Unpopular opinion thread

Drunken Monk

3 hours ago, bigrogie said:

This one will definitely be against the grain: Legendary Weapons of China. I just hate it. I hated it the first time I saw it. Watched it again during the Holidays and hated it even more! I love most of Shaw movies but that one I just can't dig it. I find it extremely annoying to watch. :bs_confused:

I agree,apart from the finale to me this is just a mess and Fu Sheng like in most of his movies is just wasted.

On 1/23/2017 at 9:25 AM, bigrogie said:

This one will definitely be against the grain: Legendary Weapons of China. I just hate it. I hated it the first time I saw it. Watched it again during the Holidays and hated it even more! I love most of Shaw movies but that one I just can't dig it. I find it extremely annoying to watch. :bs_confused:

I agree with this a hundred percent. I re-watched it recently and it just isn't that good. It's just so annoying.

I think "Eight Diagram Pole Fighter" is overrated too and I find the final fight scene boring. The only outstanding thing about it is the fight between Phillip Ko Fei and Gordon Liu.

19 hours ago, inframan said:

"listen..." this might not be totally unpopular, "but still" I love old school English dubs.

I absolutely LOVE old school English dubs. I wish EVERY movie ever made could be dubbed with those all too familiar voices. :bs_coveredlaugh:

Many 36 Styles shirt designs are based on some English dub quotes from films, and many more designs to come will be also. :thumbsup

• Like 8

masterofoneinchpunch
47 minutes ago, SMK said:

I absolutely LOVE old school English dubs. I wish EVERY movie ever made could be dubbed with those all too familiar voices. :bs_coveredlaugh: ...

Hmmm, Taxi Driver with the old English dub crew.  "You talkin' to me" would take on all new dimensions.  Awesome dimensions.  I'm sure Peter Boyle would be paired by Wong Yat-Lung's English dub voice in Sleeping Fist.

• Like 4

ive never liked five venoms,rewatched and still dont like it !

Same with Legendary Weapons of China just doesnt do anything for me

• Like 1

I like Five Deadly Venoms more for its story than the action.  I agree on Legendary Weapons of China, though.  Too silly and weird.  Great finale aside. 

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Wow. I guess my unpopular opinion would be that I actually like Legendary Weapons of China. I mean...it's a freakin' smorgasbord of weapons!!! I found it kind of cool to see some of the non-typical apparatus on display. Would've like to see more those pop up in the old school flicks.

• Like 6

DragonClaws
On 01/03/2017 at 10:11 PM, inframan said:

"listen..." this might not be totally unpopular, "but still" I love old school English dubs.

I still have a soft spot for the old style dubs, but I dislike any of English re-dubs they did in the 90s. When I first got into Hong Kong cinema, most of the VHS tapes were dubbed. It did start to change in the 90s, when companys released both subbed or dubbed versions on VHS. This was mainly for the more well known/popular titles. The subtitled edtions were often more expensive too, and I would prefer to buy an extra film with the money I saved on the cheaper versions. Had to make the most of my limited teenage funds, at the time.

• Like 2

Omni Dragon

I found Dean Shek funny in Odd Couple (though I think this is dependent on my mood). 

Sammo Hung is the best Bruce Lee clone. 

I prefer Panna Rittikrai to Tony Jaa. Or maybe the movies starring Panna where closer in style to 80s HK new wave. 

I feel like I'm the only person who prefer the new dub for Drunken Master, though this is the only movie I can think of where I like the new dub over the old.

I think this one is likely to change, but I think Hitman might be my favourite Jet Li movie. (Though I've not really seen that many of his).

On 26/01/2016 at 10:17 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I think Donnie Yen's newer MA films are quite good.

I think there was a time when it felt to me like, Donnie's movies where the only decent MA movies coming out of HK.

On 02/03/2017 at 5:41 PM, SMK said:

I was never much a Donnie Yen fan until I watched Ip Man. :cool

When I the first watched Ip Man I was of the opinion it was good, but one Donnie's most overrated movies.

This is a big one: I haven't finished Seven Samurai. I've tried watching it maybe three times and the furthest I've gotten through it is maybe halfway. Just the first half that I've seen felt like 5 hours. I love the hell out of Rashomon though!

I don't care for House of Flying Daggers that much. I don't know why. It looks stunning, but I just don't care for it. I think a lot of that has to do with the acting. I notice in a lot of Zhang Yimou's movies, the acting isn't good or bad. Instead, the actors say their lines as deadpan and emotionless as physically possible. That might just be me.

Despite me liking Hero so far, I haven't finished it. Probably for the reasons I don't care for House of Flying Daggers.

I think other people have mentioned this before, but I think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is boring as hell. I did finish it though. The fights are amazing and it looks beautiful, but it feels like it's 4 hours long.

Armour of God, minus the last 20-30 minutes, is kinda annoying and crappy.

Castle of Cagliostro is one of the greatest animated movies of all time.

On 1/29/2016 at 9:21 AM, DrNgor said:

I feel the irrational desire to stop everything I'm doing and watch ROMEO MUST DIE and CRADLE 2 THE GRAVE whenever I'm channel surfing.

I don't know about Cradle 2 The Grave, but yeah, I really like Romeo Must Die.

On 3/6/2017 at 2:15 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

Masked Avengers >>> Five Deadly Venoms 

I think I have to agree. As far as Venom Mob movies go, I think I liked Masked AvengersInvincible Shaolin , and possible The Kid With the Golden Arm more than the original.

Another unpopular opinion: Crippled Avengers might be my least favorite Venom Mob movies. It's still not a bad movie whatsoever and it has a lot of fun moments, but I thought it was fine overall.

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
On 02/03/2017 at 6:34 PM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Hmmm, Taxi Driver with the old English dub crew.  "You talkin' to me" would take on all new dimensions.  Awesome dimensions.  I'm sure Peter Boyle would be paired by Wong Yat-Lung's English dub voice in Sleeping Fist.

GIALLO movies with the english dubs are superb in a hilarious manner. hand in hand with the kung fu classics.

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 1

Iron_Leopard

You know how this works. I'll start.

1. "Masked Avengers" is better than "Five Deadly Venoms"

2. "Disciples of the 36 Chambers" is better than "8 Diagram Pole Fighter"

3. Donnie Yen owes his 2005 and beyond career to Tony Jaa.

4. Too many Bruce Lee fan boys in UFC. He would not be a champion in that sport like they all say he would.

5. Jet Li should have kept his promise and retired after "Fearless"

I feel like I'm the only person who prefer the new dub for Drunken Master.

I'd add I think I prefer the newer English dub for Wheels on Meals as well. Not too sure why. Maybe it's because I grew up with the newer dubs for those 2, but still I also grew up with the newer dub for Police Story as well, yet I prefer the older one on that.

TheFlyingPanda

:monk_laughing: Enjoying the riffs. 

I too am not fond of Dean Shek (in most cases) and found Paul Wei pretty annoying too.

Yup, Fist of Fury is Lee's best.

Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon is definitely overrated and given way to much praise. 

I cant handle many old school Inde Kung Fu movie scores and music to the point I almost want to re incert the appropriate tunes.  Examples a few Brucexploitation films, Hong Kong Crime Fu films, some of Chan's old stuff, Ocean Shores stuff and so on like annoying over-dramatic score in a scene we are suppose to feel sorry for the character. 

Not a fan of Jimmy Wang Yu as well, but I admit, I do enjoy some of his films.

I Like Newer Dubs more than the old-school ones, but always prefer Original language even if they speak Klingon. 

Jackie Chan's last good Action packed Stunt movie in a lead role was Who Am I? His last Good movie in a supporting role was Shaolin 

Lone Wolf and Cub is the best Ninja and Samurai combined film till today hands down.  :BL-Hypnotize:

Edited by TheFlyingPanda
  • Like 4

TheKungFuRobber

Fist of Legend was the most boring pile of shit I've ever sat through and Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin is highly overrated in the martial arts world.

Hitman in the Hand of Buddha was better than Drunken Master by far, and Hwang Jang Lee should have made more movies as a protagonist character. I cried at the end of Canton Viper when

Spoiler

Hwang get's killed by his adoptive son

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

Fist of Legend was the most boring pile of shit I've ever sat through and Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin is highly overrated in the martial arts world.

Wow, that required a lot of moxy. That second bit hit me right in the heart.

• Like 4

ShaOW!linDude
On 1/11/2018 at 5:59 PM, TheKungFuRobber said:

I cried at the end of Canton Viper when

Spoiler

Hwang get's killed by his adoptive son

I don't know that I'll ever get to see this, and you never know who might, so...spoilers, dude.

• Like 1

TheKungFuRobber
2 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

I don't know that I'll ever get to see this, and you never know who might, so...spoilers, dude.

It's on YouTube to watch. I'd say check it out, it's a good film but much more emphasis on drama than solid martial arts. It's a very nice film all in all. Very touching, probably Hwang Jang Lee's finest work as a director.

• Like 2

TheFlyingPanda
On 11/01/2018 at 10:59 PM, TheKungFuRobber said:

Hitman in the Hand of Buddha was better than Drunken Master by far, and Hwang Jang Lee should have made more movies as a protagonist character. I cried at the end of Canton Viper when Hwang

Man why do I love that movie... Perhaps nostalgia in my Youthful Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do days? When Will we see a Remastered Hitman in the Hand of Budda on Blu-Ray? 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 10:53 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

3. Donnie Yen owes his 2005 and beyond career to Tony Jaa.

Can you explain this one? Do you just mean Tony Jaa reinvigorated the genre?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Can you explain this one? Do you just mean Tony Jaa reinvigorated the genre?

Yeah that's all I really meant. Wasnt Donnie's career sort of in a rut at this point in time? I was always under the impression "SPL" was his answer to "Ong Buk". Competition is good for everyone. So without Jaa coming along and reigniting the genre Yen would probably still be making below average movies and occasionally having small roles in slightly better ones (Hero/Shanghi Knights).

So Tony basically forced Donnie to bring his A game.

Edited by Iron_Leopard
  • Like 1