Unpopular opinion thread

Drunken Monk

I didn't like Crouching tiger hidden dragon either and was surprised that it was so praised.

And as Lady Jin Szu-Yi said, I like Ti Lung AND David Chiang.

I'm not very fond of the modern martial arts movies either, I don't like the special effects and the slow motions in these movies.

And sorry, but it seems to me that Furious slaughter isn't a Shaw Brothers' movies, unless I'm mistaken...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm not a great fan of Chow Yun Fat. Even if I appreciated him in the TVB series The Fate, there's still something taht distrbs me when I watch him...

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I didn't like Crouching tiger hidden dragon either and was surprised that it was so praised.

And as Lady Jin Szu-Yi said, I like Ti Lung AND David Chiang.

I'm not very fond of the modern martial arts movies either, I don't like the special effects and the slow motions in these movies.

And sorry, but it seems to me that Furious slaughter isn't a Shaw Brothers' movies, unless I'm mistaken...

You are right ShawAngela, I stand corrected and will now sit in the horse stance for the entire weekend. It was made in 1972 a good few years he left Shaw Brothers studio.

• Like 5

I feel the irrational desire to stop everything I'm doing and watch ROMEO MUST DIE and CRADLE 2 THE GRAVE whenever I'm channel surfing.

I don't care for THE STORMRIDERS.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I feel the irrational desire to stop everything I'm doing and watch ROMEO MUST DIE and CRADLE 2 THE GRAVE whenever I'm channel surfing.

I don't care for THE STORMRIDERS.

I don't remember much about Craddle 2 grave, but I enjoyed Romeo must die a lot.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

And i didn't like Legend of the wolf with Donnie Yen...

I like to think this isn't an unpopular opinion. That film is a travesty.

• Like 2

I actually enjoy 2011's "Shaolin".

I think "Broken Oath" is Angela Mao's best film and that it's massively underrated among fans.

"The Grandmaster" is the best Ip Man film.

I feel that Lam Ching Ying is under-appreciated as an on screen fighter, despite being in what I feel are some of the best fights of all time.

"Seven Swords" really isn't that bad.

Brandon Lee only ever put out on good piece of entertainment in his (short) life...and that was "The Crow".

"Reign of Assassins" is one of the best recent Wu Xia films and is much better than Donnie Yen's "Wu Xia".

• Like 3

Secret Executioner
35 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

These statements I'd agree with - though I could go with Legend is born over The Grandmaster as my fav' Ip Man movie. :cool  But yeah, Seven Swords is actually a pretty good one.

• Like 1

Also a Seven Swords fan.  And a True Legend fan.  Rob-B-Hood fan too (this one has gotten better over the years for me).  

I'm pretty easy to please with these movies.  It's created a lot of unpopular opinions.  I'll have to think of some more...

• Like 3

'Unpopular opinions', funny lil' thread to let off some steam, huh? OK, here we go...

As long as I can remember I could muster up nothing but disdain for that whole white boy wet dream Marvel/Disney PG 13 superhero universe that a considerable number of muchachos here seem to gravitate towards.

Always found it hard to sit through any JCVD films. To me Van Damme was, as James Mudge (from Eastern Kicks) once rightfully called him, simply an "artless and dreadful" actor. Dude annoyed me even in the decent last UNIVERSAL SOLDIER instalment (well, admittedly not as much as Lundgren did, but stil...).

It wasn't until I recently saw CREED that I realized Stallone could  actually... act.

And, er... are these really 'unpopular' opinions on this forum...

5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I actually enjoy 2011's "Shaolin".

I think "Broken Oath" is Angela Mao's best film and that it's massively underrated among fans.

I feel that Lam Ching Ying is under-appreciated as an on screen fighter, despite being in what I feel are some of the best fights of all time.

Brandon Lee only ever put out on good piece of entertainment in his (short) life...and that was "The Crow".

"Reign of Assassins" is one of the best recent Wu Xia films and is much better than Donnie Yen's "Wu Xia".

1. Benny Chan's SHAOLIN easily qualifies as 'enjoyable'.

2. BROKEN OATH is Mao Ying's best film (well, let's say it would come down to a photo finish between that and HAPKIDO).

3. THE GRANDMASTER is nothing less than a masterpiece, but on a different beat I appreciate all the Yip Man films tremendously. YIP MAN - THE FINAL FIGHT demonstrated what you can artistically achieve even with a modest budget if you have a creative production designer and a world-class actor (who probably embodied the spirit of the master better than any other actor so far).

4. Who's the knucklehead "under-appreciating" Lam Ching Ying, blood ? Anybody who knows anything about MA and classic kung-fu cinema rates the brother!

5. Can't say much about Brandon Lee's output, ain't seen THE CROW, but I though LEGACY OF RAGE, while certainly in no way up there with, say, YES MADAM or the IN THE LINE OF DUTY films, was aiight though.

6. SEVEN SWORDS really isn't "that bad"? Beg your pardon, Monk? Despite same flaws and some very tacky FX shots, I think of it as the last really satisfying Tsui Hark venture (not counting TRIANGLE here, that 'relay film' from 2007 where Tsui did an excellent job in building atmosphere and introducing characters in the opening segment). Re-watched SEVEN SWORDS recently and rated it even higher than back when it first dropped. Which might have had something to do with my utter dismay of seeing THE TAKING OF TIGER MOUNTAIN descending into (yet another) inane CGI orgy in the final reel.

7. REIGN OF ASSASSINS is indeed one of the best Wuxia efforts in the last half dozen years or so - and inexplicably its hardly talked about much. But all things considered (Peter Chan's) WU XIA was still the better film and it will last longer. Irrespective of the fights, the superior character development, the outstanding cinematography and the mesmerizing Yunnan locations alone makes this a seminal piece of modern Chinese-language cinema.

Edited by Sheng
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sheng said:

6. SEVEN SWORDS really isn't "that bad"? Beg your pardon, Monk? Despite same flaws and some very tacky FX shots, I think of it as the last really satisfying Tsui Hark venture (not counting TRIANGLE here, that 'relay film' from 2007 where Tsui did an excellent job in building atmosphere and introducing characters in the opening segment). Re-watched SEVEN SWORDS recently and rated it even higher than back when it first dropped. Which might have had something to do with my utter dismay of seeing THE TAKING OF TIGER MOUNTAIN descending into (yet another) inane CGI orgy in the final reel.

Yeah but Sheng, a LOT of people don't feel this way.  I think it's awesome that you do and a lot of people here do, but clearly the film didn't succeed. They had aspirations for sequels which never materialized because of poor box office.  At least they got a TV show out of it (which I still haven't seen yet sadly).  

To me, this definitely qualifies as "unpopular".

EDIT: Ah, I see you said "on this forum" above.  Looks like I jumped the gun on this comment.  It's still a general unpopular opinion, but yes, less so on this forum.

Edited by massa_yoda
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2016 at 5:19 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

I have never seen a Jimmy Wang film worth a flip. Yeah, he has screen presence and is a good actor, but is an atrocious screen fighter. How anyone who hasn't been sufficiently drugged can sit through a movie of his, I don't know. (No, wait, that wouldn't work either. They'd just pass out sooner. Ah, maybe that's the answer then. To pass out sooner so as not to watch the entire film.)

jimmy is the king of kung fu trolls not many understand his humour tho. :tongueout

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Jimmy Wang Yu might not be my favorite screen fighter but I still find a lot of his films entertaining. Furious Slaughter is one of my favorite Shaw Brothers films even if the fight choreography isn't elegantly staged.

I might sound like ass here but get your facts straight, furious slaughter is not shaw movie..

But skipping that I even as huge fan of JWY do find at least 40% of his movies I have watched something is like so so..At best they are tremendous what jimmy loses in screen fighting abilities he more than makes it up in drama level.

Over the topp done slaughter of course helps!

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 1

Secret Executioner
15 hours ago, Sheng said:

As long as I can remember I could muster up nothing but disdain for that whole white boy wet dream Marvel/Disney PG 13 superhero universe that a considerable number of muchachos here seem to gravitate towards.

I can tolerate this franchise - I actually saw and enjoyed most of the movies, though I can understand why one couldn't get into them. The rules are a bit odd at points, like when you have to wait for his fourth - or fifth ? - movie appearance to see Tony Stark be attacked on a personal level when EVERYBODY knows he's Iron Man... :dull  Reminds me of that big-headed Hulk foe from the comics who doesn't want to kill him as Bruce Banner but in his Hulk form, but somehow in the comics it works better cause the reasons are explained (ego).

The big franchise that I never got is Star Wars. I've tried to get into these films several times, but I never could get into it. But the huge hype over the new movie and Disney making the SW universe another big franchise à la MCU with a couple of movies a year pretty much killed the franchise for me. I guess I can now turn to the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stuff and maybe that I'll get into without overthinking details or having the franchise turned into a cash grab with unneeded sequels and spin-offs thrown at the public - at least the many references in pop culture and the hype (though I heard more critical opinions too) haven't killed these movies for me the way they killed SW.

15 hours ago, Sheng said:

I found the Detective Dee weren't too bad actually. In spite of some heavy CG at points, they are very enjoyable movies and I prefer them over Seven Swords - TBH, the first one was my introduction to Tsui Hark (and Chinese cinema) so maybe I'm very biased about it, but I have no problem saying it's my fav' Tsui Hark film. But (in keeping with unpopular ideas) I would say Seven Swords is way better than OUATIC. :nodding 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

I might sound like ass here but get your facts straight, furious slaughter is not shaw movie..

But skipping that I even as huge fan of JWY do find at least 40% of his movies I have watched something is like so so..At best they are tremendous what jimmy loses in screen fighting abilities he more than makes it up in drama level.

Over the topp done slaughter of course helps!

I don't want to sound like an ass either but ShaswAngela kindly corrected me on the subject of Furious Slaughter already.

Here's her post and my reply.

22 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

22 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

You are right ShawAngela, I stand corrected and will now sit in the horse stance for the entire weekend. It was made in 1972 a good few years he left Shaw Brothers studio.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
17 minutes ago, Secret Executioner said:

found the Detective Dee weren't too bad actually. In spite of some heavy CG at points,

I liked Andy Lau as Detective Dee, but the gross misuse of CGI and other things  took me clean out of the film and got on my nerves to the point of disliking it. 

I can completely understand your disinterest in Star Wars, Secret.  My taste in fantasy is veering toward 70s and 80s wu xia and my long-standing enjoyment of Robert E. Howard's various works (especially Solomon Kane and Conan.)  So anything else is taken rather lightly or not at all these days. I am very, very picky about what I like. 

• Like 2

I think Chen Sing has great screen presence and a teaming of him & Lo Lieh would have made a great duo at Shaws.   

Lo Lieh & Chen Pei-pei made a great duo & had good chemistry.  I like their partnership better than most, they had that "beauty & the Beast" thing going on.

The pairing of Fu Sheng, Ti Lung & Sun Chung were great. They could have been the next "Iron Triangle" - and an even better one.

Although I enjoyed it, I didn't care much for CTHD.

I love Hero & House of Flying Daggers.

A lot of people hate on Wei Pei, I like the guy. I think that he bring "balance" to the venom team. You had the fighting, the comedy & he brought the drama.

Fist Of Fury is the only Bruce movie I care for.

I like The "Young Master"  better than " Drunken Master"  & think it is a better film.

Add me to the list of those who love Seven Swords.

• Like 4

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
7 minutes ago, thekfc said:

The pairing of Fu Sheng, Ti Lung & Sun Chung were great. They could have been the next "Iron Triangle" - and an even better one.

:monk_toasting:

Yes, they all worked quite well together.  I still feel that Fu gave Sun his best performances ever. 

Add Chan Wai Man as the perpetual baddie and boo-yah! 

• Like 2

Ive noticed Fist Of Fury often gets rated higher than Lee's other Martial Arts films. I don't rate any of his movies that highly to be honest. I think they all have a varying amount of good and bad elements in them. Bruce Lee's talent and charisma is what made them entertaining to watch for some people. Now had he lived and got to make a film with good production values my opinion might be different. 

• Like 6

I think Bruce Lee was a better fighter than an actor.

Jackie Chan needs to retire. I've seen the same fight choreography in nearly all his films and I think he's out of ideas...

Sammo is God...

Brigitte Lin needs to come out of retirement, as does Ruby Wong (Where a Good Man Goes)....Carina Lau needs a kickass role because she's a kickass actress...

Zhang Ziyi really stinks as an actor - and tired of directors using her over better actresses that can actually carry a role....Edit to add "Hero" was epic, I absolutely loved that film, especially the fight scene between Jet and Donnie.

Laura

Edited by Chatnoir
  • Like 3

I'm beginning to dislike the so called martial arts movies coming out right now,Jackie looks tired and seems uninterested(I think he needs  to reinvent himself) and everyone else seems unable to do a fight sequence without the aid of a wire and quick cuts and editing to hide the fact the are not that skilled.

• Like 2

This one will definitely be against the grain: Legendary Weapons of China. I just hate it. I hated it the first time I saw it. Watched it again during the Holidays and hated it even more! I love most of Shaw movies but that one I just can't dig it. I find it extremely annoying to watch. :bs_confused:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bigrogie said:

This one will definitely be against the grain: Legendary Weapons of China. I just hate it. I hated it the first time I saw it. Watched it again during the Holidays and hated it even more! I love most of Shaw movies but that one I just can't dig it. I find it extremely annoying to watch. :bs_confused:

It´s garbage. Only good thing in flick is liu chia hui. Even the applaused end fight is not that great, looks more like work out than actual fight.

I hated it too when saw first time from warner UK vhs. And during then I did not get to see that much new kung fu and liked almost everything. Almost, this did not do back then. And it have not changed, I keep it only for collecting purpose. Never going to watch 3rd time...

Edited by Tex Killer

8 Diagram Pole Fighter is wack. 

Don't care for Fu Sheng. He's annoying most of the time and almost single-handedly ruined a few films.

Carter Wong stomps around and makes goofy faces. Awful as an on-screen fighter.

I liked Seven Swords too. The 2nd time watching made it better somehow. Was cool to see old Shaw dudes like LKL, Pai Piao, and CKC.

• Angry 1