Golden Harvest.

I've been told that the print of FOF they screened was missing some footage but I don't know what and I doubt it would be anything that we haven't already seen.

Edited by fabhui
  • Like 2

shukocarl1441996347

I was at the screening. The other prints were the usual mandarin dubs except FOF was missing a few minutes, If I remember rightly it was the fight between Lee and Feng Yi (Yoshida) with the sword.

I don't know if anyone ever checked the RANK DISTRIBUTORS film prints as the only known COLOUR print of The Orphan was found in their possession. In a phone call with Dan Lee, Bruce told him that The Big Boss was being picked up by RANK. Maybe they stored prints for CATHAY who eventually put it out in the UK...did an early one get stored there?

• Like 2

On 12/4/2019 at 1:27 PM, fabhui said:

Maybe the collectors that have it do want too much money for the print or maybe they have absolutely no interest in letting anyone have it or see it?  Kind of like the Japanese collectors that own footage that'll never see the light of day like the behind the scenes footage from Way of the Dragon.

Hi @fabhui, I understand why some people might not want to share there rare footage. If I was to post a handful of pictures, from any publicly un-released footage. Before handing it to the wider fans base, to enjoy themselves. I'm sure I would be shunned from the private collecting circles, becuase I shared the content?. Who would trade rare WOTD outakes with you?, if you've gone and put the stuff online. Which stops it being the held at the whim of other people. The Japanese fans who were rich enough, got to see most of the rare G.O.D footage long before the rest of us did. I never attended such screening/conventons events in Hong Kong, but it must have been a hefty price for a ticket?.

I was told about the three people involved (but not their names) by someone that has been obsessed and digging into this for decades (you will know who he is) but for obvious reasons he doesn't want the names of the individuals out there. He did say that they are very serious collectors here in the UK. 
I also asked the question if they got the reels of the other films shown that day but he didn't know whether they did or didn't.

I was also told the name of an individual believed to be involved but I can't say who as my information could be regarded as little more than a rumor.

Sounds like a case for Columbo.

I'm still pretty amazed that an uncut print hasn't turned up after all these years.  If private collectors own copies then they are EXTREMELY good at keeping it a secret.  Besides the uncut print that played at the Kilburn convention, what happened to all the uncut prints that were being shown in Chinatowns throughout the UK, USA etc 7 years or so earlier??  Did they get destroyed because they were too badly damaged to carry on being run or are they languishing in vaults or storage somewhere?  According to Bey Logan there was no uncut print of the movie in the vaults at Golden Harvest.

If there was big money to be made, one of the longer versions would have surfaced by now. Good point, abut these films were being screened UNCUT in U.K/U.S Chinatowns. Long before they even began their first run in English language cinemas. If you collected films prints, you must at least had the capacity to store them correctly. Otherwise you'd just end up with rotten mouldy films reels that are no use for anything. A bit like buying an expensive collection of vintage cars, only to let them rust in the rain.

On 12/4/2019 at 3:26 PM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I was at the screening. The other prints were the usual mandarin dubs except FOF was missing a few minutes, If I remember rightly it was the fight between Lee and Feng Yi (Yoshida) with the sword.

Hi @shukocarl1441996347, good to see you back on the forums again and thank's for your input its most appreciaited.

On 12/4/2019 at 3:26 PM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I don't know if anyone ever checked the RANK DISTRIBUTORS film prints as the only known COLOUR print of The Orphan was found in their possession. In a phone call with Dan Lee, Bruce told him that The Big Boss was being picked up by RANK. Maybe they stored prints for CATHAY who eventually put it out in the UK...did an early one get stored there?

This sounds like a great idea, but I'm guessing many of the private collectors have already covered any of these bases?. Look at the Kung Fu trailers un-earthed from under the stage of old U.K Cinema/Theatre. Now when these films screened locally where I live, there were often multiple small cinemas screening these films. The modern mutiplex business model for cinemas, hadnt come into play yet.

When places like these closed across the country, and other cinemas like them around the world. A lot of film reels must have been thrown in the bin. However, this just cant be the case for every film once in the posession of cinmea patrons. Their must have been more savvy collectors or fans who saw a chance to own one of these films on 35mm?. Rather than just one person having a single copy to themselves, which I don't think is the case anyway.

The Rank U.K Pre-Cert release, from the early 1980's.

BL3187.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I don't know if anyone ever checked the RANK DISTRIBUTORS film prints as the only known COLOUR print of The Orphan was found in their possession. 

Is this the print that the HK Film Archive now owns or is it the copy that belongs to the 'business man' that has no interest in selling it?

I'm surprised that more prints haven't been struck from the negative. I'm also surprised that blu ray labels like Eureka, Criterion etc haven't shown any interest in trying to release it, especially as it is considered to be one of the true classics from Hong Kong's 'Golden Era'.

11 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @fabhui.

I understand why some people might not want to share there rare footage. If I was to post a handful of pictures, from any publicly un-released footage. Before handing it to the wider fans base, to enjoy themselves. I'm sure I would be shunned from the private collecting circles, becuase I shared the content?. Who would trade rare WOTD outakes with you?, if you've gone and put the stuff online. Which stops it being the held at the whim of other people. The Japanese fans who were rich enough, got to see most of the rare G.O.D footage long before the rest of us did. I never attended such screening/conventons events in Hong Kong, but it must have been a hefty price for a ticket?

There's plenty of rare footage that will never see the light of day that has been brought by private collectors or circulates within a small hardcore group of collectors.  There's the behind the scenes footage from WOTD, behind the scenes colour footage from GAME, Bruce teaching at the LA Chinatown school etc.

Jesse Glover when he was alive also told me and a group of other people that Linda is sitting on a tonne of footage of Bruce training and teaching and that she has absolutely no interest in sharing or selling it.

11 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Sounds like a case for Columbo, and an area full or Chinese whisper's, ego and hearsay.

I agree. The only reason I'm inclined to believe the person who told me this is because he had to do a lot of digging to get the information, he's a credible source and he himself believes it to be true. HOWEVER....whether the story is true or not, the rest of us are never going to see this particular print so it doesn't matter either way.

One other thing I remembered. Will Johnston made an audio recording of the uncut print of The Big Boss that played that day in Kilburn which he also refuses to share!!

• Like 2

I'm also surprised that blu ray labels like Eureka, Criterion etc haven't shown any interest in trying to release it, especially as it is considered to be one of the true classics from Hong Kong's 'Golden Era'.

Hi @fabhui

The rights holders make enough money from re-issuing the same version again and again. Less so maybe post 2000, due to Piracy and being able to just view the films on sites like YouTube. They might not want the hassle invovled with seeking out the longer cuts?, especially when it will only end up on Torrent sites. Just like when fans steal somebodys custom releases. Waiting for another person to put in all the hard work and effort, which they themvles cant do. Then snatch it and claim it as their to sell for profit.

There's plenty of rare footage that will never see the light of day that has been brought by private collectors or circulates within a small hardcore group of collectors.  There's the behind the scenes footage from WOTD, behind the scenes colour footage from GAME, Bruce teaching at the LA Chinatown school etc. 

Jesse Glover when he was alive also told me and a group of other people that Linda is sitting on a tonne of footage of Bruce training and teaching and that she has absolutely no interest in sharing or selling it. 

This I can believe, Linda Lee has help keep the market going by releasing very little footage/images when you really look at it. She might want leave that material for both Shannon and her Grand daughter, to profit from in the future. That's if there are enough fans to profit from in fifteen years time. By keeping stuff held back either intentionally or by lack of caring, it keeps fans chasing the elusive things/subjects that come up.

I agree. The only reason I'm inclined to believe the person who told me this is because he had to do a lot of digging to get the information, he's a credible source and he himself believes it to be true. HOWEVER....whether the story is true or not, the rest of us are never going to see this particular print so it doesn't matter either way.

One other thing I remembered. Will Johnston made an audio recording of the uncut print of The Big Boss that played that day in Kilburn which he also refuses to share!!

There will be a reason for the audio recording not receiving any kind of public release online. Though I'm sure this has been exposed to fans who are in the right cliques/circles of collectors. It would only help to clarify what version was shown in 1979, something fans have done anyway pretty well anyway. I consider myself a fan, but would I be fanatical enough to listen to an entire audio recording of a film?.

I recall reading that Steve Kerridge and Will Johnston both have different stories about the 79 screening. Kerridge says the scene wasnt in the print, Will Johnston says it was. Now all he had to do was release the audio for said section of the film, and it would just solve the argument. Two big collectors with two very different views on the same event. It's shows how easily it can get confusing, when there's conflicting stories from key witness's. The term key witness, making this sound like some kind of crime invesitgation.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

CharlieParker

The argument about torrent sites destroying the market really is nonsense. Most of the die-hard fans who use torrent sites ALSO buy the legit releases. Their number one customers are the very people using torrent sites. There are studies about this, although I don't think a study is needed when it really is so obvious. Torrent sites or file sharing is more about sharing the films which aren't available or may never be available (for various reasons) Or versions which are better than the official releases... They actually provide a valuable service and have helped drag many a film out of total obscurity. 

The average household (generally speaking) has a whopping 7 or 8 DVDs/Blurays and not much more. Now tell me the average kung-fu fan has the same amount? Or horror fan for that matter, etc.. Even after relocating to a different country and selling off my entire collection (2-3000 discs, legit ones) well over a decade ago, I 'still' have about 2-300 discs in a box downstairs. Every collector I've ever met and visited has a wall dedicated to their favourite types of cult movies, horror, kung-fu, etc... I mean an entire wall. I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone I met who didn't.  

Why we don't see more alternate versions of these films popping up out the archives is more about the materials not being available or not good enough. Most cult movie labels are usually run by people who would like to see these versions unearthed just like the rest of us - but they also have profit margins and getting a print in good shape isn't always so easy - especially anything printed on older film stock which has a nasty habit of turning magenta = anything pre 1980s if I'm not mistaken - this means restoration work and the prices I've seen floating about over the years are up and down like a yo-yo. Some charge a few thousand, others charge tens of thousands. It costs somewhere in the region of 10,000 - 20,000 euros to get a disc released after the mastering/rights/packaging/etc is all factored in. And then you have to contend with the archives... and most have to settle with what they're given.

The bottom line - it isn't about piracy - it's about costs and availability. Mostly availability - and this is why I find it hard to believe anyone genuinely has a longer version of, say, 'The Big Boss' - if they did then they'd make a small fortune. So, unless they're filthy rich, then it makes no sense to just sit on it.

Edited by CharlieParker
  • Like 3

CharlieParker

Back in the early 1990s a couple of tape trading friends used to import tapes from S. L. Video in Singapore - these were out and-out-bootlegs: some of you may remember them with their distinctly poor quality, usually cropped and blurry (actual) photo of the film poster slapped onto the paper sleeve. Some were even signed by the Singapore censor board!?! (I still have one left, 'The Iceman Cometh' - this is the tape we got their address from initially so I've always kept it for nostalgic reasons) These are not to be confused with the far more official Long Shong VHS releases also from Taiwan.

What we never really noticed at the time, unless it was really obvious, is that these prints often contained slightly longer versions of the films compared to the official release. The first one we all noticed straight away was 'Once Upon a Time in China 2' with the repeated fight scene from part 1. Some of these versions are well documented here in the 'alternate versions of HK films thread' (a thoroughly excellent resource for these kinds of things) 

I remember I always had mixed feelings about these tapes at the time - On the one hand, we had films way before the official release date, but they were Mandarin dubbed - and I was always used to Cantonese, for me it was always the 'original language'. I still think it is. So, they were good at first and then they'd be upgraded to the Cantonese version when they were released officially in HK - and this is precisely why myself and everyone I traded with never kept them. Quality was also very hit/miss as they were essentially films recorded on a video camera in a cinema (or possibly the world's worst telecine set up) and always a far cry from Laserdisc or an official HK VHS.

My rather long-winded point is that if this practice of HK movies getting their premiere (or test-screening) was in Taiwan, where these SL tapes were recorded before popping up in Singapore, then surely that would be the best place to look. Has anyone ever checked in the Taiwan national film archives? (I guess they do have one, right?) It's a very long shot because I don't know if HK films did premiere there first in the early 1970s or if it started much later? All we know for sure is that in the late 1980s/early 1990s that was definitely the case.  We also don't know if they stored prints, but it's worth bearing in mind that many countries have a policy of retaining one copy of every film that plays in that country in their archives - and have done for decades. France, UK, Italy, USA all spring to mind but I'm sure there are many others, maybe even Taiwan?

Rather than speculate about whether someone does or doesn't have a copy (I'm always sceptical of these stories - seeing is believing) I think it would be more productive to get people actually doing the groundwork and gaining access to archives (not easy, but not impossible) The even longer shot would be 35mm collectors in Taiwan - but given the costs of prints, size of the reels, etc... not likely but I still wouldn't rule it out completely. 35mm collectors are often people involved in distribution/labs where the prints have passed through.

If there is a longer version of 'The Big Boss' out there then my guess right now is that it's decomposing somewhere and the owners don't know what they have... or it's sitting in an archive and they also don't know what they have.

(A few seconds later...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_Film_Institute

If there's anyone reading this in Taiwan it may be worth paying them a visit in person. From experience, it makes a big difference going there rather than calling or emailing. A lot of these places are usually government funded so the staff are often civil service employees who just happen to work there - in short, they may not care enough or take you seriously enough to bother looking. It's a lot easier to just say "no" rather than go rummaging around a very large room filled with thirty or forty-year-old rusted metal cans. Very often, going there in person and establishing a direct contact is the only way to really be sure... it also shows true dedication! :)

"The film institute also holds film preservation with other institute outside Taiwan"  Which could mean that some of their prints are stored in other archives - not necessarily in Taiwan. Another avenue to explore if someone can establish contact.

Given the historical importance of 'The Big Boss' I'd say it's a safe bet they do have a copy (or even multiple copies) but the big question is which one?

And the good news is that these kinds of places don't sell off their prints to to the highest bidder, so there's no danger of someone snapping it up down the line. I honestly think a lot of us would just be happy knowing a longer print does indeed exist at this point. The finer details of ever being able to see it can be ironed out later :)

(secretly runs off to book a one-way ticket to Taiwan and purchases a 100-ton cast iron safe and nuclear bunker to stash print in and live like a hermit...)

Edited by CharlieParker
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, CharlieParker said:

The bottom line - it isn't about piracy - it's about costs and availability. Mostly availability - and this is why I find it hard to believe anyone genuinely has a longer version of, say, 'The Big Boss' - if they did then they'd make a small fortune. So, unless they're filthy rich, then it makes no sense to just sit on it.

Hi @CharlieParker and welcome to the discussion.

Here's a quote from a Martial Art's Illustrated article, concerning one possible explanation for why the longer print is still not in public circulation?.

Presumebly due to copyright issues, it remains unknown when the original version of The Big Boss will see a release. - The Big Boss: The Film That Made The Action - Andrew Staton (2016)

7 hours ago, CharlieParker said:

Has anyone ever checked in the Taiwan national film archives? (I guess they do have one, right?) It's a very long shot because I don't know if HK films did premiere there first in the early 1970s or if it started much later? All we know for sure is that in the late 1980s/early 1990s that was definitely the case.  We also don't know if they stored prints, but it's worth bearing in mind that many countries have a policy of retaining one copy of every film that plays in that country in their archives - and have done for decades. France, UK, Italy, USA all spring to mind but I'm sure there are many others, maybe even Taiwan?

You make some vey good points here too, searching the Taiwanese Film Archive's sounds like a great idea. Not just in terms of searching for rare BL related material, but other Old School Kung Fu movie materials.

Rather than speculate about whether someone does or doesn't have a copy (I'm always sceptical of these stories - seeing is believing) I think it would be more productive to get people actually doing the groundwork and gaining access to archives (not easy, but not impossible) The even longer shot would be 35mm collectors in Taiwan - but given the costs of prints, size of the reels, etc... not likely but I still wouldn't rule it out completely. 35mm collectors are often people involved in distribution/labs where the prints have passed through.

You make another good point here in regardings to speculating about who owns what. If anyone's actively done a search for this rare print, they are not sharing anything online about it.

or it's sitting in an archive and they also don't know what they have. 

That's another strong possibility, someone could simply be un-aware of what they have in their possession.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

CharlieParker

Does anyone here either live or know anyone in Taiwan? That would be the first step

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if nobody has thought to look there (yet)

Edited by CharlieParker
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 7:21 PM, DragonClaws said:

- An alternative take of the final sequence, note the three cut's to Mr Lee's left leg. Confirming there was some fight footage cut from the Hall of Mirrors by Warne Brother's. Lee walks down the step's, to greet his friend Roper(John Saxon) and inspect the carnage. I think Bruce and Roper are looking at Tanya(Ahna Capri) body?. In the last picture on the far right below. Only John Saxon has been cropped out, of this particular version of the photo.

image.png

Update: I've added the above images/TxT to the main article.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

There are many colour and black and white proudction still's of actress Betty Chung, freeing the male prisoners in Enter The Dragon. It's certainly one of the more commonly talked about deleted scenes. The stills have circulated both online and in books/magazines, for the past twenty or so year's. However, did she go onto free the women, who were locked up in the caverns too?. The ones Han used for testing his opium on, when they were not being sold or used as slaves. Or did she free those before knocking out Lam Ching-Ying's guard?.

What are your opinions on these scenes?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Question (sorry if it has already been mentioned, but I don't have time to read again the 12 pages of this thread...) : how long is the longer running time of Fist of fury and in which release, please ?

I just came across a blu ray with a 160mn running time mentioned...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

how long is the longer running time of Fist of fury and in which release, please ?

All releases of Fist of Fury are virtually the same, at least in terms of runtime. The soundtrack variations are a whole other topic themselves. Unless you want a version with a particular soundtrack, I wouldnt worry about it too much.

26 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I just came across a blu ray with a 160mn running time mentioned...

Pick up the release you prefer, there's never been a version released with any extra scenes, at least not officially.

Which version are you planning to buy?.

• Like 1

I'm not planning to buy it at this moment, the wallet is too flat...:bs_smile:

I already have the 30th Anniversary HKVideo boxset dvd, with 6 dvds (I think that the 6th one is Bruce Lee, the Legend), and the 40th Anniversary HKVideo boxset, with 7 dvds, the 7th one being Enter the dragon, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe one day, I'll finally pick some blu rays of his movies, but I don't know which one. The Japanese cover for Fist of fury is beautiful, and there are so many different releases with different features, that  I don't know which one to choose. I also have on my wishlist the 2 dvds Hong Kong Legends releases, the second dvd being full of extras and documentaries, but well...Money, money, always money...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I also have on my wishlist the 2 dvds Hong Kong Legends releases, the second dvd being full of extras and documentaries,

If you do decide to pick these up just get the 2-Disc edition, it contains all the extras featured on the first HKL release. I picked up the first HKL release when it first came out in 2001?.

• Like 2

Update: Just added some more information regarding cut Way of The Dragon scenes, to the main article. This information comes via an interview with actress Melissa Longo. I also have a similar excerpt from a different interview with the actress, taken from a Martial Art's Illustrated magazine special. Along with a few added Enter The Dragon tid-bit's.

Melissa Longo.

MV5BZDM0ZWJjOWMtYjcyMS00NTUzLTg4M2ItN2Fj

Melissa Longo(far right), in Rome with Nora Miao & Bruce Lee in a screen capture taken from Way of The Dragon.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

I some how managed to miss the following little detail, hats off to YouTube poster rubberduck1940. For posting the following video online, and pointing out the lady on the bike during the opening credits of Enter The Dragon. The only pictures currently available of her are in black and white, the footage reveals her outfit was actually yellow and black. With matching yellow and black goggles to boot and white flair's.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

The following video contains two clips, removed from the O'Hara/Mr Lee fight. Among other deleted ETD footage, thanks to KingofDragon2018 for sharing this online.

(Link Expired)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

The other difference although due to censorship was Bruce went out into the Garden through the Patio doors and then the dog runs out and attacks him. The whole creeping about in the Main Banquet room has nothing to do with the first night out or at least I think it is the second night out where he get’s captured because he goes a different way so as to avoid the German Shepard. and the footage of him going out the door into the corridor suited up with rope also suggests this is the case.

Source- https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Enter-the-Dragon/id/18025

387bd1026cb33c84bc33c8bcd1d57b9e.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Just added a picture from another missing Bruce Lee movie fight scene, taken from Enter The Dragon. Also added some minor touches to the ETD deleted scenes section. Along with a quote from an interview with David Tadman, regarding one of the cut Fist of Fury scenes. Mr Tadman goes on to say,  Brian White of Hong Kong Legends may have been the man to ask about a certain cut FOF scene. Anyone know how Brian White can be contacted?, or if he's still connected with the Martial Arts movie scene?. Please continue to get in touch with any suggestions/ideas or correction's.

Here's the quote I'm reffering to-

48/ In FOF in the end Bruce fights Suzuki in that fight Bruce kicked Suzuki in his face with his right leg, is that also a deleted scene ?

DT: This Iam not sure of, someone else like Wu Tang or Tan, etc. might know. Brian White at HKL would no more about this type of thing.

Chen Zhen get's out the guns, to fight his bitter enemy Mr Suzuki. In a capture taken from the climax of Fist of Fury(1972).

uyz2nnsjerg9hqhrlewe.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1