Unpopular opinion thread

Drunken Monk

DragonClaws
13 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

"There is a point when a personal opinion shades off into an error of fact. When you say The Valachi Papers is a better film than The Godfather, you are wrong." 

-Film critic Gene Siskel-

The writers of The Godfather book, used the 1968 book written by Joe Valachi as research for their novel. Some of this would later appear in the movie version too, according to Charles Bronson.

I think both movies are great, and I don't see either one as superior to the other.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
50 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I don't see either one as superior to the other.

I think this proves ol' Gene right.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane

ShaOW!linDude
6 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Bruce Li’s five best films are better than Bruce Lee’s filmography.

Dude! What the...? I mean...Duuuuuuude. I don't know what to say. I just...it's...it's like a nuke went off. In my face. Dude...

(Yeah, okay, I get that.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Omni Dragon
9 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

2 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Dude! What the...? I mean...Duuuuuuude. I don't know what to say. I just...it's...it's like a nuke went off. In my face. Dude...

(Yeah, okay, I get that.)

2008728706_brucelibomb.jpg.3a43caaadbccf315ed507aca1eea2ec1.jpg

• Haha 4

One Armed Boxer
9 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

As a moderator I’ll kindly ask that we stick to only discussing opinions in this thread. The above statement is a fact.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

This may no longr be an un-popular opinion?.

Sure at one time those words would have lit a fire on a public movie forum. Not so much now, I can recall getting attacked on Bruce Lee forum just for having a Ho Chun Tao avatar. Now I feel fasn have moved on a lot more, or maybe not?.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Now I feel fasn have moved on a lot more, or maybe not?.

Nope. Compared to the Bruce Lee movies, anything that Bruce Li has done is like a steaming plate of dog turds...:BL-Delicious:

Tex Killer
On 1/27/2016 at 8:09 PM, chenzen said:

I think crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon,House of Flying daggers, and Hero are boring....

Not sure if that is such unpopular opinion among genre fans. Flicks look impressive but there is not much to offer in storyline and action departments.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Enter the Fat Dragon (the Sammo original) is crap. Also, Pedicab Driver isn't the classic many fans make it out to be. Both films have stellar action but everything else is mostly boring.

On 5/6/2020 at 1:17 PM, Drunken Monk said:

The question stands: Will you end finding Bruce Le's five best films better than Bruce Lee's filmography?

• Haha 1

Drunken Monk
17 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

The question stands: Will you end finding Bruce Le's five best films better than Bruce Lee's filmography?

I think the task I have is actually finding Bruce Lee’s best movies. It doesn’t seem like they’re set in concrete like Bruce Li (DynamoSoul Brothers of Kung Fu etc.).

I’ve watched three or four of his movies and so far, they’ve all just been kind of average. Nothing has blown my socks off.

4 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I’ve watched three or four of his movies and so far, they’ve all just been kind of average. Nothing has blown my socks off.

You've seen 'Treasure of--"; "Clones of--"; "Enter the Game of Death"; and "Bruce Le's Greatest Revenge", right?

Challenge of the Tiger and Bruce Strikes Back are sleazy fun. Beyond that, my experience is just as limited as yours.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1

Graeme Of Death

Can't believe Alexander Fu Sheng is considered some sort of legend.

Donnie Yen, Jet Li as much as I enjoy some of their films have no right be considered in the same league as Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao.

Bruce-ploitation films are embarrassing garbage.

There's no point in watching 1000 kung fu films made with the same actors, sets, plots etc or worse still cheap copycat films of the popular films as they all just merge in to one big film you can never remember. Classics will suffice :)

Edited by Graeme Of Death
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

Tower of Death is better than all of Bruce Lee’s movies.

Police Story 3 is better than Police Story 2.

Kung Fu Hustle is a mediocre movie at best. Journey to the West is a far better Stephen Chow film.

Dirty Ho is better than The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter.

I also don’t understand the never ending love for Alexander Fu Sheng.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Yeah, I don't think this counts as an "unpopular" opinion. As far as the Police Story films are concerned, an unpopular opinion would be more akin to liking First Strike or Police Story 2013 more than the first three.

51 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Dirty Ho is better than The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and Eight Diagram Pole Fighter.

I've never been a 36th Chamber fan.

1 hour ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Classics will suffice

Which classics are these?

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

Fist of Legend is overrated as fuck. Excuse my language, but it's the pussy version of Fist of Fury. 

Shaolin Handlock bores me.

Every time I put the disc in the player - I am hoping that something miraculously changed and there is actually a handlock in there somewhere. :Ayociexp122: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not a fan of JCVD,find most of his movies very boring and his fight scenes repetitive(always the same looking kicks and combinations)and why is it whenever he’s on a talk show or public appearance he can’t wait to bust a move but his films of the past ten years contain very little fight scenes?

Omni Dragon

I think I prefer A Better Tomorrow III over A Better Tomorrow II. Not in terms of action but as a movie overall. I might need to rewatch them though.

• Like 2

Graeme Of Death
16 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Yeah, I don't think this counts as an "unpopular" opinion. As far as the Police Story films are concerned, an unpopular opinion would be more akin to liking First Strike or Police Story 2013 more than the first three.

I've never been a 36th Chamber fan.

Which classics are these?

All I was meaning was just your top Sammo, Lau Kar Leung, Jackie Chan, Chang Cheh etc films in general as opposed to having like a 1000 kung fu films that are obviously all very similar and with the majority lacking in quality compared to those of the folk I mentioned. 

Same applies to any genre, horrors, westerns etc. I've been there where I've had a room full of about 5000 DVDs and blu rays, it's a wasted life.

• Like 1

Graeme Of Death
17 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Tower of Death is better than all of Bruce Lee’s movies.

Kung Fu Hustle is a mediocre movie at best. Journey to the West is a far better Stephen Chow film.

I also don’t understand the never ending love for Alexander Fu Sheng.

Is Tower of Death the other title for Game of Death? If so I'd disagree with that one, love the actual Bruce Lee scenes but the rest is terrible. 

Always loved Police Story 2, the ending is classic Jackie stuff. I'd say it's just slightly better than Police Story 3

But we definitely agree on Alex, I couldn't understand it when I found out he was such a big name. 

Edited by Graeme Of Death

Graeme Of Death
16 hours ago, mpm74 said:

Fist of Legend is overrated as fuck. Excuse my language, but it's the pussy version of Fist of Fury. 

Haha it is the pussy version of Fist of Fury but I still find it one of Jet Li's best and the scenes with him and Yusaiki Kurata are good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Graeme Of Death said:

Is Tower of Death the other title for Game of Death?

It's Game of Death 2, with Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee as the villain as Yuen Woo-Ping as the main fight choreographer (with some help from Sammo Hung and Corey Yuen).

• Like 4

Graeme Of Death
2 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

It's Game of Death 2, with Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee as the villain as Yuen Woo-Ping as the main fight choreographer (with some help from Sammo Hung and Corey Yuen).

Ah so it is, I've seen it but even with the appearance of a lot of the greats I couldn't get in to it. As I said not a fan of people acting like Bruce Lee