Unpopular opinion thread

Drunken Monk

One Armed Boxer
1 hour ago, 8DiagramAuntieFighter said:

Shaking & Crying right now. Mods delete this!!

I’m seriously considering it.:tongueout

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I’m seriously considering it.:tongueout

Know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna take back what I wrote, but I'll do it in such a lewd and vulgar way that it will have been easier to not have said anything in the first place. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

venomsreviews

I’m pretty sure this one is unpopular. I always felt that Sun Chien is underrated, and I was actually more impressed by his kicks than other stars like Hwang Jang Lee. He always had such a powerful presence, and I thought that his fight scenes were a lot more entertaining.

I actually love Wei Pai. I thought he worked very well with the Venoms and brought another element to the films with his characters. He had a certain fierceness and dramatic nature to his characters, which I felt fit with the other Venoms’ acting styles in films like Five Deadly Venoms and Kid with the Golden Arm. He was always underrated and had more duality than I feel he got credit for. Especially in films like The Cheeky Chap and Last Hurrah for Chivalry.

The last one that I can think of at the moment is that I find Jet Li and many of his films to be overrated. I never found his movies to be that great, as many felt as if they were lacking something to me. Although I found Tai Chi Master and Fist of Legend to be the most enjoyable of his films because of Chin Siu-Ho.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, venomsreviews said:

I’m pretty sure this one is unpopular. I always felt that Sun Chien is underrated, and I was actually more impressed by his kicks than other stars like Hwang Jang Lee. He always had such a powerful presence, and I thought that his fight scenes were a lot more entertaining.

I actually love Wei Pai. I thought he worked very well with the Venoms and brought another element to the films with his characters. He had a certain fierceness and dramatic nature to his characters, which I felt fit with the other Venoms’ acting styles in films like Five Deadly Venoms and Kid with the Golden Arm. He was always underrated and had more duality than I feel he got credit for. Especially in films like The Cheeky Chap and Last Hurrah for Chivalry.

I applause your words !!

I don't know who is the best kicker between Sun Chien and Hwang Jang Lee, but it's a fact that Sun Chien is underrated and was underused in the Shaws' movies. He never had a leading role, even if he was among the Venoms and they were a lead all together, but in their movies, among them, there was always a lead, being often Kuo Chui.

I Love Wei Pai too, though I didn't like his character in The Cheeky Chap. Did you watch some of his series ?

I disagree a little bit regarding Jet Li, but to each his taste.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, venomsreviews said:

’m pretty sure this one is unpopular. I always felt that Sun Chien is underrated, and I was actually more impressed by his kicks than other stars like Hwang Jang Lee. He always had such a powerful presence, and I thought that his fight scenes were a lot more entertaining.

I too felt he was underrated and underused but I always felt his kicks weren’t as good as some of the other boot masters for me that accolade goes to Casanova,Hwang Jang Lee will always be lord of the leg but I prefer Casanovas style

• Like 3

HeavenSword

Wei Pai, Lo Meng & Sun Chien are underrated & more interesting Venoms than Phillip Kwok, Chiang Sheng & Lu Feng .

Armour Of God is one of Jackie’s worst movies. Too much bickering between Jackie & Alan Tam hurt that film . 

Ti Lung / Lo Lieh

Ti Lung / Wong Yu

Ti Lung / Fu Sheng

Ti Lung / Derek Yee………..all were a more better, interesting & at times funnier duo than Ti Lung / David Chiang. 

Boxer Rebellion & The Assassin are the best films from Chang Cheh.

Tiger On The Beat 2 is better than the first one .

• Like 3

venomsreviews
10 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I applause your words !!

I don't know who is the best kicker between Sun Chien and Hwang Jang Lee, but it's a fact that Sun Chien is underrated and was underused in the Shaws' movies. He never had a leading role, even if he was among the Venoms and they were a lead all together, but in their movies, among them, there was always a lead, being often Kuo Chui.

I Love Wei Pai too, though I didn't like his character in The Cheeky Chap. Did you watch some of his series ?

These are great points! I do wish that Sun Chien had gotten more leads, as I definitely enjoyed his acting. Outside of Venoms films, I was thoroughly impressed with him in movies like What Price Honesty? (1981) which I saw for the first time maybe a year ago. Even though later movies like Robo Vampire were quite different, to say the least, I still found him to be enjoyable!

I think his character in The Cheeky Chap is definitely one that you will probably either love or hate. I have seen some of the series he has been in! A lot of them were pretty good, in my opinion.

• Like 4

Jet Li's modern actioners are more entertaining than his period kung fu movies.

Bill Yuen's (Yuen Biao) last good movie during the Golden Age era was Kickboxer.

Project A 2 is better than the original.

Sammo Hung's kicking ability is underrated. He could kick just as good as everyone else beyond the abilities of the superkickers.

Chang Cheh was a hit-and-miss director. He could make good movies (The One-Armed SwordsmanThe Boxer from Shantung, Shaolin Temple) but also have painfully slow movies (Crippled AvengersThe Chinatown KidThe Five Deadly Venoms) on the side as well.

David Chiang was as good a director as he is an actor. Watch his late 1980s dramas, especially Silent Love.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 7

PandaPawPaw

The found GOD footage isn't that great. When it first came out I was all over it and it felt like the best thing ever but over time I found it more and more boring.

The 1st level has some awful nunchuck action and is quite cringey in places. Dan is cool though.

The 2nd level is probably the best but Ji Han-jae is kind of wooden.

The 3rd level is a bit of a mess. Kareem's kicks look awful and the whole lizard/red eyes feels so out of place. Also WTF is that vase scene!

Yeah I said it! Come at me bro! :tongueout

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 5:26 AM, PandaPawPaw said:

The found GOD footage isn't that great. When it first came out I was all over it and it felt like the best thing ever but over time I found it more and more boring.

The 1st level has some awful nunchuck action and is quite cringey in places. Dan is cool though.

The 2nd level is probably the best but Ji Han-jae is kind of wooden.

The 3rd level is a bit of a mess. Kareem's kicks look awful and the whole lizard/red eyes feels so out of place. Also WTF is that vase scene!

Yeah I said it! Come at me bro! :tongueout

Always thought GOD looked like test footage.  Never got the idea it was meant to be the final film.  The choreography is sloppy work.

• Like 3

I don’t know if this is unpopular but I imagine it is: Tiger Cage is a better film than Tiger Cage II. Also, Yuen Woo Ping’s action is much better when Donnie Yen doesn’t have a say in it. The action in In the Line of Duty 4 is much better than Tiger Cage II.

When it comes to Indiana Jones style Hong Kong action films, The Seventh Curse is much better than Armour of God.

• Like 3

legendarycurry

I love Super Inframan! Recently saw it for the first time and it is easily among my most favorite Shaw movies and possibly even in my personal top 250 movies ever.

Dragon Lord is more an interesting look at the transitional period between old school and new school JC choreography than it is an actually successfully entertaining (or even competently made) film. slightly above average, but just ( I elaborated on this for my old SC36 review from back in the day)

Dean Shek is funnier than anything in City Hunter (1993) except for the street fighter sequence in it.

Stephen Chow should have played Yip Man in Wilson Yip's series of films.

Stephen Chow's Fight Back To school 2 is way funnier than the first one.

Writing Kung Fu from Bolo is more impressive as a directorial debut (and better as an overall film technically in some ways) than say Fearless Hyena or Way of The Dragon. Writing Kung Fu went against the grain,it had a uniqueness in a time of endless Kung Fu comedies. It was darker, more philosophical with less cardboard caricature characters, and it was inventive in its choreography to boot. I may enjoy WOTD and FH more overal,l but I still stand by my statement. 
Jackie essentially made Drunken Master with emotions instead of drunken gods and Bruce made a mishmash of Big Boss and Fist of Fury with a lighter tone. Neither of these two made quite something soat the time different and with an identity all its own as Bolo managed to do his first time as a director. He didn't rest on previous success or adhere to popular timely formula ( He could have made a drunken master ripoff, an enter the dragon clone etc etc) seriously need to up my score for that film i feel and revisit it someday soon.

Story Of Ricky is the most faithful live-action adaptation of a Japanese manga ever (or even comic book, until Sin City came out years later I'd say).

The Crow is the only Brandon Lee starring movie where he got to really carve out his own onscreen skills and career profile/persona, it is also possibly his only genuinely good movie.

Rapid Fire is overly filled with tributes and references to his dad and his admiration for Jackie Chan, and Legacy of Rage is a crappy heroic bloodshed/melodrama film where the shadow of his father looms over everything. Showdown in Little Tokyo is entertaining but he is basically second-fiddle to Lundgren and he doesn't really stand out too much.

Donnie Yen is a shitty director of film and an oftentimes uneven and overtly self-referential choreographer in my opinion. Not to say he isn't talented or anything, great screen fighter. Also his Chen Zhen portrayal is embarrassing Bruceploitation level aping.

I genuinely like Sammo and Wong Kar Wai's collaboration in Ashes of Time. suits that films atmosphere and subject matter perfectly.

Tsui Hark's The Blade is  kinda ass (Yeah i said it) My best word for it is "overambitious" but in a bad " I was supposed to make a cupcake but I made a car instead" type of way.

Each of the first three Once Upon A Time In China movies are equally as good but in different ways. yes, Including part 3.

Enter the Eagles proves that Shannon Lee deserved better AND that she worked better in Hong Kong action films than Brandon.

Shaolin Wooden Men only has two good scenes (The opening and the final gauntlet/test) a 5/10 at best.

Intimate Confessions Of A Chinese Courtesan is the longest 87 minute movie I have seen in my life probably. Made me doubt Chor Yuen's directorial skill to be honest.

Naked Killer is OK, just OK.

I prefer the Paper Marriage Mall Brawl over The Police Story one

I like jet Li's The One, the fighting styles of the two opposing Jet's feels like the two bros from Tai Chi master going at in the modern age with less wires (poorly explained I know)

Tai Chi Master is a wonderful film, just a shame that the "followup":

Tai Chi 2 AKA Tai Chi Boxer is terrible, Yuen Woo Ping's worst film, at least until the Crouching Tiger sequel came out.

Having chemistry with Donnie Yen in a movie is like outshining Jackie Chan in a Police Story movie, only Michelle Yeoh can do it (sometimes)

Pantyhose Hero isn't funny (The action scenes slap though)

Tiger On Beat is a disappointment and a very weak offering from the venerable Master Lau

I refuse to watch any of the original 3 Lucky stars films without the classic English dubbing (less an opinion more a statement, In usually prefer Cantonese 99% of the time though) Hence why I haven't seen them in so long. gotta get me that collection from 88 or Eureka or whomever.

People who think Amsterdam Connection is a good movie might  be aliens in disguise (This last ones a joke, I hope)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I don’t know if this is unpopular but I imagine it is: Tiger Cage is a better film than Tiger Cage II. Also, Yuen Woo Ping’s action is much better when Donnie Yen doesn’t have a say in it. The action in In the Line of Duty 4 is much better than Tiger Cage II.

When it comes to Indiana Jones style Hong Kong action films, The Seventh Curse is much better than Armour of God.

Always preferred the first Tiger Cage.  And Yuen Woo Ping was always better for Donnie than Donnie was for himself.  Also, Seventh Curse rules.  Only thing I like about Armour of God is the final 20 minutes and The Wynners re-enactment spoof.

• Like 1

legendarycurry
57 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Ohh I love Armor of God and I really wanna see Seventh Curse! I agree that as a crime film the first Tiger Cage film is better, but not as an action film/action comedy imho. and yes ITLOD4 has better fights overall than Tiger cage 2 even if I love both.

• Like 1

legendarycurry

I don't know if this qualifies, but it is my opinion that this is one of the very best threads on the entire forum :) You learn a lot about others and yourself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

legendarycurry

Oh I just keep thinking of more and more:

Better Tomorrow 3 is better than Better Tomorrow 2

Jackie is the overall worst actor and least exciting screen fighter  among the three dragons.

It's not a Venoms film if Chiang Sheng and Phillip Kwok aren't in it

Kid With The Golden Arm is better than 5 Deadly Venoms, in fact most Venoms films are better than 5 Deadly Venoms.

House Of Traps sucks

Boys Are Easy is  hilarious. I sometimes start singing the often deleted "Bowling" song for the fun of it. possibly the best wong Jing directed movie and the only one he has directed that I've that has jokes that truly land for me. speaking of Wong Jing movies:

God of Gamblers is overrated and Magic Crystal has underrated action scenes

• Like 1

Fist of Fury has some stupid moments. The main one being the rickshaw scene. It's so dumb and out of place. Also the stupid faces BL pulls while eating in front of the camp fire. So annoying.

• Like 3

legendarycurry
23 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Fist of Fury has some stupid moments. The main one being the rickshaw scene. It's so dumb and out of place. Also the stupid faces BL pulls while eating in front of the camp fire. So annoying.

It also has the "Katana lands on someone after being tossed in the air and it impales them"  scene.I bet 10 Bison dollars that scene was not Bruce Lee's concept.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, dionbrother said:

And Yuen Woo Ping was always better for Donnie than Donnie was for himself.

I would've agreed with this statement 3 decades ago but not now. Woo Ping hasn't evolved since the mid 2000s, and has since then gone through the motion repeating his choreography more or less. The last two Ip Man movies are good, and pretty much the only noteworthy work from him as of late. But even those are peanuts compared to Donnie action directing output between 2005 and now. Donnie has evolved to the point that he can create on his own.

• Like 3

legendarycurry
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Whaaaaaaaat ?! It's one of my favorite movies ! :)

I'm gonna give it a rewatch someday  now after having found this out :D

3 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

I bet 10 Bison dollars that scene was not Bruce Lee's concept.

£50 !!! You raving lunatic !!! LOL It is dumb, but I think it gets away with it for the spectacle.

• Like 2