Unpopular opinion thread

Drunken Monk

ShaolinMapache

Choreography involving wires can take just as much skill as choreography sans wires. Sometimes wires can make a fight scene more entertaining even. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ShaolinMapache said:

Choreography involving wires can take just as much skill as choreography sans wires. Sometimes wires can make a fight scene more entertaining even. 

Here, here!

1 hour ago, ShaolinMapache said:

This is true but it annoys the hell outta me when certain practioners can do stuff without the aid of wires yet they are still on one.For instance S.P.L.2 finale you have Max Zhang,Wu Jing And Tony Jaa all capable Martial artists yet they’re flying around like some characters from the  marvel films.Even to perform basic kicks they were on wires and that winds me up.It has its place but for me less is more.

Edited by sym8
  • Like 6

Graeme Of Death
4 hours ago, ShaolinMapache said:

Going to half agree with that one. It takes as much skill to choreograph it but takes far less talent to perform most of it.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, sym8 said:

but for me less is more.

As far as wires are concerned, amen.

Also applies to CGI

• Like 3

venom10463

Don the Dragon Wilson is a terrible onscreen fighter.

One Armed Swordsman is good, not great. I never understood why it's considered a classic.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a snore fest. I can't believe it was the film that revitalized the kung fu genre.

I'm going to go off on a tangent in... 3,2,1.

Michael B Jordan acting in Black Panther was atrocious.

The best Avengers films are the last two. The rest are mediocre.

• Like 4

I love Jackie and Sammo's output in the late 70s, the 80s and early 90s but they get way too much credit for their achievements. They changed the game after Bruce Lee's death, that's for sure. The replay value of their action scenes remains high to this day but their creativity saw little evolution with their styles remaining the same more or less.

The Raid movies are extremely overrated. The kitchen fight scene in part 2 the best fight scene ever made?! :rofl Iko Uwais is a great MA actor in his own right but he's channeling the best of Jackie, Jet, Tony, and Donnie in his fight scenes and gives his own spin to it. Nothing unique to see.

I prefer A Better Tomorrow over The Killer and even Hard-Boiled.

The Equalizer 2 is actually better than many naysayers' say about it, offering more of the same good ingredients from the original.

Daniel Craig is the best Bond actor since Sean Connery, outdoing everyone else.

Batman Begins is better than The Dark Knight Rises. Batman starting his crime fighting was more interesting than him ending it (the conclusion was great too, mind you).

Edited by DiP
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, DiP said:

The Equalizer 2 is actually better than many naysayers' say about it, offering more of the same good ingredients from the original.

Oh man, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loved this movie. I liked it better than the first movie. I'm a huge fan of the original TV show, it's one of my favorite shows. I think this movie reflected more of the coldness from Edward Woodward's portrayal and it was great seeing more JKD Concepts being used. I remember seeing this on opening night and the whole theater was wowed when the first fight scene came up and the end of the movie. It's so great being in such an energetic theater, says a lot about the movie shown.

• Like 4

On 5/7/2020 at 11:55 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Enter the Fat Dragon (the Sammo original) is crap. Also, Pedicab Driver isn't the classic many fans make it out to be. Both films have stellar action but everything else is mostly boring.

I fail to see how any Kung fu fan with a heart isn’t captivated by PEDICAB DRIVER, one of the greatest period Kung fu romantic tragicomedies of all time. Everything just clicks perfectly — plot-wise, character-wise, and especially choreography-wise. It’s an absolute disgrace that we still don’t have a worthy release of this ridiculously neglected classic.

• Like 4

Tex Killer
11 hours ago, venom10463 said:

One Armed Swordsman is good, not great. I never understood why it's considered a classic.

That is "fact". Golden Swallow, Assassin, Return of OAS, trail of broken blade and Sword of swords are all better movies with more revisit value.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 1:31 PM, Graeme Of Death said:

Donnie Yen, Jet Li as much as I enjoy some of their films have no right be considered in the same league as Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao.

Donnie Yen and Jet Li are incredibly skilled martial artists and fine actors as well, and have proved it repeatedly onscreen and off, so I’m not sure why they wouldn’t have a right to be considered in the same league as our beloved Three Brothers. I mean, overall I prefer the films of the Brothers, but I certainly wouldn’t suggest that Donnie and Jet aren’t in their league as martial artists and actors. That’s just silliness.

• Like 6

It seems I’m not alone in my overall dislike for CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON. I watched it and thought, this is what all the fuss is about? Love Chow and Michelle and Cheng Pei-pei, but the looooooong subplot about the incredibly annoying Jen and her incredibly annoying warrior boyfriend stops the film dead, and even the good parts aren’t as good as anything in ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA. Too damn somber, much too Merchant/Ivory. Plus, it stole much of its style and a whole entire scene or two from a Yuen Biao film called THE HERO OF SWALLOW (1996). Not nearly as revolutionary as the filmmakers would like you to think. And unlike Yuen’s film, I could never be bothered to own it.

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 2

Here’s a perfect unpopular opinion: I actually quite like DRUNKEN MONKEY (2003), and think it’s a refreshing throwback to the good old days before CGI-enhanced pop stars took over. Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but still a good film with great fight choreography, and a perfectly respectable swan song for the legendary Lau Kar-Leung; I’ll never understand the disdain for this one. I would gladly upgrade my DVD to Blu.

• Like 3

Graeme Of Death
2 hours ago, WaverBoy said:

Donnie Yen and Jet Li are incredibly skilled martial artists and fine actors as well, and have proved it repeatedly onscreen and off, so I’m not sure why they wouldn’t have a right to be considered in the same league as our beloved Three Brothers. I mean, overall I prefer the films of the Brothers, but I certainly wouldn’t suggest that Donnie and Jet aren’t in their league as martial artists and actors. That’s just silliness.

Not really, as I said as skilled as Donnie and Jet are they've never displayed anything close to the skills of Jackie, Yuen Biao and Sammo, in terms of on screen fights, choreography or stunts. 

Donnie Yen and Jet Li would have sat watching some of the classic displays from Jackie and Yuen Biao only wishing they were capable of the same.

• Confused 1

Acrobatics and stunts aren't part of fighting and just added stuff in between. Take that away then what Jackie/Sammo/Bill does aren't any different from what Jet and Donnie does. What can't be taken away though from each of them as individual skill set and personas, and all of these guys have displayed stuff that have come to inspire other MA actors from new generations.

• Like 6

DragonClaws
10 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

I'm a huge fan of the original TV show

I'm in the midde of re-visiting this show, Edward Woodward is one of my all time favourite stage/screen actor's.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I'm in the midde of re-visiting this show, Edward Woodward is one of my all time favourite stage/screen actor's.

Oh yess! His voice alone stands out so much. I'm not going to lie, I find it funny whenever McCall gets mad on screen. He really could go on a whole rant! 

All in all, this show deserves a proper remaster. I bought the boxset from the folks that did Martial Law and couldn't help but notice that the show was not preserved too well. Hopefully someone can restore the image and fix the audio. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Not really, as I said as skilled as Donnie and Jet are they've never displayed anything close to the skills of Jackie, Yuen Biao and Sammo, in terms of on screen fights, choreography or stunts. 

Donnie Yen and Jet Li would have sat watching some of the classic displays from Jackie and Yuen Biao only wishing they were capable of the same.

Gotta hand it to you, this is a real unpopular opinion. As real as it gets. 

Can't say I agree with you though. The fight between Donnie Yen and Wu Jing in SPL is one of the best on-screen fights ever put to screen (in my humble opinion) and was choreographed by Donnie Yen.

• Like 7

On 5/24/2020 at 2:07 AM, Graeme Of Death said:

That’s simply not true.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Gotta hand it to you, this is a real unpopular opinion. As real as it gets. 

Can't say I agree with you though. The fight between Donnie Yen and Wu Jing in SPL is one of the best on-screen fights ever put to screen (in my humble opinion) and was choreographed by Donnie Yen.

Quoted for truth.

• Like 4

Tex Killer
On 5/24/2020 at 9:31 AM, WaverBoy said:

It seems I’m not alone in my overall dislike for CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.

I agree 100% but this (and most other modern day made) MA flicks have one good thing. Usually acting/actors are at least good, sometimes better. There are some old skool flicks which are almost torture to watch because of bad actors, who then excels in fight scenes. Would save nerve and time to skip into action instantly but that is not way to watch movie first time...

With dialogue scenes I am ok with todays movies.

• Like 3

I never found Kara Hui all that sexy, even in her prime. I kinda think that Pops traded up when he married Mary Jean Reimer.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

megadurilicus

Both very beautiful but I kind of agree. I fell in love with Etsuko Shihomi first time I seen Sister Street Fighter wow I never seen a sexy ferocity like hers!

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

59 minutes ago, megadurilicus said:

I fell in love with Etsuko Shihomi first time I seen Sister Street Fighter wow I never seen a sexy ferocity like hers!

And she has aged extremely well on top of that.

• Like 4